liberty medical school <facepalm>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Patients and future colleagues (ie. other doctors) will judge you based on ........YOU.

True to some residency directors MD > DO but once your done with residency MD = DO by everyone that matters.

That's just the way it is. If this hurts your feelings or upsets you I'm sorry, but the reality is the only people that care or will look negatively at your DO degree is pre-meds.

Unless you plan to practice at an Ivory tower academic hospital when your done with residency no one cares where you went to school, or where you did residency for that matter. They care about you and how competent you are and your board certification. That's it.

Doesn't matter. if you want this MD> DO stuff to persist, best way to perpetuate it is to associate new DO schools with anti science BS.

You must agree, Liberty University's controversial reputation will more likely be a liability than asset to the occupation as a whole.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I don't mind Liberty being creationist. I just hope they don't attract students or faculty who are into other anti-science fads like vaccines-cause-autism, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not thrilled about Liberty opening a new school; but it's got nothing to do with it being Liberty university per-se. I just think it's time to slow down on opening yet another school until we have a residency surplus again.

People need to lay-off on whether or not Liberty will give the DO profession a bad rep. Nobody is going to care, or even remember/know what Liberty U even is. If a DO school meets accreditation standards, it won't be a drag on the profession. If it can't, it won't exist to be a drag on the profession.

Some of you folks need to get back to worrying about the important stuff.

You're pre-med! :smack:
What direct knowledge do you have regarding this?

None whatsoever. Have you ever met a DO ortho guy who had trouble finding employment because of his having completed an AOA residency? Maybe they're out there. I've just never heard of one.

None whatsoever. Have you ever met a DO ortho guy who had trouble finding employment because of his having completed an AOA residency? Maybe they're out there. I've just never heard of one.

It's actually good to know

Liberty com's site says they anticipate permission to recruit students in summer of '13 for anticipated matriculation in fall '14

Liberty com's site says they anticipate permission to recruit students in summer of '13 for anticipated matriculation in fall '14

Well tuition listed is for 14-15. They just say they want provisional accreditation by summer of 13.

As far as I can tell, what Liberty University plans on doing/is doing is legal. What law says you can't get money from tobacco companies to create a for profit DO school? All this talk about a DO school at Liberty University dragging down DO's...Benjamin Carson is a famous MD, and he is a creationist! Does that mean John Hopkins MDs are stupid? There are probably some atheists at Liberty, and probably a lot of theists who aren't creationists. Just because a controversial school says something or makes a new business doesn't mean it is wrong.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, what Liberty University plans on doing/is doing is legal. What law says you can't get money from tobacco companies to create a for profit DO school?

It's not for-profit.

All this talk about a DO school at Liberty University dragging down DO's...Benjamin Carson is a famous MD, and he is a creationist! Does that mean John Hopkins MDs are stupid? There are probably some atheists at Liberty, and probably a lot of theists who aren't creationists. Just because a controversial school says something or makes a new business doesn't mean it is wrong.

Good point.

Members don't see this ad :)
All this talk about a DO school at Liberty University dragging down DO's...Benjamin Carson is a famous MD, and he is a creationist! Does that mean John Hopkins MDs are stupid? There are probably some atheists at Liberty, and probably a lot of theists who aren't creationists. Just because a controversial school says something or makes a new business doesn't mean it is wrong.

Johns Hopkins doesn't endorse creationism as science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

Somehow, I think the medical profession will not be single-handedly destroyed by LU's application. Mountains out of molehills.

As far as I can tell, what Liberty University plans on doing/is doing is legal. What law says you can't get money from tobacco companies to create a for profit DO school? All this talk about a DO school at Liberty University dragging down DO's...Benjamin Carson is a famous MD, and he is a creationist! Does that mean John Hopkins MDs are stupid? There are probably some atheists at Liberty, and probably a lot of theists who aren't creationists. Just because a controversial school says something or makes a new business doesn't mean it is wrong.

I can guarantee you this is a false statement unless some =< 1%

I can guarantee you this is a false statement unless some =< 1%

I never said it was more than 1%. But I bet there are at least 100 atheists at Liberty University who are studying there because of social and familial pressures. They don't know anything else-that is how they were raised, and they are not brave enough to admit they are atheists.

