Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I had a question about 3rd and 4th year rotations. Do they all have to be at a LUCOM core site, even fourth year? (not counting the electives-I assume we can set those up ourselves if we want to go elsewhere)

Hey there, from what I understand, you have to choose from one of the rotation sites they have already set up. That being said, if you find a site that hasn't already been established for LUCOM, you can try to contact them and see if they're interested in taking (I think) at least 10 students. It might be 15 students, I can't remember the specifics. The past two years, they've set up new rotation sites. The program is obviously expanding, so new sites will most likely continuing to pop up, but right now there are numerous sites even around the country that LUCOM has established for us.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello future classmates! Does anyone know the dates for the class of 2021 orientation? Judging from the dates from last year, I'm assuming this year's orientation will be 7/25 - 7/29, but if anyone knows anything for sure I would love to know.

Hello future classmates! Does anyone know the dates for the class of 2021 orientation? Judging from the dates from last year, I'm assuming this year's orientation will be 7/25 - 7/29, but if anyone knows anything for sure I would love to know.

Yea, the last week of July. The same week my wife is due to have our baby.

May or may not be there. Lol.

I'm sure we will get an official email in a few months.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations, Nick! Yes, the 2017/2018 schedule shows the dates for orientation to be 7/25 to 7/28 and the white coat ceremony is on 7/29. It lists the first day of classes as being 7/31 OR 8/1. I'm not sure why it says "or".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations, Nick! Yes, the 2017/2018 schedule shows the dates for orientation to be 7/25 to 7/28 and the white coat ceremony is on 7/29. It lists the first day of classes as being 7/31 OR 8/1. I'm not sure why it says "or".

Thanks guys!

Nick, sounds like you will be having a busy week haha. Congrats and I hope things end up working out as smoothly as possible.

Thanks guys!

Nick, sounds like you will be having a busy week haha. Congrats and I hope things end up working out as smoothly as possible.

Thanks, it'll work out. If not, I'll miss a bit of class. I was told they will work with me. Liberty is very family friendly from what I've heard.

Someone had a baby last year around the start of school and they were fine.

Is anyone aware whether II's are still being given out/ongoing? I haven't heard anything, so getting a little anxious...

Does anyone know what kind of laptop LUCOM gives you? Trying to figure out if I should get another computer besides the mandatory laptop.

Does anyone know what kind of laptop LUCOM gives you? Trying to figure out if I should get another computer besides the mandatory laptop.
HP. At my interview, the student advocates said they put everything school-related on the HP then use their personal laptops for personal use. If you don't currently have a personal laptop, then you could prob get away with using the HP for everything.

HP. At my interview, the student advocates said they put everything school-related on the HP then use their personal laptops for personal use. If you don't currently have a personal laptop, then you could prob get away with using the HP for everything.

i use my school issued laptop just for exams and use my mac for everything else. In my experience, windows is prone to random bugs and it gets annoying having your computer crash often when you're watching lectures online.

i use my school issued laptop just for exams and use my mac for everything else. In my experience, windows is prone to random bugs and it gets annoying having your computer crash often when you're watching lectures online.

Whats the model of the HP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed in late January/early Feb heard back? I know they were supposed to call by yesterday the latest. Asking for a friend. Thanks!

I'm still waiting too

I have heard that if you receive a secondary from this school you have a very high chance of being called for an interview. Has this been the case?

I have heard that if you receive a secondary from this school you have a very high chance of being called for an interview. Has this been the case?

It's about a 50/50 chance. They send out 1,000 secondaries and 450 interview invites.

Whats the model of the HP?

We were told that this years' OMS1 will choose the brand for next year's entering students so it could change from year to year. I'm tempted to get a personal computer as well but wondering if that'd be a waste. Perhaps I'll wait until residency as computers become outdated so quickly.

We were told that this years' OMS1 will choose the brand for next year's entering students so it could change from year to year. I'm tempted to get a personal computer as well but wondering if that'd be a waste. Perhaps I'll wait until residency as computers become outdated so quickly.

this is correct, we 2nd years have a completely different model vs the current 1st year students so I cannot say what model the incoming class will have

Has anyone that interviewed late January/early Feb gotten the call? I interviewed early Feb and heavy heard anything. Trying to be patient ....

