This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I know it's been a while since this thread was active, I looked for a more recent thread for the new cycle but my question is more appropriate for veterans anyways, for those that didn't take the MCAT before applying/matriculating, when do you take it/ study for it?
You can take the MCAT whenever as long as it is before January. I think some students in our class this year took it during the summer before we started school in september or took it very early in the program. If you can take it before September before the school starts I would recommend it because once the semester kicks in you'll find it hard to make time for any outside studying

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am just about to apply to this program due to just getting in the mail they denied me for there medical school but I should look into this program. Few questions I have before summiting my application. Do I need to get official transcripts or can they use the ones that I applied to the medical school with ? Also I didn't have a LOR from a science professor only from my science advisor so I had to reach out to old professors and one agreed but has not written it yet ( I told her I needed it ASAP). My question is should I wait to turn in my application until after I get this letter or do you think I will be okay. Thanks for the help

They should be able to use your transcripts you applied with, just double check with Jamie Murphy. I think you'd be fine to submit the application and hand in the letter once you get it.

Hey guys I got into the Post bacc program and I just have one question. I currently live in Tampa, Fl (born and raised) which is about 45 mins from there campus in Bradenton. My question is if I get accepted into the DO school do you get to pick which school you want or do they automatically choose Erie campus for you. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I got into the Post bacc program and I just have one question. I currently live in Tampa, Fl (born and raised) which is about 45 mins from there campus in Bradenton. My question is if I get accepted into the DO school do you get to pick which school you want or do they automatically choose Erie campus for you. Thanks for the help
On your interview day you can select Bradenton as your #1 pick but it doesn’t always mean you’ll get it. I also think you do a separate interview for the Bradenton campus as well.

Can anyone tell me where the safe places to live are ? I have a baby so i want to make sure i don't choose the wrong location. Some places are so cheap that I feel its to good to be true. Thanks

Does anyone know if enrolling in this program is looked upon favorably by other D.O. or M.D. schools?

Can anyone tell me where the safe places to live are ? I have a baby so i want to make sure i don't choose the wrong location. Some places are so cheap that I feel its to good to be true. Thanks
The cost of living is cheap in general. You want to live near Grandview. Laurel springs is good, so is Highland park (Neal realty)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know what is the duration of winter break in Health sciences post bacc program and when are the interviews of students who meet criteria held around? I'll be traveling abroad during winter break, so just want to have a rough idea. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I just completed the Post Bacc and I highly recommend it to any aspiring medical/dental/pharmacy student! I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the program.

Hey everyone,

I just completed the Post Bacc and I highly recommend it to any aspiring medical/dental/pharmacy student! I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the program.
May I ask what your plans are after the postbacc? Did you apply to schools outside the program? I guess the most pressing question I have is why is it that so many students drop out of the program? I know that the courseload is going to be challenging, as it’s supposed to be, but is it the program that is too challenging or are the wrong students being selected for the program?

Hey everyone,

Thank you. Do they guarantee admission into LECOM with the post-bacc? Does the acceptance letter guarantee admission? Thank you

On your interview day you can select Bradenton as your #1 pick but it doesn’t always mean you’ll get it. I also think you do a separate interview for the Bradenton campus as well.

Hi, I'm a MS2 and former post bacc at Erie campus. People who are from Florida get preference over those who aren't. The only confounding factor is that FL is PBL learning which means that you don't get lecture based learning. You are basically on your own to learn material and if you don't learn well from reading on your own (you get no powerpoints to help you) it might not be a good program for you. That being said, the college gives preference to the post baccs that have higher GPAs since they will probably be able to do well on their own since they have good time management skills. If you are hovering around a 3.0 at the end of the program, I wouldn't count on getting placed in FL unless no one with a higher GPA wants it. Basically: awesome GPA + being a FL native = great chance of getting sent back to FL. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Do they guarantee admission into LECOM with the post-bacc? Does the acceptance letter guarantee admission? Thank you

They do not guarantee admission, they only guarantee an interview. That being said, I've heard that only a handful of people over the past few years didn't get an acceptance after meeting the gpa requirement, usually due to the getting in trouble either with the law or the school.

This past year, those students who had above a 3.4 got conditional letters of acceptance basically stating that if they pass all of their classes and maintain the 3.0 gpa requirement, they were good. Keep in mind that it is now a 3.2 to satisfy the requirements of the program.

Can anyone suggest what to study before the program starts?
My personal recommendation would be to enjoy your summer because once school starts you're gonna be grinding. But if you're still looking for something to study, I'd recommend starting with basic cell bio and biochem as they were the first classes we had last year.
Don't start looking at BRS or any other board review material as that doesn't actually teach you anything, it's simply just to help you review. I've attached our first semester schedule so you'll have a better idea of the topics.

Attachments

• Schedule 2017 Fall - Medical PB.pdf
    275.4 KB · Views: 69
My personal recommendation would be to enjoy your summer because once school starts you're gonna be grinding. But if you're still looking for something to study, I'd recommend starting with basic cell bio and biochem as they were the first classes we had last year.
Don't start looking at BRS or any other board review material as that doesn't actually teach you anything, it's simply just to help you review. I've attached our first semester schedule so you'll have a better idea of the topics.
ty!!!!!!
i got the textbooks ahead of time, do the lectures follow closely with the textbook? Or are the textbooks more of supplemental material?

ty!!!!!!
i got the textbooks ahead of time, do the lectures follow closely with the textbook? Or are the textbooks more of supplemental material?

Tbh I didn't use the textbooks too much for the earlier classes, but I know some others in my class who found the textbook helpful for understanding concepts they didn't understand in lecture. However make note that most classes don't cover the material nearly as in-depth as the textbooks do. I would say start by focusing on the key points at the end of the chapters, and that should cover most of what you'll need.

Anyone coming from down South attended this program? How did you deal with the culture change(scenery, availability of products, food,etc)? Anyone has a family?

Hey everyone,

I'm an incoming Post Bac (male). I'm set on getting a place in the Hammocks, is anyone else interested in getting a 2 BR 2 BATH apartment over there? If so, please shoot me a PM! Looking to move quickly.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

hey im interested lmk

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you to an extent, but it wouldn't deter me from doing the program. I've seen so many different numbers thrown around so you have to really consider how much weight they carry.

so wise! listen to this guy!

Hi, I'm a MS2 and former post bacc at Erie campus. People who are from Florida get preference over those who aren't. The only confounding factor is that FL is PBL learning which means that you don't get lecture based learning. You are basically on your own to learn material and if you don't learn well from reading on your own (you get no powerpoints to help you) it might not be a good program for you. That being said, the college gives preference to the post baccs that have higher GPAs since they will probably be able to do well on their own since they have good time management skills. If you are hovering around a 3.0 at the end of the program, I wouldn't count on getting placed in FL unless no one with a higher GPA wants it. Basically: awesome GPA + being a FL native = great chance of getting sent back to FL. Hope this helps.

Are you talking about the MMS in FL being PBL? I was wondering why their schedule looks so different than Erie...