It's not for-profit.

Good point.

That is a horrible point. That's like saying be a use Dr. Oz is a CT surgeon we should have no problem with food medicine. That guy is a real outlier (and a puppet), and is also from another generation- it's not like it's an acceptable stance to take in science.

Somehow, I think the medical profession will not be single-handedly destroyed by LU's application. Mountains out of molehills.

It's also more students added to the pile, how did you feel as a co 2017er having CU, ACOM, and MU added? Did you know matching just got harder for you? And to top it all off, it's the most controversial school in the US...

It's also more students added to the pile, how did you feel as a co 2017er having CU, ACOM, and MU added? Did you know matching just got harder for you? And to top it all off, it's the most controversial school in the US...

Sure, it'll be more competitive to get residencies if med school spots open up faster than residency spots.

But that has nothing to do with any unique aspect of a DO school at Liberty.

Sure, it'll be more competitive to get residencies if med school spots open up faster than residency spots.

But that has nothing to do with any unique aspect of a DO school at Liberty.

also it really won't be more competitive to get any residency except for some of the "more desirable" mid-level FP or community IM programs. It's not like the schools are going to open up and pluck a new source of exceptional, but previously untapped, students from the ground. They are simply going to lower the threshold for who the least qualified student to get into a DO school is (and not that this lowest common studenominator will go to that school, only that it increases the total DO population, thus upgrading more stragglers from caribbean/MSP to DO schools anywhere)

LUCOM application has officially opened. 162 new spots for DO applicants. I expect entering class stats to be around 3.3/23.

lucom application has officially opened. 162 new spots for do applicants. I expect entering class stats to be around 3.3/23.

They have not said that on their website... I predict that their entrance average stats will be 3.4/25.

Last edited:
also it really won't be more competitive to get any residency except for some of the "more desirable" mid-level FP or community IM programs. It's not like the schools are going to open up and pluck a new source of exceptional, but previously untapped, students from the ground. They are simply going to lower the threshold for who the least qualified student to get into a DO school is (and not that this lowest common studenominator will go to that school, only that it increases the total DO population, thus upgrading more stragglers from caribbean/MSP to DO schools anywhere)

I'm not so sure about that. More applicants apply every year, and the average stats going up with them. Newer schools just take students whose stats are historically average for applicants.

LUCOM application has officially opened.

ok-eww-o.gif

I'm not so sure about that. More applicants apply every year, and the average stats going up with them. Newer schools just take students whose stats are historically average for applicants.

Yes but residency is another selection point. Regardless of how the competition varies at the med admissions point, the fixed number of residency seats makes future prospects relative to current averages and not historical averages. 30 years ago "7s" (they gave a single score which was an average of the sections rather than a sum) was enough to get you into many medical schools and "10s" was a sure thing. 21 vs 30. Times change :thumbup:

Yes but residency is another selection point. Regardless of how the competition varies at the med admissions point, the fixed number of residency seats makes future prospects relative to current averages and not historical averages. 30 years ago "7s" (they gave a single score which was an average of the sections rather than a sum) was enough to get you into many medical schools and "10s" was a sure thing. 21 vs 30. Times change :thumbup:

So what are you saying then? That those on the lower end getting into these schools will not increase the competition for residencies?

While your sentence is correct without any context, it is incorrect for the point you are making. If you add 160 new seats to a system that is already highly selective and (presumably) gathering all of the students who are capable in the market... you don't magically make new average-qualified students appear out of the mist. You make 160 students who couldnt make the cut suddenly get into schools. Not all of them go to the newest school. A large number do, but that large number might still only be 30/160. The other ~130 "just made the cuts" are spread across all the other schools taking a student they wouldn't have taken a year ago. And those other schools are taking these "just made the cut students" because 130/160 of the students at a new school would have went to another school if the new school hadn't opened and appealed to them more.

Its a static system. Adding more seats doesn't add more average qualified people to the pool, it lowers the qualification threshold low enough for x-many new students to get in. Now, there is no reason why a just-made-it qualified person cant turn it around and be amazing... but history shows thats quite rare.

So what are you saying then? That those on the lower end getting into these schools will not increase the competition for residencies?

