Licensing Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffywannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my Nevada license and I was looking at the prices and it's almost double for physicians than it is for mid-level providers. I'm trying not be annoyed and wondering if there was any legit reason we pay more. I can't imagine the amount of work for the government would be any more for physicians (though I don't know for sure). If it's just another group that jumped on the physician money train I guess I'll just get over it but maybe someone has an actual rational reason this occurs I'd love to know.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my Nevada license and I was looking at the prices and it's almost double for physicians than it is for mid-level providers. I'm trying not be annoyed and wondering if there was any legit reason we pay more. I can't imagine the amount of work for the government would be any more for physicians (though I don't know for sure). If it's just another group that jumped on the physician money train I guess I'll just get over it but maybe someone has an actual rational reason this occurs I'd love to know.
u got it. money train. same reason why cme conferences for physicians are higher.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What's with the atrocious difference in initial licensing fees? Ex: Maine $700 vs PA $35
Figured Maine being more remote/needing to attract more physicians would be cheaper...but guess there's different reasoning :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are nursing licenses a few bucks and we pay 750? Because they can. I get absolutely nothing more from the board than what nurse get which really is just a piece of paper.

What's with the atrocious difference in initial licensing fees? Ex: Maine $700 vs PA $35
Figured Maine being more remote/needing to attract more physicians would be cheaper...but guess there's different reasoning :shrug:

$35 is probably still too expensive for a PA license. They could offer to pay me and i still wouldnt get it.

I also like how our initial licenses tend to be good for under a year then require a renewal fee.

The dea license for the privilege of using the most mandatory medications in existence in this country to fund their armored helicopters and pretend swat teams is also amusing. Why not tax the people who buy the narcotics?

Reactions: 1 user
I also like how our initial licenses tend to be good for under a year then require a renewal fee.

The dea license for the privilege of using the most mandatory medications in existence in this country to fund their armored helicopters and pretend swat teams is also amusing. Why not tax the people who buy the narcotics?

OMG. I had never previously thought of that. Good on yah.

We're taxing people who need to prescribe narcotics to pay for soldiers to kill people who sell narcotics.

OMG. I had never previously thought of that. Good on yah.

We're taxing people who need to prescribe narcotics to pay for soldiers to kill people who sell narcotics.

Scratch that.

We're taking physicians who need to prescribe narcotics to the people who need to use narcotics to pay for soldiers to kill people that sell narcotics to people who don't need narcotics.

And ultimately, the soldiers who kill people that sell narcotics to the people who don't need narcotics... will likely need narcotics.

And ultimately, the soldiers who kill people that sell narcotics to the people who don't need narcotics... will likely need narcotics.
Nobody needs narcotics. Nobody has ever died from narcoticopenia.
imrs.php

The sooner we realize this, the sooner we get this problem under control. Remember, 1 in 5 people given a 6 day supply are still on them in a year.

imrs.php

The sooner we realize this, the sooner we get this problem under control. Remember, 1 in 5 people given a 6 day supply are still on them in a year.

I admit that I took some creative literary license with my statement, but I still see a true need for narcotic analgesia in the world of modern medicine. Maybe not in the roles that we have come to be so accustomed to encountering them, but yeah... there's still a *need*.

It's also disgusting how initial licenses in most states aren't pro-rated.

My state all licenses expire in odd years. Since I got my initial license in an even year (paying full price), it only lasted me a year instead of two.

I admit that I took some creative literary license with my statement, but I still see a true need for narcotic analgesia in the world of modern medicine. Maybe not in the roles that we have come to be so accustomed to encountering them, but yeah... there's still a *need*.
Not really. Especially now with ketamine. I'm not arguing we shouldn't address pain, I'm arguing we shouldn't use the mu receptor.

I didn't even bring up this part. My nevada license expired before I even get to start working... I had to get it though so I had time to apply for my DEA. So I paid a $1000 initial fee and immediately paid a $750 renewal. When I found out I had to renew so quickly I may have thrown my phone across the room... An unanticipated $750 hit on a resident salary is really not cool. The phone is fine BTW, there are reasons I am a doc and not a pro athlete :)

imrs.php

As I an sure you are aware people will waste an enormous amount of resources trying to obtain narcotics. On their 4th er visit in a week and they refuse to walk due to pain what do you do? When they can't participate with pt due to pain what then?

As I an sure you are aware people will waste an enormous amount of resources trying to obtain narcotics. On their 4th er visit in a week and they refuse to walk due to pain what do you do? When they can't participate with pt due to pain what then?

Do nothing. I end the encounter, and print my discharge instructions. It is up to the charge nurse/house supervisor/security to figure out how to remove the patient.

Unlike brush fires, which can be put out with more fire, giving narcotics to addicts won't solve anything. And if you want that 4th visit to be the last one, you won't give them anything. Otherwise, you've guaranteed a 5th, 6th, and 750th visit.

Back on topic....don't complain too much about the licensing process and associated fees. That is part of the barrier to entry that keeps your income up.