Life After UNIBE (A MUST READ) - {from an alumnis perspective}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dksamp

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
Derek Sampson here. This post is LONG overdue, as well as just plain LONG (sorry for the length). I would have posted it earlier, but, I have been EXTREMELY busy here in the family practice program. Now that I have some downtime, I can write and give you a quality response.
First, I'd like to send out a hearty congratulations to all those folks who are graduating at the end of the semester. Y'all have worked hard and have EARNED that degree. Many people have wondered what life is like after UNIBE. I will attemt to answer them all as well as throw in my $0.02.

First, people want to know how IMG-friendly the US is. Well let me answer it the best way I can:
That is a VERY broad question. The US is a VERY big and diverse place. There are DEFINITELY IMG-friendly areas, and there are areas that are not. The BIGGEST mistake people make is define who is friendly vs. not friendly by the hospital or the university sponsoring the program. A more correct way to ask the question is asking for IMG-FRIENDLY PROGRAMS. A hospital is a big unit with many programs in it. Each program has their own program director who sets the admission criteria and the friendly/or unfriendly IMG tone. You can have one hospital with an IMG-friendly Fam Prac program and an IMG-unfriendly anesthesia program. So when you are on the hunt for programs, look for IMG friendly PROGRAMS, not hospitals/universities.
Also, different programs within a same hospital may have different USMLE cutoff points. This reminds me of a University here in the midwest that has 5 different Family practice programs under its umbrella. each one of those had their own director and admission criteria. Within the SAME university, I got an invite for an interview with one branch, and then a rejection letter without interview with another branch. Ain't that a trip?
A LOT of the stuff (a.k.a. rumors) you hear while at UNIBE from your fellow students is nothing but attempted mental sabotage. Certain individuals who feel bad/insecure about themselves, try to project their feelings and make others miserable. Here is a sampling of the WILD rumors I heard while at UNIBE...(tell me if you heard these ones too)..This is my RUMOR vs. REALITY comparison.

Rumor: Tuition is going up

Reality: Only 1 tuition increase while I was there. (from 2250 to 2900). Most US schools raise their EVERY year. (UNIBE's tuition is probably a little higher now)

Rumor: You can't get a good USMLE score coming from here. (that was before ppl started busting high 80's and 90's)

Reality: I along with others scored in the mid-80's (in my case as well as my roomate, we didn't use any kaplan course (couldn't afford it...Did it on our own)

Rumor: You'll get no respect in the US coming from the DR

Reality: The amount of respect you get in the US is directly proportional to :
a) your attitude
b) how well you get along with people
c) your abilities and willingness to learn...PERIOD. As an FMG, I am well respected in my place of work by attendings, staff, associates, and patients. I have ZERO problem mentioning that I went to school in the Dominican Republic. And being the only fluent Spanish speaker in the clinic helps too :)

Rumor: I won't know as much as the US students...boo hoo hoo :-(

Reality: What you know is directly proportional to:
a) were you studying from the beginning?? or just going with the flow and expecting Kaplan to help you play catch-up.
b) time spent devoted to studying. The time and energy devoted to complaining and seeking out other schools to transfer to could have
been used to study and build up your knowledge base.

Rumor: (this one is my favorite): I hear that (fill the blank with your favorite newly-started off-shore med school) is accepting transfers and has clinicals in the states, I'm outa here. I want to do REAL clinicals.

Reality: I and Dr. Holbrook already addressed this issue in a recent post. There is not one shred of evidence that the END OUTCOME (the only TRUE measuring stick) is any better/superior to those that stay at UNIBE, pass boards, and graduate.

Rumor: Unibe is only recognized in X (fill in any random number) states

Reality: I can make this a REALLY long post, but I wont, so I will give the abbreviated version...With the obvious exception of California, UNIBE has NO licensing problems in any state. Even those states with stringent requirements (pennsylvania...4000 hours of medical school and 72 weeks of clinicals, UNIBE meets those requirements (4250 hrs of medical school and 74 weels of clinicals - I graduated in the OLD curriculum), and there are UNIBE grads in Pennsylvania now. As for California, it is only a matter of filing out the documentation, paying the money for the inspection, and getting the inspection done. I'm sure UNIBE can easily pass inspection, it is just a matter of filing the MOUNTAINS of paperwork and paying the fee. Before that, if some brave intrepid soul wants to go to California, that person may be in a legal battle for a couple of years before he/she MIGHT get in. Because of the large amounts of money it would cost to take them to court, all the UNIBE grads from California just applies to other states as it is less headache and lesser drain on the wallet.
IF a state decided to give an UNIBE grad any problems, barring something negative in the persons file (ex. too many USMLE failures - many states place a limit on how many times you can fail, or a felony conviction), a simple court challenge can EASILY defeat a discriminatory state medical board.