This is correct. You can ask any program director at medium to high level competitive residencies. They will tell you that the number of applicants has increased, but the number of *qualified* applicants has been entirely unchanged for decades despite massive increases in students trained.

The directors will attest that they don't see any change in the numbers of qualified applicants. Some will say that the ceiling for qualification is rising (aka, better on paper people are going for historically 'easier' things), some won't, but either way they will both agree that their "basement" for qualification hasnt changed and the total number between ceiling and basement is nearly identical to the numbers 10 and 20 years ago.

Competitive residencies are self selecting. Adding more students has never added more who would be good enough to get orthopedics. The ones who will get orthopedics would be good enough to get into a medical school when there were 10 osteopathic schools, and having 40 just gives them more choices, but doesn't make (m)any 'new' one(s) make the threshold.

While your sentence is correct without any context, it is incorrect for the point you are making. If you add 160 new seats to a system that is already highly selective and (presumably) gathering all of the students who are capable in the market... you don't magically make new average-qualified students appear out of the mist. You make 160 students who couldnt make the cut suddenly get into schools. Not all of them go to the newest school. A large number do, but that large number might still only be 30/160. The other ~130 "just made the cuts" are spread across all the other schools taking a student they wouldn't have taken a year ago. And those other schools are taking these "just made the cut students" because 130/160 of the students at a new school would have went to another school if the new school hadn't opened and appealed to them more.

Its a static system. Adding more seats doesn't add more average qualified people to the pool, it lowers the qualification threshold low enough for x-many new students to get in. Now, there is no reason why a just-made-it qualified person cant turn it around and be amazing... but history shows thats quite rare.

Why would schools take students who they wouldn't take in previous years just because a new school opened up? Also, how is the new school going to fill the other 130 seats?

Why would schools take students who they wouldn't take in previous years just because a new school opened up? Also, how is the new school going to fill the other 130 seats?

Lets use me as an example!

I was all set to go to PCOM. Awesome, I thought to myself. Philly is cool. Then Touro, very close to my hometown and in a city i prefer to live in, tells me I am accepted. It is a very new school at the time, but I go "whatever. I want it" and I book it to Touro. Now I could have been at a few different DO schools. I applied super late and still got into a bunch of places. But I *chose* to go to this nearly brand new school because it fit with non-academic things I was looking for.

So PCOM loses a student that, I think this is safe to say, they viewed as average or better student to a school where I would be... let say "not in the bottom section".

So two things go on here at once. 1) my story is not unique. It is the story for 2/3 of my class. That they had acceptances to, superficially, much better schools and chose to go to Touro because they wanted to be at this school specifically for x y or z reason.
2) those 90-ish people in my school mean that there are 90 "accepted" spots that were declined at better schools. Those schools will fill their spots by either accepting someone accepted elsewhere, that puts a hole in THAT schools roster... or (as happens eventually at some school) the school takes a flier on someone who would normally be below the acceptance threshold but they take a flier on them to fill an empty spot in their class roster.

1 or 2 people across all of DO education is considered "lucky people." 160+ people all having this done is called "lowering the minimum acceptance threshold". At no point does adding more schools make "well qualified" students sprout from the ground. It just redistributes where the students can go. New schools fill with a mixture of low-quality and high quality people. The low quality are probably just passing the threshold, the high quality are sniped from other schools rosters, and the other schools have to react in ways that will eventually lead to *someone* taking a lower quality student.

Lets use me as an example!

I was all set to go to PCOM. Awesome, I thought to myself. Philly is cool. Then Touro, very close to my hometown and in a city i prefer to live in, tells me I am accepted. It is a very new school at the time, but I go "whatever. I want it" and I book it to Touro. Now I could have been at a few different DO schools. I applied super late and still got into a bunch of places. But I *chose* to go to this nearly brand new school because it fit with non-academic things I was looking for.

So PCOM loses a student that, I think this is safe to say, they viewed as average or better student to a school where I would be... let say "not in the bottom section".

