This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Recieved the mail today and got accepted into the Pharmacy post bacc and was wondering how financial aid works for this program? I do plan to call Monday morning, but if you guys have any info I would appreciate it!

Congrats. Still waiting for a letter

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do this program for pharmacy school, pharmacy school is really easy to get into if you are not picky about where you go.

Recieved the mail today and got accepted into the Pharmacy post bacc and was wondering how financial aid works for this program? I do plan to call Monday morning, but if you guys have any info I would appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions are case based in that they are asked in a clinically relevant scenario as FlossBoss described above. Each exam will have a few questions that seem ridiculously specific, but I thought the exam questions were fair for the most part.

What is the ratio of those clinically relevant case based questions and the more straightforward questions in certain subjects? Are either more prevalent in certain subjects?

I had a 2.9 science GPA and 3.25 cumulative GPA in undergrad. I hadn't taken physiology, histology, pharm, anatomy, and a couple of the other classes before, and I passed. I didn't get into med school the first time I applied, thus the post-bacc. Careful with comparing stats with other people on SDN though. It can turn into a toxic black hole.

Yeah, sad to hear that so many dental students didn't make it... I don't think comparing the matriculation statistics for dental vs medical students means much though. If both students are taking the same courses, then that means LECOM holds their dental students to the same standards as their medical students. I want to assume dentists are just as capable as medical doctors. To expect more leniency for dental students implies otherwise.

I do agree with Floss Boss that some of the courses might be irrelevant for dental students. But again, the standards thing. If medical students can do it, so can dental right? I don't know much about dental requirements, but from what I've read, it sounds like post-bacc is more of a chance to show LECOM that you are ready for their dental program rather than learning things that pertain to dentistry. Most people are taking the post-bacc because their grades/scores weren't good enough to get in the traditional way or because they're changing careers. This program is a pretty good way to show LECOM that you can do it. And nothing wrong with knowing a little more about the human body, might come in handy someday.

About the whole head/pelvis thing in anatomy... Yes, dental students learn head while medical students learn pelvis. Yes, head is definitely harder. But if the rest of post-bacc is irrelevant for dental, I would think then, that the head is the most relevant part of the program. Heck, I'm sure dentists actually know more about the head than the average doctor. Because they need to. The fact that dental students have to do head shouldn't be a point to complain about, but rather a point of necessity and maybe even pride. It's like wanting to be an orthopedic surgeon and complaining that you have to look at more X-rays than a primary care doctor does. You're going to be looking at more heads, might as well get a head start.

I've seen a lot of people work hard and still not get in. So it's not a matter of putting effort in, there must be some other factor(s). I don't know what though. Study hard and study smart? As for not having sufficient undergrad prep, dental/medical schools won't make their classes easier just because someone did an "easier" major or school. Just gotta suck it up and work harder.

As for the lack of support for the dental application, that really sucks. Maybe the one student that did get in is keeping an eye on this thread and can help you? Or perhaps even older post-bacc dental students, sounds like you talked to a couple of them already.

If you don't mind me asking what was your mcat... did the prep help help you in this program? I come with low stats in both gpa and exam

I was wondering if any post bacc students applied for FAFSA? Is it strictly need based and were you guys granted anything?

I was wondering if any post bacc students applied for FAFSA? Is it strictly need based and were you guys granted anything?

Financial aid should be coming in the next couple days.

Hey guys just wondering did it say anywhere that we need to send score reports (MCAT,ACT,SAT) during or after the application. Did you guys send pdfs of scores to Mr.Murphy? Sent App around July 20th, everything was received but admission status still says "under review".

Hey everyone! I'm reviewing my financial aid award letter and had a question. LECOM's website says that tuition is $14,005. That is for the whole year correct? Not just one semester? Just wanted to make sure I am looking at this right

Is everyone buying or renting their books? I'm having a hard time deciding which would be better

I would buy the books. If you get into the DO school, we repeat 1st year anyway.

Is everyone buying or renting their books? I'm having a hard time deciding which would be better

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get accepted recently? And is the program capped at a certain number of seats?

Anyone get accepted recently? And is the program capped at a certain number of seats?

IDK if the program is capped at a certain number. I know they had 160+ seats last year tho. Big size if you ask me. About half of those people ended up making it.