You mentioned that you want to go to Texas, as you are from there. Texas is a good place. There are a few UNIBE grads there...2 in El Paso and 2 others somewhere else (I don't remember where). Neighboring Oklahoma has 3 UNIBE grads there. I remember 3 folks in residency in nebraska. Just apply all over. The midwest is NOT so congested, so your chances may be better in this region than in the coastal areas.

Now here is the flip side......

Are there UNIBE grads that after many years and multiple board attempts STILL haven't passed and are not in residency??? YES
It is a sad situation, but ever since the first graduating class of the English program, there has always been a few ppl whom after many attempts at the USMLE, have not passed. But let's put things in perspective. I have discussed this topic previously in OLD posts...

The percentage of people who succeed via the foreign route is directly related to the presence or absence of FILTERS employed by the school. In schools like St. Georges, unless you have a high GPA and HIGH MCAT scores (which many US medical educators feel is a predictor of USMLE success), you don't get admitted. That is filter #1. Filter #2 happens during the basic sciences. If you fail more than 2 calsses, you win a date with the promotions committee and may be dismissed from medschool. Filter #3 is the USMLE, if you fail it 3 times at a US school, that buys you an AUTOMATIC DISMISSAL. That is a FACT. Most foreign schools DON'T have these filters, so you get a mixed bag of students in a WIDE spectrum from the serious hard core "gunner" types all the way down to the complainer/slacker/skirt chaser/partier who would have easily been filtered out in the previous system I described. For the foreign grad, though, there is just one huge filter which is at the end of the line, that is the USMLE/ECFMG process.

Another problem that people don't want to own up to is what I called "unconquered demons syndrome". let me illustrate a ficticious case example..

John Doe went to Brand X Univ in NY. Historically, John Doe had never been good at standardized tests, and has never taken any steps to resolve that problem. Also when in College, John never really studied much, and wasn't very disciplined. And when it came to the premed core classes, he barely made C's. When John Doe takes the MCAT, he gets his butt kicked. Needless to say, he gets rejected from all US schools he applies to. He says "Screw them, I'll go the foreign route". Off he goes.....
John gets accepted to medical school on the Island of St. Jock, a relatively new school with a pretty much open admissions policy. While there, when he's not chasing the local women, he is constantly complaining to his fellow classmates...
"This place sucks, the US is FAR superior to this dump!!"
"These classes are useless. I'm just gonna get by with old tests. Right when I finish basic science, I'm taking a semester off, go to Kaplan back in NY and rock a 90 on my boards so I can transfer to a REAL school."
"My plan is to rock the boards and transfer to the US for clinicals. My uncle Dexter is an cardiologist at BFE medical center affiliated with brand Y med school. I got a connection.
"There is NO WAY I'd want to do my clinicals here."

John finishes the basic sciences, goes back to NY, and takes Kaplan.when done, he takes the USMLE and scores a 65. He then goes back to St. Jock still talking trash and spreading rumors, blaming "this inferior school" for my USMLE failure. John finally graduaes, and heads back to the states, retakes Kaplan, and 3 more board attempts later, he still cannot pass. Meanwhile, he uses every chance to trash his old alma mater on the FMG discussion forums.

The MORAL of this story...before ANYONE goes off to a foreign school, one needs to do a serious "check-up-from-the-neck-up". One needs to HONESTLY assess their strengths and weaknesses. If an individual was a poor test taker with poor academic discipline, running offshore didn't conquer that demon. Changing location didn't solve a thing. I don't care how good/bad a professor is, that does not exculpate the individual student from studying and transferring the material "from book to brain". If basic sciences could be taught in 6 weeks, it would. There is a reason why basic sciences take 2 years to study.

So to all the prospective students who are contemplating going abroad, honestly assess yourself and your strenghts and weaknesses, conquer your demons first BEFORE you head abroad. It will save you a whole lot of time and headache in the future. And with that, I close...PEACE!!!!!

-Derek
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

NICE POST!!

you rock doc!! I think i've gotten more motivation after reading that, it gives me more hope.

Just out of curiosity you mentioned dominican republic.....i take it you went to Ross?

thanks again!

i graduated from unibe also and would just like to let you guys know that, from my friends who graduated within the last couple of years
3-nyc
4-michigan
1-ohio
3-chicago
3-north carolina
there are others that are doing residencies in other places but i have only listed the ones that i know of personally.....my turn is coming up next july, i am currently interviewing and have 26 offers including several university programs as of today, so if you are disciplined and motivated--its a piece of cake!

