Letters of Wreckommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nattmelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question.

What schools should I EXCLUDE from my application, given that I have:

-2 science letters
-1 non-science letter
-1 letter from dentist

I couldn't find the list that condenses letter requirements by school on here, so if someone could link me that'd be cool... I'm just seeing what schools I shouldn't apply to given that these are my only letters.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is something wrong with having those letters? I thought it was standard to have 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats my question basically

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile
I would do a bit more research on which schools you DO want to apply to and then go to their websites and read the requirements to see which letters they require. If you find one you really want to apply to and are missing a letter type, now would be a good time to go ask for it.

That being said, Minnesota requires a volunteer/research coordinator letter which you don't have.

Reactions: 1 user
columbia requires three science professors, which you can find on their site

ASDOH requires a community service letter, I believe. But you can send that directly on top of those required letters you mentioned!

Wow, I didn't know Columbia wants 3 science professor3 to write us a LOR
I thought it was one dentist and 2 science professors, but I just checked their website.

It's truly a letter or wreckmondation then
why...
I am out of words now.

Every school is different so track their requirements and get the extra letters asap in an interfolio account so you can have them available if needed.
After I applied in June some schools asked for extra letters and I sent them directly (Minnesota, Indiana, etc).

I only had 3 on AADSAS - a dentist, bio and chem professor.
I've seen people talk about inter folio, but idk how it works... Can you elaborate on what you do in interfolio?

I've seen people talk about inter folio, but idk how it works... Can you elaborate on what you do in interfolio?

Interfolio has a dossier service. When you set up your account on Dossier Service - Academic Portfolio Software
you will let your letter writers know to send their letters there.

Your letter writers will receive an email by Interfolio to confidentially upload their letters to them. You will not be able to see your letters, only that they were uploaded (like AADSAS) The letters are held in Interfolio until you need them. You can then request Interfolio to send them to the schools directly (or Interfolio can send them to AADSAS on June 1st if you want to have them available before AADSAS opens)

P.S. I was about to edit my previous post but deleted it instead. I'm glad you quoted it!

Interfolio has a dossier service. When you set up your account on Dossier Service - Academic Portfolio Software
you will let your letter writers know to send their letters there.

Your letter writers will receive an email by Interfolio to confidentially upload their letters to them. You will not be able to see your letters, only that they were uploaded (like AADSAS) The letters are held in Interfolio until you need them. You can then request Interfolio to send them to the schools directly (or Interfolio can send them to AADSAS on June 1st if you want to have them available before AADSAS opens)

P.S. I was about to edit my previous post but deleted it instead. I'm glad you quoted it!
Thank you very much!! I think I'll be using it, did you like it??

Thank you very much!! I think I'll be using it, did you like it??

Yes I liked it because it gives you control over getting the letters in advance.
I had one professor that insisted on only sending her letter to AADSAS directly so I had to wait until June 1 to get the letter...then she was on vacation for a month and didn't upload it to AADSAS until July! It was stressful to have no control when the cycle opens. Letter writers often do not submit as they promise. Fortunately I had a back up in my Interfolio account but didn't need it because July was still early.

If a school says 1 Bio and 1 Chem... can you just send 2 science letters, or does it have to be 1 Bio, 1 Chem?

What schools require specifically bio or Chem.... I haven't seen that yet?

Depends if the Biochem class is offered in the bio dpt or the chem dpt

It's one biochem class that both majors take- same exact lecture. The only difference is that when you register you can use either the bio cousre code or the chem course code... but it is the same exact class: Same teacher, same time, same lecture... everyone is in the same class, but the course code can differ depending on the student.

It's one biochem class that both majors take- same exact lecture. The only difference is that when you register you can use either the bio cousre code or the chem course code... but it is the same exact class: Same teacher, same time, same lecture... everyone is in the same class, but the course code can differ depending on the student.
I had a similar situation. The class was technically BIO3xx, but when you registered, it was CHEM361. I would contact your professor to get to the bottom of it. My class ended up being in the CHEM dpt

I would say look at schools you want to attend and then go to their websites and look what they require. It wouldn't make sense to apply to a school just because you have the letters that they require. You need to look at each school holistically and make a calculated decision based on your stats, residency, oos/in-state rates, cost, and obviously the academic and letter requirements. Get the online school guide or whatever. Scumbag Steve has a good resource too, Scumbag Steve's Ultimate Guide to the 2017 Application Cycle (and the universe). Take the initiative yourself and do the research to figure out what's the best strategy for you. Use Student doctor for questions if you can't figure something out. Best of luck.