LECOM Postbacc 2017-2018 Cycle

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by AaronBsox, Dec 27, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. CM634

CM634

Jul 4, 2017
    Med school is harder

I think this program is better than the Caribbeans too

I'll get to that in a bit

drkobebryant likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CM634

CM634

Jul 4, 2017
    I agree with Dan. I felt like a lot of the questions were PowerPoint bullets but in question format and with a medical twist. They won't be so straightforward as something like "What is ___?" though. Questions like the example Floss Boss mentioned definitely do show up, but they're among the tougher questions we got. There are some hard ones out there, especially in Pharmacology and Anatomy, but if you really know your stuff you should be ok. Remember, your patients won't be multiple choice.

I hope as you're reading through this thread, you're seeing a common trend in these posts about studying. There isn't just one way for you to learn and succeed in this program. Some people Anki'd their way to success. Others swear by BRS. Hopefully you'll learn what works for you quickly, but don't be afraid to be flexible.

The only times I used information from outside the PowerPoints was Dr. Lee's sections for physiology (like 80% of his slides are literally just figures taken from the textbook with no text), Pathology when Dr. Stevens explicitly told us to read certain sections because they're not in her PowerPoints, Intro to Med which was 100% book based, Histology for some extra pictures and cross-referencing, and Anatomy when I used Netter's Atlas and the Gray's Review Book. All the books for every class can be found in the library. The latest editions are reference only and can't be checked out, but someone you know probably has the PDF version, you just need to ask around. nasuthar's breakdown of the classes is also pretty spot-on.

Scholar32, drkobebryant and nasuthar like this.
  4. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
  5. Scholar32

Scholar32 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2015
    Thanks for your response! I am a pre-dent. considering this program and have taken most of the post-bac courses at the undergrad level (except immuno, pharm, and histology) with around a 3.1-3.2 avg. gpa for those upper level courses. I have heard a lot of negatives about pre-dental in this program (not sure if its because of their lack of undergrad prep or not working hard enough), but would like to know where I stand in terms of prior prep. and grades compared to pre-med students in the program

6. CM634

CM634

Jul 4, 2017
    I had a 2.9 science GPA and 3.25 cumulative GPA in undergrad. I hadn't taken physiology, histology, pharm, anatomy, and a couple of the other classes before, and I passed. I didn't get into med school the first time I applied, thus the post-bacc. Careful with comparing stats with other people on SDN though. It can turn into a toxic black hole.

Yeah, sad to hear that so many dental students didn't make it... I don't think comparing the matriculation statistics for dental vs medical students means much though. If both students are taking the same courses, then that means LECOM holds their dental students to the same standards as their medical students. I want to assume dentists are just as capable as medical doctors. To expect more leniency for dental students implies otherwise.

I do agree with Floss Boss that some of the courses might be irrelevant for dental students. But again, the standards thing. If medical students can do it, so can dental right? I don't know much about dental requirements, but from what I've read, it sounds like post-bacc is more of a chance to show LECOM that you are ready for their dental program rather than learning things that pertain to dentistry. Most people are taking the post-bacc because their grades/scores weren't good enough to get in the traditional way or because they're changing careers. This program is a pretty good way to show LECOM that you can do it. And nothing wrong with knowing a little more about the human body, might come in handy someday.

About the whole head/pelvis thing in anatomy... Yes, dental students learn head while medical students learn pelvis. Yes, head is definitely harder. But if the rest of post-bacc is irrelevant for dental, I would think then, that the head is the most relevant part of the program. Heck, I'm sure dentists actually know more about the head than the average doctor. Because they need to. The fact that dental students have to do head shouldn't be a point to complain about, but rather a point of necessity and maybe even pride. It's like wanting to be an orthopedic surgeon and complaining that you have to look at more X-rays than a primary care doctor does. You're going to be looking at more heads, might as well get a head start.

I've seen a lot of people work hard and still not get in. So it's not a matter of putting effort in, there must be some other factor(s). I don't know what though. Study hard and study smart? As for not having sufficient undergrad prep, dental/medical schools won't make their classes easier just because someone did an "easier" major or school. Just gotta suck it up and work harder.

As for the lack of support for the dental application, that really sucks. Maybe the one student that did get in is keeping an eye on this thread and can help you? Or perhaps even older post-bacc dental students, sounds like you talked to a couple of them already.

7. GypsyHummus

GypsyHummus 5+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2011
    What was your daily schedule like?

How long each day did you study for?

Why do you think so many people dropped and or failed out? Im really nervous about the program, how hard would you say is it compared to biochemistry and organic chemistry courses in college?