So two things go on here at once. 1) my story is not unique. It is the story for 2/3 of my class. That they had acceptances to, superficially, much better schools and chose to go to Touro because they wanted to be at this school specifically for x y or z reason.
2) those 90-ish people in my school mean that there are 90 "accepted" spots that were declined at better schools. Those schools will fill their spots by either accepting someone accepted elsewhere, that puts a hole in THAT schools roster... or (as happens eventually at some school) the school takes a flier on someone who would normally be below the acceptance threshold but they take a flier on them to fill an empty spot in their class roster.

1 or 2 people across all of DO education is considered "lucky people." 160+ people all having this done is called "lowering the minimum acceptance threshold". At no point does adding more schools make "well qualified" students sprout from the ground. It just redistributes where the students can go. New schools fill with a mixture of low-quality and high quality people. The low quality are probably just passing the threshold, the high quality are sniped from other schools rosters, and the other schools have to react in ways that will eventually lead to *someone* taking a lower quality student.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, I get it. Adding schools in itself does not bring more qualified students into the mix. However, I'm going to disagree that it lowers the admission threshold because more qualified students apply each year, which is independent of number of seats. Otherwise, the average stats of students wouldn't go up. How do your theories explain that?

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, I get it. Adding schools in itself does not bring more qualified students into the mix. However, I'm going to disagree that it lowers the admission threshold because more qualified students apply each year, which is independent of number of seats. Otherwise, the average stats of students wouldn't go up. How do your theories explain that?

Increasing admission stats is a larger phenomenon of easier access to information and easier access to organized test preparation. Unless you believe that each generation is inherantly more intelligent than the last and that we are evolving into some super intelligent meta humans in the near future, the difference is environmental. In that same vein, the difference is also, then, not reflective of a persons ceiling potential. People who are testing better at 21 doesn't mean that they will also test better at their max potential unless you believe that the difference is truly a genetic shift in intelligence.

To really go back to the point. If you don't want to say its lowering the threshold, you don't have to. It absolutely is, but we could have a word choice argument over this forever. Like any good study, the findings don't matter if it doesn't change outcomes. The outcomes, when you go to residencies and PDs is the same. Despite increasing enrollment numbers and increasing average teat scores across the entire student community... there is no change in the resident community qualifications in these competitive fields. Nor is there an increase in qualified applicants to these fields.

To give a very specific example: there are 25-30 qualified applicants for AOA Urology every year. Was the case in 2013 and was the case in 2003 per three different program directors. There have been 14 new schools in that time frame. One went as far as to say that the odds for uroloy have never been better as there has been no change in number of applicants while there has been two new programs opened in the decade. This holds up for all high competitive fields and most mid level fields. It does become a mess at lower competitive areas where the qualification process is less self selecting.

Not by much. Residency is a merit based system (the majority of the time). Therefore if you out perform your competition the result will be as if you didn't have any competition anyway. Lower performing applicants are less likely to start suddenly performing well once in medical school. There will always be some who break the mold, but in the end you are unlikely to feel any change in competition if you are someone who has previously performed better.

Higher numbers doesn't necessarily mean higher competition.

Increasing admission stats is a larger phenomenon of easier access to information and easier access to organized test preparation. Unless you believe that each generation is inherantly more intelligent than the last and that we are evolving into some super intelligent meta humans in the near future, the difference is environmental. In that same vein, the difference is also, then, not reflective of a persons ceiling potential. People who are testing better at 21 doesn't mean that they will also test better at their max potential unless you believe that the difference is truly a genetic shift in intelligence.

I'm not saying people are getting smarter. There are more qualified people applying period. It's probably a number of factors.

To really go back to the point. If you don't want to say its lowering the threshold, you don't have to. It absolutely is, but we could have a word choice argument over this forever. Like any good study, the findings don't matter if it doesn't change outcomes. The outcomes, when you go to residencies and PDs is the same. Despite increasing enrollment numbers and increasing average teat scores across the entire student community... there is no change in the resident community qualifications in these competitive fields. Nor is there an increase in qualified applicants to these fields.

To give a very specific example: there are 25-30 qualified applicants for AOA Urology every year. Was the case in 2013 and was the case in 2003 per three different program directors. There have been 14 new schools in that time frame. One went as far as to say that the odds for uroloy have never been better as there has been no change in number of applicants while there has been two new programs opened in the decade. This holds up for all high competitive fields and most mid level fields. It does become a mess at lower competitive areas where the qualification process is less self selecting.