We were told that 3.0 was the magic number. I asked about this and it was made very clear that if you got this, you would succeed in their professional programs.

Those who got a 3.0 and did not get an Acceptance the DO or Dental school had either:
1) A very poor interview, like showing up drunk
2) Got in trouble with the school (dress code, not showing up to class, not following handbook, etc.)
3) got in trouble with the law (I was told someone punched a police officer last year)

In short, if you are in this program, they want you in their DO/DDS/Pharm school, its up to you to prove that you can handle the academic rigor. It was something like 95% of all students who got the 3.0 were offered the acceptance at LECOM. Now, not everyone took the acceptance, so the matriculation was more in the 70%s if I recall correctly.

Keep your head down, don't drink too much, don't get in trouble with administration and local law enforcement, and don't be weird on interview day and you should be good to go. Really, this whole program is a big interview, you must be on top of your game 100%.

Lets make it happen.

We were told if you got a 3.2 you would be considered competitive for acceptance to the DO program. However, I know people who were accepted with 3.0 averages. My suggestion is always aim higher than required. To answer your question if you got a 3.4, didn't fail any classes, and didn't get in any type of trouble while in the program then it would be very unlikely you would be rejected from the DO program.

Class schedules probably won't be out till the end of August.

Hey! Random question. So I understand there are 8 courses to be taken in the fall semester, but you do not take those courses ALL at once right? It's like med school in which they are broken down in a few weeks - like four courses for the first 5 weeks then another for the last five weeks? Did any of that make sense? Does anyone perhaps have a copy of the course schedule? I am seriously considering this program and I want to prepare for it in the best way as possible. Thanks !! :)

We were email a copy of the course schedule about 2 weeks ago. It looks like things are in blocks.

Hey! Random question. So I understand there are 8 courses to be taken in the fall semester, but you do not take those courses ALL at once right? It's like med school in which they are broken down in a few weeks - like four courses for the first 5 weeks then another for the last five weeks? Did any of that make sense? Does anyone perhaps have a copy of the course schedule? I am seriously considering this program and I want to prepare for it in the best way as possible. Thanks !! :)

There are some study guides, especially for cell bio, genetics, immunology, virology, and some professors do tell you some questions and what concepts you should understand. But by far the most important are the Learning objectives.
There are learning objectives (LOs) generally at the beginning of every lecture and that is what is tested on the exams. The professors and faculty will tell you that the exams are based exclusively on the LOs but of course there are exceptions. But if you study the powerpoints, essentially you are 'learning' the LOs.. Never understood really why people create notes from the LOs since you are repeating what you learned from the notes but some people do that to learn more, but I thought it was a waste of time.
I never really focused on the LOs too much except when certain LOs weren't discussed in the slide notes.
I got above a 3.5 average in the entire program and didn't really use the LOs... but of course everyone is different, maybe it would suit you to study the LOs, but maybe not.

Congrats on doing great in the program. Do you minds sharing your undergrad stats? i'm really nervous about how hard this program is going to be!

[deleted]

Last edited:
Anyone besides me getting nervous? :)

For those of you that were accepted- did they send an acceptance email or something like after the decision was made? Or did you just find out through regualar mail?

How exactly does financial aid work? Do we get any aid or is it just loans?

Hello all!

I was reading through this forum and was really enlightened by the information and assistance all the previous attendees have given! I feel much more prepared to tackle this program now. I did have a few questions though.
First: What is our current schedule like? I have no idea where to find this information and am struggling to find out. I heard it was going to be 2pm - 6pm every weekday?
Second: Any ideas on the books we need to purchase for our classes? Relating to the above question, I am unsure what books to purchase as of late. Is there any option to purchase used books?
Third: How much do is the average tuition for the program?
Fourth: On average, how often did you find yourself preparing for material?

Thanks again!

Anyone need a roommate for Laurel Springs?

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the postbacc class that will apply and start in the fall of 2018, I dont think there is a guaranteed acceptance anymore. I cannot find it anywhere on the website

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the postbacc class that will apply and start in the fall of 2018, I dont think there is a guaranteed acceptance anymore. I cannot find it anywhere on the website

If you maintain a 3.0 you are guaranteed an interview, not an acceptance

There was never guaranteed acceptance to begin with, only a guaranteed interview (however students were saying that if you did go to the interview and didn't totally bomb it you would get in).

