Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ses4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused on how the LORs work with optomcas. I was told by someone that the evaluators aren’t writing an actual letter, but filling out a questionnaire on optomcas. I have also seen people talking about an actual written letter. Could someone please clarify? Also, what would be the best way to go about this given that applications don’t open for a few months. Do I just let them know when it’ll open and get an email address from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Your evaluators will have to write a letter of recommendation and also do a questionnaire on optomcas. You can ask your evaluators to write your letters and hold on to them until the application opens. You will need their emails to put in the application.

When they receive an e-mail that you have chosen them as a possible evaluator, they will have the option to accept or decline. If they accept, they then will answer specific questions about you and fill out a survey-type form. They also will submit a letter of recommendation before submitting the survey and it is all sent over at once together. You will not see the letter, (as long as you opt out of it) which most schools prefer from what I have researched. If you want a copy of the letter I would ask them independent of optomcas for a copy.