I looked up some data and the % of unmatched in Ortho for instance, has increased over the years as well as the average board scores for step 1 and 2.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

AACOM does not have as good data, but the scores have also increased, as well as those 1st choicers not matching 1st pick.

http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2009.pdf

http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2011.pdf

But you're right in that new schools are not really going to effect competitive specialties. I may also be interpreting the data wrong as well. Also, did not check Urology data. It seems as though Derm is unchanged though.

Last edited:
Not by much. Residency is a merit based system (the majority of the time). Therefore if you out perform your competition the result will be as if you didn't have any competition anyway. Lower performing applicants are less likely to start suddenly performing well once in medical school. There will always be some who break the mold, but in the end you are unlikely to feel any change in competition if you are someone who has previously performed better.

Higher numbers doesn't necessarily mean higher competition.

Yea, that makes total sense. :thumbup:

I'm not saying people are getting smarter. There are more qualified people applying period. It's probably a number of factors.

I looked up some data and the % of unmatched in Ortho for instance, has increased over the years as well as the average board scores for step 1 and 2.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

AACOM does not have as good data, but the scores have also increased, as well as those 1st choicers not matching 1st pick.

http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2009.pdf

http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2011.pdf

But you're right in that new schools are not really going to effect competitive specialties. I may also be interpreting the data wrong as well. Also, did not check Urology data. It seems as though Derm is unchanged though.

The difficult issue with using only the non match rate for specific fields is that what is rising, and I have admitted this, is the number of totally unqualified applicants who are just taking a flyer and throwing their name out there to a few programs of their dreams is rising. Programs which they never stood a real chance at.

while I wouldn't say this comment is rampant unlike the previous remarks I reference (which were almost unanimously stayed by every program director) a few director said that they are seeing a large increase in applicants who stand no chance and who the program directors just ignore the application of but who do count as actual applicants when you look at the data. add in programs like I am where there is a massive discrepancy between competition at top level: and bottom level program. It is why when analyzing program and the expansion of schools impact on them, you have to actually pull ups program directors and ask them questions like that rather than simply consulting the data. The data definitely has uses, this just isn't one of them.

Increasing admission stats is a larger phenomenon of easier access to information and easier access to organized test preparation. Unless you believe that each generation is inherantly more intelligent than the last and that we are evolving into some super intelligent meta humans in the near future, the difference is environmental.

I'd say it is somewhat difficult to separate the two. As a species whose success is based on its ability to teach the next generation, we are synthesizing information now that previous generations wouldn't have been able to wrap their heads around. Look at your dear old granny and ask her to send a text message using a smart phone. Sure, there are oodles of factors at work in the way each generation approaches a problem, but one that can't really be denied is that our intelligence and knowledge base is at least partially built upon that of the previous generation. Do we simply have more raw computing power than they do? I dunno... Are people raised around modern technology likely to use less of their allotted "computing power" when tackling a modern problem vs someone who wasnt? Sure. Does this have tangible implications to healthcare? Absolutely.

There was another thread around here somewhere that had us talking about what it means to be "smarter". Can we say the newer generations are smarter? It depends on how you define the word.

The difficult issue with using only the non match rate for specific fields is that what is rising, and I have admitted this, is the number of totally unqualified applicants who are just taking a flyer and throwing their name out there to a few programs of their dreams is rising. Programs which they never stood a real chance at.

while I wouldn't say this comment is rampant unlike the previous remarks I reference (which were almost unanimously stayed by every program director) a few director said that they are seeing a large increase in applicants who stand no chance and who the program directors just ignore the application of but who do count as actual applicants when you look at the data. add in programs like I am where there is a massive discrepancy between competition at top level: and bottom level program. It is why when analyzing program and the expansion of schools impact on them, you have to actually pull ups program directors and ask them questions like that rather than simply consulting the data. The data definitely has uses, this just isn't one of them.

I don't think you're giving the data the credit it deserves- especially the AACOM set. It's first specialty choice. I don't see students (and this is coming just from conventional wisdom, still a pre-med) just willy nillying the process and then not matching. Also, in each one of those specialties there are people who matched with 400s- even those with 15-40 spots. I tend to think the people applying to those positions took their audition rotations and research seriously.

