Level III in ECHO an Nuclear worth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phospholipid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to be level 3 ECHO and Nuclear by the end of Cardiology fellowship. I figure I can get it done, but would have to work hard towards it. Does it make you that much more marketable, especially if I plan on going into Interventional?
Otherwise I would just shoot for Level 2 instead. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure you would even be able to get Level III in both modalities based on my understanding of the COCATS 4 requirements. Level III in just echo apparently is feasible but not with other modalities.

Bigger question is, do you want to go into imaging research, academics or lead an imaging department?

What's the realistic utility of being level 3 echo, nuc, etc. if you're doing level 3 in something else like EP, interventional, HF?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you apply for Level III ECHO certification. I know Level II, you apply through NBE, but if I meet the requirement for Level III, where can I apply for a certification?

How do you apply for Level III ECHO certification. I know Level II, you apply through NBE, but if I meet the requirement for Level III, where can I apply for a certification?

Still through NBE

Level 3 in nuc requires an extra year of training
Level III echo can be be obtained within the three years of cards fellowship

Still through NBE

I asked NBE. They are not involved in giving people Level III. you can just apply for certification if you are level II or higher through NBE. Its still unclear who actually 'certifies' level III training.
Anybody out there knows?

I asked NBE. They are not involved in giving people Level III. you can just apply for certification if you are level II or higher through NBE. Its still unclear who actually 'certifies' level III training.
Anybody out there knows?

Exactly my point. I can meet the requirements of level III during fellowship, but I have to start scanning unnecessarily just to meet the number (which is a waste of time imo), and even if I meet the number to be level III, who can certify me?