Letter Of recommendation - DO Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc block

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to accumulate six letters of recs: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 MD, and 1 mentor letter. Although not all of them have submitted the letters, they have confirmed that they will be doing so. I have the opportunity to shadow an Osteopathic Physician on Monday for three hours and (hopefully) obtain a letter of rec from him. I know that DO letters are strongly recommended and will enhance my application so I would like to use it. I've been using AACOMAS and it only allows 6 letters and I was wondering if there is anyway I would be able to send the DO letter through interfolio and if 7 letters is too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to accumulate six letters of recs: 3 science, 1 non-science, 1 MD, and 1 mentor letter. Although not all of them have submitted the letters, they have confirmed that they will be doing so. I have the opportunity to shadow an Osteopathic Physician on Monday for three hours and (hopefully) obtain a letter of rec from him. I know that DO letters are strongly recommended and will enhance my application so I would like to use it. I've been using AACOMAS and it only allows 6 letters and I was wondering if there is anyway I would be able to send the DO letter through interfolio and if 7 letters is too much?

I don't know about the AACOMAS letter service but I don't think there's any benefit to 2 physician letters. If you feel like the DO writes you a good recommendation you'd be fine to use that instead of the MD letter.

3 hours with a DO is not a lot. Some schools like to see you get a DO letter of rec from a DO who you have shadowed 20+ hours. If you're planning to use a DO letter instead of MD, then don't include your MD letter in your letter packet. If you do get the DO letter just make sure that it's a good one because a good MD letter is much better than a bad DO letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 hours with a DO is not a lot. Some schools like to see you get a DO letter of rec from a DO who you have shadowed 20+ hours. If you're planning to use a DO letter instead of MD, then don't include your MD letter in your letter packet. If you do get the DO letter just make sure that it's a good one because a good MD letter is much better than a bad DO letter.

It really depends on how you interact with the DO. I shadowed my DO for four hours but we really clicked. He wrote me a glowing lor.