Letters of Recommendation: 3, 4, 5, 6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodowithmys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had a question about LOR's that I couldn't find elsewhere on the site. My premed committee states there is a maximum of 3 letters that they will accept, but I've read that some schools will take as many as 6? Is there any way to supplement the 3 I give to the commitee with another 2 or 3 that I do not give to them, but directly to the schools or to amcas? I'm just a little worried that I will not be able to demonstrate myself outside of being a student if I just give one non-academic rec. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will take your committee letter, regardless of how many individual recommenders contributed to it.
The criteria for individual LOR's only goes into effect if you are not using the committee letter.

If you decide to forego the committee letter I would have four or more recommenders willing/ready to write a letter on your behalf.

whattodowithmys said:
Hi everyone,
I had a question about LOR's that I couldn't find elsewhere on the site. My premed committee states there is a maximum of 3 letters that they will accept, but I've read that some schools will take as many as 6? Is there any way to supplement the 3 I give to the commitee with another 2 or 3 that I do not give to them, but directly to the schools or to amcas? I'm just a little worried that I will not be able to demonstrate myself outside of being a student if I just give one non-academic rec. Thanks!!

My premed committee accepts up to seven LORs and then writes a composite letter from them. If I were to have over seven, the committee will put the additional ones in the package with their composite letter and send it to the schools that I'm applying to. If your school doesn't do that, I guess you can always ask the schools you're interested in if they will accept LORs directly from profs in addition to the premed letter.