I don't think you're giving the data the credit it deserves- especially the AACOM set. It's first specialty choice. I don't see students (and this is coming just from conventional wisdom, still a pre-med) just willy nillying the process and then not matching. Also, in each one of those specialties there are people who matched with 400s- even those with 15-40 spots. I tend to think the people applying to those positions took their audition rotations and research seriously.

Its *exactly* why the AACOM stuff gets less creedence. At least as far as a "take it without analysis" POV goes. They admit there is something called "first specialty choice." If youre going to pick a big time reach field (and its done A LOT. not rare at all) you will make it your first rank as it wont hurt your stuff below it if you rank a random entire field higher. If you cant get into the field at all, your match process functions as if you never ranked them at all. But the AACOM data is actually very good and we were all super happy on here when they released it two years ago.

Its *exactly* why the AACOM stuff gets less creedence. At least as far as a "take it without analysis" POV goes. They admit there is something called "first specialty choice." If youre going to pick a big time reach field (and its done A LOT. not rare at all) you will make it your first rank as it wont hurt your stuff below it if you rank a random entire field higher. If you cant get into the field at all, your match process functions as if you never ranked them at all. But the AACOM data is actually very good and we were all super happy on here when they released it two years ago.

Yes that's what I would think but then looking at the data the contiguous ranks of the most competitive specialties are the highest.

You have entered into an argument with someone who refuses to face reality. There is no winning this one. DocEspana apparently believes that you cant score highly on the boards or get strong LORs unless you also have a high undergraduate GPA and scored well on the MCAT.

if the match rate for DO applicants with say, 220-229 step 1 that are applying to anesthesiology has been dropping, then you can say the match has gotten more competitive.

if the match rate for DO applicants with say, 220-229 step 1 that are applying to anesthesiology has been dropping, then you can say the match has gotten more competitive.

Because "the match" isn't too simplistic at all. Once upon a time there was a time where the most competitive applicants wouldnt have been caught dead in dermatology. Food for thought.

Fair point, although those are exactly the kinds of programs I'm interested in right now. :scared:

This just got closed in the allo forum because it got out of control and completely lost track of the topic. I believe in the DO forum to properly be annoyed at this, but keep the conversation somewhat civil because I really think this needs more discussion.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/sep/16/liberty-university-optimistic-about-12-million-gra-ar-1315603/
http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/298456

Says Liberty is opening itself up an osteopathic school. The problem here, to me, is that COCA denies having any application by them and yet they want to open it up in the next 2 years. Also the fun of the funding coming from the tobacco commission. What do you guys think? Should a radical right wing religious school that denies macroevolution be a candidate for a medical school? Should the tobacco commission be allowed to fund a medical school, seeing as it is in the center of the tobacco district of america? Should COCA really get involved with another controversial medical school, especially given the prevalence of medicals schools (including a DO one) in the area?

Just read the thread.

Bottom line: DO schools are held to lower accreditation standards than MD schools, just as DO students are held to lower acceptance standards relative to MD students. DO schools accept a good chuck of people who probably should not be physicians. Liberty looks to be one of those schools. I do not endorse the new DO schools. They are non-profit in name but functionally for-profit. The AOA and COCA area responsible for this. It is all about the money. Please don't buy the ostepathic nonsense about "treating the whole patient." These schools exist to make money off students who would otherwise, in general, be unqualified for medical school.

Note that I'm a DO student.

Good luck. YMMV

Noticed they changed their "biochem + lab" requirement to "biochem or cellular biology + lab"

Don't forget VCOM is opening another branch campus in Auburn, Alabama opening 2015.

So basically this year there were 3 new schools in Indiana, North Carolina and Alabama and then Liberty in Virginia next year and then VCOM Auburn in 2015....AND most of the DO schools expanded their class sizes last year and this year....

Unless these schools start programs where students sign up and commit to primary care, I don't think opening new schools will solve the primary care problem.

http://iz3.me/InformzDataService/OnlineVersion/Public?mailingInstanceId=2573087&brandid=3535

http://www.auburnvillager.com/news/article_eefa4acc-f9f8-11e2-8098-0019bb30f31a.html