This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So obviously most schools recommend (or require) a letter of rec from a professor. I'm looking to apply to schools in California, and the three schools here only recommend a letter from a professor (though I do understand that it would be ideal to have a letter from a professor). My problem is, I don't know any of my professors very well! There is one professor that I have planned on asking but I'm not confident that he would agree to write me a strong letter. I do however have two optometrists and an employer who know me well and who are willing to write me a strong letter. My main question is: How detrimental would it be to submit three letters of rec (two optometrist, one employer) and not include one from a professor?

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask your professor anyways! Ask to grab lunch or coffee with him and use that opportunity to tell him about yourself. If not, ask him to write a letter of rec anyways along with giving him your CV. The worse that can happen is his saying "no", right? Good luck :)

What did you do when you applied school? I'm in same boat with you now...:(
I graduated a long time ago, so there is no professor to ask recommendation letter:(