Has anyone that interviewed late January/early Feb gotten the call? I interviewed early Feb and heavy heard anything. Trying to be patient ....
Just got the call an hour ago... interviewed Feb 9

I'm in!

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call!! Been waiting to say this all of my life, " I got into med school"!!!

Interviewed early Feb, stats 3.8 and 509

Reactions: 6 users
Got the call of acceptance last night! Interviewed Feb. 17th.

Reactions: 4 users
For those accepted, does anyone know if orgo 2 is a hard requirement? I had put biochem as the fulfilment for orgo 2 and still got a secondary / II / accepted. So now I'm just a little worried it will affect my matriculation. Obviously calling / emailing admissions would be best, and I will do that - just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else had a similar situation. Thanks.

For those accepted, does anyone know if orgo 2 is a hard requirement? I had put biochem as the fulfilment for orgo 2 and still got a secondary / II / accepted. So now I'm just a little worried it will affect my matriculation. Obviously calling / emailing admissions would be best, and I will do that - just wanted to check here first to see if anyone else had a similar situation. Thanks.

Do you have Cell Bio? It says cell bio/biochemistry is a requirement along with OC 1 and 2. Like you said, just call admissions and get a straight answer!

I interviewed 03/06 and just call notification this morning I'm on the priority waitlist for acceptance. I was extremely impressed with the school and the faculty during my interview. Would be happy to hear from anyone I interviewed with to see what their status is.

Can anyone shed some light on what LUCOM's "Code of Conduct" means? I am from a very liberal school, and although I don't "party" very much, I do like to enjoy an occasional margarita here and there. I also have a significant other who I have been with for three years, he would be coming here with me if I got accepted. Any thoughts on this?

I interviewed 03/06 and just call notification this morning I'm on the priority waitlist for acceptance. I was extremely impressed with the school and the faculty during my interview. Would be happy to hear from anyone I interviewed with to see what their status is.

I just rescinded my acceptance. Hopefully you get my place :) Good luck! It was a great school but too far for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Post deleted... read something wrong.

Last edited:
Can anyone shed some light on what LUCOM's "Code of Conduct" means? I am from a very liberal school, and although I don't "party" very much, I do like to enjoy an occasional margarita here and there. I also have a significant other who I have been with for three years, he would be coming here with me if I got accepted. Any thoughts on this?
There are a nauseating amount of threads on LUCOM's code of conduct and what it entails. Just use the search function.

I'll give you a TL;DR: Liberty is openly Christian and subscribes to a lifestyle taught in the Bible. They list that lifestyle in their code of conduct, but what you do on your time, off school grounds is entirely up to you.

Reactions: 3 users
@NickMT-RN I don't smoke weed or do drugs. I am not sure where you are getting that from my previous post. I was talking about occasional alcohol use. Margaritas contain tequila. It's an alcoholic beverage.

Last edited:
post deleted... nevermind.
@NickMT-RN I don't smoke weed or do drugs. I am not sure where you are getting that from my previous post. I was talking about occasional alcohol use. Margaritas contain tequila. It's an alcoholic beverage.

... yeah. that's why i need to use my glasses. Margaritas are def not marijuana. I redacted my post. My apologies..

Hey there! From what I understand, as long as you are not an excessive drug user or alcoholic, the administration really doesn't mind what you do outside of school. A faculty member said "As long as you aren't belligerently drunk at a bar with an LUCOM shirt on, you'll be fine." A student ambassador that was touring my group talked about her long-term boyfriend and their living arrangement together freely in front of everyone and seemed comfortable doing it! Honestly, I'm not the least bit worried about it. A fellow interviewee asked about the Code of Conduct point blank and we all had a casual conversation about how LUCOM would like their students to be respectful in public, but they definitely do not investigate you for things like occasional alcohol consumption.