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
it is great to see dr. sampson on this board. i have read him at the Hanson Guide to Foreign Medical Schools, and he is a voice of reason in a sea of ignorance over there. the most important thing to understand is that no matter where you go, you get out what you put in. thanks for the post doc!

Interesting!

I wish people do care where I came from(Oxford), but no one ever does. I guess it also goes for graduates of DR. From my experience so far, your colleagues will give you more credit if you are knowledgable and well-spoken. Though I don't agree with such shallow judgement, it's how the real world works. An IMG from Germany in our PGY1 is so eloquent in her communication that she is the star of our IM program at Stanford. The IMG issue automatically becomes less than negligible.

There are so many threads currently dealing with the subject of Caribbean schools, IMGs, "competitive" residencies, etc. that I thought I'd resurrect this excellent post from 2001 by dksamp.

In particular, read the "unconquered demons syndrome" part. I've been an SDNer for a long time, once considering US MD schools, then becoming dead set on attending DO school (yes, I declined a spot in a US MD school to attend OU-COM in case you're wondering...and I know you are), and considered the Caribbean (particularly Saba) as my Plan B in case I didn't get into DO schools. This dksamp post is one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum, and I thought some of you might appreciate its message.

any chance you have information regarding the pharmacy school at unibe costa rica
i just got accepted i wanted to find out if i attend that school graduate then come back to the US can i take the foreign exam and naplex or will i have to do more schooling when i get back?

How would a black african american male who does not currently speak spanish be treated/received at UNIBE school of medicine in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic? Should one take the basic pre-med classes and learn to speak/write spanish while in the states first and then apply and make preparations to attend UNIBE? ... or can the pre-med courses be learned there in tandem whilst learning Spanish?

Thanks in advance.

Update to this post: UNIBE School of Medicine is a **** show. Complete scam

The program is totally self study. But its to the point that the professors are complete unqualified and exams have questions that are totally unfair. The university claims to have an English program, but its so fake. More than half of the professors can't even speak fluent english, meaning presentations are even in spanish. The dean has a superiority complex or something - cuz hes crazy and loves to tell you that youre basically a piece of ****. IT IS ALL A SCAM!!!!

Im currently a student and I've spend 2+ years here and I'm so transferring out to any place that might take me. Ive been pushed to the breaking point too many times - Close to mental breakdowns. And I'm not the only one. at least 5 of my class mates that i know of have had to see psychologists and therapists because of what this school does. It breaks you down, it destroys any motivation you have. And if you wanna complain? HAHAHA they laugh straight in your face and tell you thats basically what you signed up for. You're nothing more than money to them.

Classes can be from 8am-10pm, and then you have one exam every single week. And in the 7th, you have two exams every week.

Let's talk about the grading system now. You start out the semester with 100 points. Lets say the first exam is 20 points, that means the test is 40 questions meaning each question is worth half of a point. Let's say you score 50% in the exam - that means you missed 20 questions - minus 10 points. How is this scored? haha, now you subtract 10 points from the 100 you started with. Boom- after the first exam youre at a 90, say goodbye to getting an A.

So, passing grade is a 70. Now for the major classes like Anatomy in 5th semester, Physiology in 6th semester, and Neuroanatomy/Pharmacology in 7th semester, you have an exam called an NBME. Guess how much that is worth..... 20 points. You can fail a course EASY just by not doing well on the NMBE..

Now lets talk realistically. Lets talk about Anatomy (which is 15 weeks):
-the first exam is upper/lower limb, worth 20 points. lets say you get an average of 13/20. Minus 7 points ----you are at a 93.
-second exam - thorax and back - worth 15 points. Average was about 11/15 - minus 4 points----now youre at 89. Bye A.
-Third exam - abdomen, pelvis - worth 15 points. Average was 10/15 - minus 5 points----youre at 85.
-LAB! the cadavers are BLACKKKK, you can hardly identify anything at all. and you also have 2 lab exams and you have the potential to lose 30 points. so lets say you got a 12/15 on the first lab exam - minus 3 points. and you got an 11/15 on the second one. Minus 4 points...Now youre total grade is a 78..
-You still have an NMBE national shelf exam worth 20 points! and you can only miss 8 points or else youre below a 70, and you fail the class. And the best part? they give you a week to prepare for it, and in between that week, you have your finals for all of the other classes youre talking this semester. Good luck trying to pass..

I can't even tell you how many students have failed courses. And granted in these group of students who failed, some of them didn't study. But some of those other students graduated summa cum laude. What does that tell you?

I can go on and on about this. If anyone has any questions, please email me, even if its 5 years after this post. [email protected]