Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted841854

Hello,

So for the letters of recommendation, most schools recommend 3 from the following:

Optometrist
Academic professor
Employer

The first two are quite obvious in ways that speaks on your behalf as a student and shows that you have a good understanding of what the profession is like. I know I will have those two letters solid by the time I apply during the fall.

For the third, I do have a few good relationships with employers of the past and current. However, currently I am working in a pharmacy, so I don't think my pharmacist would write an "outstanding" letter on me applying to optometry school. I was also a peer tutor at the tutoring center at my school and plan to work there again in the fall. I could possibly get a good letter from that.

My question is:

Would it be acceptable to, instead of getting a letter written by an employer, perhaps an instructor outside of the academic setting? I have been involved with music my entire life, I have a teacher in mind who has seen me grow and can account for the growth of my character. Would optometry schools view this well? Would I be better off trying to establish a stronger relationship with my employer?

Members don't see this ad.

Every optometry school requires different types/number of recommendation letters. If the school you are applying to requires your third one to be an employer, then I don't think you should get one from a teacher because they're obviously two different things.
I think the pharmacist that you work for should be fine because she can speak on your behalf on your ability to tackle responsibilities in the workplace. Maybe that's what optometry school is looking for. I wouldn't go off and get a teacher because that doesn't have anything to do with an employer.