Reactions: 5 users
@UTCPre-med Thank you! This helps a lot! I loved this school, I was just worried about the Code of Conduct because they were very open about it. I completely respect that. It is a professional school and they hold you to high standards. Thank you for clearing that up! Hopefully I will get an acceptance here :)

Reactions: 2 users

I'm wrestling with a similar question. My current laptop is on its last leg so I'm wondering if it's worth dropping 1-2k on a Mac just to have to buy another laptop for LUCOM. Like what I hear about the reliability and longevity of Macs though. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

I'm wrestling with a similar question. My current laptop is on its last leg so I'm wondering if it's worth dropping 1-2k on a Mac just to have to buy another laptop for LUCOM. Like what I hear about the reliability and longevity of Macs though. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Macs are really reliable... I have toyed with idea of buying an Imac (the desktop) and using my LUCOM laptop to bring to school. My brother in law just got one... super nice.

I have a mac from 2007 and that thing still runs like a champ. My PC i built 2 years ago crashes every 5-6 months lol.

I ended up getting a macbook pro through the recommendations of some of my med school friends who are already in school. What I was aiming for was a laptop that would last me through all 4 years of school. IMO it's a good investment because macbooks are known to be sturdy.

I would just get computer LUCOM gives you. It has worked well for me, and the computer is completely covered for the 4 years you are in school. Any issues and they will fix it, or replace if it is bad enough. Save your money and get a new computer after you graduate.

-Mednova

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. Quick question about the drug screening. I don't use drugs ever, but recently smoked hookah for a friends birthday not thinking about the nicotine in it. My urine drug screen is in a few days and I'm wondering if the screen for the nicotine by product as they are a no smoking school. If anyone can shed some light that would be great.

Hey guys. Quick question about the drug screening. I don't use drugs ever, but recently smoked hookah for a friends birthday not thinking about the nicotine in it. My urine drug screen is in a few days and I'm wondering if the screen for the nicotine by product as they are a no smoking school. If anyone can shed some light that would be great.

No. The UDS is a 10 drug screen. Nicotine isn't one they look for. You are good!

Hi, I had a question about 3rd and 4th year rotations. Do they all have to be at a LUCOM core site, even fourth year? (not counting the electives-I assume we can set those up ourselves if we want to go elsewhere)

Current LUCOM 2nd year here.

3rd year rotations are at a LUCOM core site (~50% Lynchburg, the rest scattered among Petersburg, Norfolk, Danville, Martinsville, SW VA, Palestine TX, and Effingham IL.

4th year electives are established according to your interest. LUCOM has partnered with a wide variety of hospitals according to the interest of the current 3rd years and will continue to build partnerships as needed for future classes.

(For a full list, check the clinical rotations page on their website)

Ideally, yes, the code of conduct should be followed. That being said, unlike how it was when I was there for undergrad, there are no RAs checking curfew or making sure you're not out where you shouldn't be doing things you shouldn't be doing.

The COM treats us like adults and, while I presume they know not every student follows the letter of the CoC, every student maintains enough professionalism to, at the very least, not be caught doing something against the CoC, especially not in a breach of professionalism. They don't crack down on the rules, but, for gross misconduct, which we haven't yet had, I don't doubt they would exercise disciplinary action as appropriate

Reactions: 2 users
I would just get computer LUCOM gives you. It has worked well for me, and the computer is completely covered for the 4 years you are in school. Any issues and they will fix it, or replace if it is bad enough. Save your money and get a new computer after you graduate.

-Mednova

I think if you can afford getting a new laptop and it wouldn't hamper your financial situation that much, it may be a good investment. I'm an apple person and my studying has been more effective and efficient using OSX, a system that i am used to, instead of having to deal with windows nuances that i just don't have time to deal with.

Will your portal state if you are on priority or regular wait list?, or do you find out priority or not by email?

What do you all feel about the Flying Spaghetti monster being your mascot?

Will your portal state if you are on priority or regular wait list?, or do you find out priority or not by email?

When I received my admissions notification via email two weeks ago, they specifically indicated that I was on the priority waitlist. In that time, however, I have not seen a specific admission status on the portal. Although, I may not be looking in the right place....