Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algiatrist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am applying to HPM fellowships this coming fall, but I am several years removed from my initial training. After initially graduating from IM residency, I pursued Pain Management fellowship training and have been working in this arena since.

I'm now 40 y/o, and looking to add a new dimension to my practice. I would like to complete the HPM fellowship year, but in looking around for letters of recommendation all of my prior mentors in IM have either moved on from academia or have even passed away.

I have a decent working relationship with some nationally recognized Nurse Practitioners in the area of Hospice and Palliative Care.

Do you think fellowship directors would find it odd, or even off-putting, if one of my LOR came from a Nurse Practitioner who is a leader in the field, rather than say, my Fellowship Director from my Pain fellowship from 6 years ago who has no ties to HPM whatsoever?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to HPM last cycle while 5-years out of residency (and starting in two weeks!). The feel I got during my interviews is that HPM is a field accustomed to people coming to it from varied backgrounds. I had some not so clinical jobs in the military and received letters from my supervisors who weren't even physicians. I wouldn't worry about who your letters come from as long as they convey who you are. Just my two cents. That said, I did reach back to my residency program to get a letter to check the box to meet the program director's requirement (wasn't sure how firm that requirement was).