Hello all!

I was reading through this forum and was really enlightened by the information and assistance all the previous attendees have given! I feel much more prepared to tackle this program now. I did have a few questions though.
First: What is our current schedule like? I have no idea where to find this information and am struggling to find out. I heard it was going to be 2pm - 6pm every weekday?
Second: Any ideas on the books we need to purchase for our classes? Relating to the above question, I am unsure what books to purchase as of late. Is there any option to purchase used books?
Third: How much do is the average tuition for the program?
Fourth: On average, how often did you find yourself preparing for material?

Thanks again!

1) We were usually out by 5 pm every weekday. We had about a month off for winter break and the spring semester ended in mid april.
2) I would hold off on buying the textbooks for postbacc unless you really need them and just focus on supplemental guides like BRS. For our med school class at least, a required hefty book fee was included in our tuition which gave you access to all your textbooks online.
3) Not much. One of the main reasons I chose LECOM was cause of the price versus other SMP/Post-bacc programs.
4) My best advice for any LECOM post-baccs is to not fall behind in your coursework. I never read in advance for class but I did study and review several hours every day.

I'm a MS3 now so this info may be bit outdated but i doubt its changed a whole lot. Theres a light at the end of the tunnel. Work hard, don't fall behind and you'll succeed!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has already applied and heard anything back for this upcoming class? I applied when the application first open and have been under review for two weeks now.
Thanks!!

Also under review.

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has already applied and heard anything back for this upcoming class? I applied when the application first open and have been under review for two weeks now.
Thanks!!

Looks like they increased the GPA requirement of the program.

Straight from my acceptance letter:
"All Post Bac students who pass all classes in the fall term of the program are eligible to be interviewed for the LECOM Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine early in the second semester of the Postbac Program. Postbac students who finish the program with a 3.2 grade point average or higher in the Postbac Program and complete a successful interview, are eligible for acceptance to the DO Program".

"All Post Bac students who pass all classes in the fall term of the program are eligible to be interviewed for the LECOM Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine early in the second semester of the Postbac Program. Postbac students who finish the program with a 3.2 grade point average or higher in the Postbac Program and complete a successful interview, are eligible for acceptance to the DO Program".
Yes I noticed it too. I guess to many people got accepted this year or something

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Well that shouldn't stop you guys Right?? If you want it bad enough... even if they increased it to a 3.4 or 3.6 you all should get in!

Reactions: 1 users
Ha! First thing I noticed as well. I guess we will just have to step it up!

I applied during the first week of September and have been under review since december. Has anyone received acceptance/rejection letter yet for 2018-2019 cycle. I am starting to freak out as I saw posts from last year and people started getting letter the second week of January and we are almost at February.

I applied during the first week of September and have been under review since december. Has anyone received acceptance/rejection letter yet for 2018-2019 cycle. I am starting to freak out as I saw posts from last year and people started getting letter the second week of January and we are almost at February.

I did as well. I received an email from Mr. Murphy saying my letter was returned to LECOM, and a new letter is being sent this week.

I did as well. I received an email from Mr. Murphy saying my letter was returned to LECOM, and a new letter is being sent this week.
Does your status say under review or A decision has been made?

Hey guys, I am just about to apply to this program due to just getting in the mail they denied me for there medical school but I should look into this program. Few questions I have before summiting my application. Do I need to get official transcripts or can they use the ones that I applied to the medical school with ? Also I didn't have a LOR from a science professor only from my science advisor so I had to reach out to old professors and one agreed but has not written it yet ( I told her I needed it ASAP). My question is should I wait to turn in my application until after I get this letter or do you think I will be okay. Thanks for the help

If anyone has questions about the program (whether you are already accepted or still applying) let me know. I was in your shoes this time last year, and in 2 more months and I'll be an OMS I at LECOM, so I might be able to answer some of your questions.

Hi I know it's been a while since this thread was active, I looked for a more recent thread for the new cycle but my question is more appropriate for veterans anyways, for those that didn't take the MCAT before applying/matriculating, when do you take it/ study for it?