8. CM634

CM634

Jul 4, 2017
    Not much time for anything besides school. Woke up, studied, went to class, studied some more, slept. Fit in breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I tried to get 7-8 hours of sleep every day. Classes don't begin until 2 PM most days. I actually like their no food, no drink policy. If you study on campus, it forces you to get up and walk to the cafeteria and take breaks if you want to eat or grab a coffee. Try to put in some "me" time in your daily schedule as well, like whatever your hobby might be or exercising or something. Time management and efficiency is important.

Not including class time, I studied for probably 9 hours a day on weekdays. Class is scheduled for 2-6 PM, but you get out by 5 most of the time. Weekends were pretty much studying all day, but there's time to fit in errands like grocery shopping or whatever else.

I don't think the classes are much more difficult than undergrad, it's just way more. One day's worth of material in the post-bacc was probably like a week at my undergrad. You adapt though, and some material is definitely easier than others so you can allot your time for each lecture accordingly. The material is also more broad. For example, in biochem, you will go over things like enzyme kinetics and protein structure. But you'll also go over diseases caused by defects in cycles and normal body processes, but from a biochem perspective. The medical context makes it more interesting and practical. It's closer to physiology sometimes, but that's not necessarily bad. You'll see the same things multiple times and it gets easier to remember each time. You'll spend less time on it, leaving more for the newer/harder stuff.

I don't know why some people didn't make it. Hopefully someone is tracking this thread as well and can tell you what they'd change/give advice. But think about yourself as well. Like I said, most people do the post-bacc because their academics weren't good enough. What would you change if you could redo undergrad? Or if you had more time to retake the MCAT/DAT? Identify your own weaknesses and strengths and do something with it.

drkobebryant and Scholar32 like this.
  9. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Is there tutoring or supplemental instruction available? what is it like?

10. CM634

CM634

Jul 4, 2017
    If you're doing poorly, you can request a tutor. It will be a volunteer first or second year, so space may be limited. Otherwise, you'll just have to find a super friendly med student on your own. During second semester, the med students will probably do (optional) review sessions for anatomy. They go over things they found high yield (which is like everything) and take you into the cadaver lab. Beyond that, I don't recall there being much other supplemental help.

11. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    I did use the tutors, and my experience was awesome! I will add that if you are having trouble with anything schedule a meeting to talk to the professor! They are great and always willing to help from my experience and give great studying tips...they want to see you succeed which is really encouraging. There are also excel sessions that are optional and useful in teaching test taking strategies regarding the material that is being covered in the class.

Drewbie16 likes this.
  12. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Do you have to be doing poorly in order to receive a tutor?

13. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    Depends on a situation, if you feel like you need one and feel like you are struggling you would talk to Maricely and she would refer you to tutoring services. I wasn't doing terrible,I was far from failing but felt like I needed someone else to explaining some concepts differently and I was set up with an awesome tutor! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Are the tutoring services free?

15. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    No it is free

16. license43

license43

Jan 12, 2016
    nope... had a 3.6 + gpa fall semester. Requested and was still given a tutor in the Spring.. lol. Not that I needed it, but sure it helped here and there.

17. oliverqueen

oliverqueen

Aug 25, 2015
    Any accepted students plan on retaking their MCAT if they're below 40th percentile?

18. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Nope.

They told me my AIS was fine as is.

oliverqueen likes this.
  19. Kou_KeiKi

Kou_KeiKi

Mar 10, 2017
    Pre-dent here. 2 quick questions:
    1. Under the admission requirements, for dental track, there is this "Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or higher on a four-point scale with no course lower than a “C”;" requirement. Does that mean if I have a D or an F (all passed after retaken), I am automatically disqualified?

2. Does the letter of rec have to be specifically addressed to the program or we can use the rec letters for dental/med schools?

Thanks!

20. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    There's are no D grades. Anything under 70 is considered F. You cannot matriculate with an F grade and you cannot retake the class. You can have all As and an F in a 1 unit class and you will not be able to matriculate. That's why they say don't just write off the 1 unit classes because you're not allowed to fail any class in the program.

I think a letter specific for the program is better but general letters are fine

21. Kou_KeiKi

Kou_KeiKi

Mar 10, 2017
    Nono the rule didn't refer to the grades you earn in the program, it referred to the admission to the post-bacc requirements. Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

nasuthar likes this.
  22. E92CR7

E92CR7

Apr 22, 2017
  23. license43

license43

Jan 12, 2016
    1. Pretty sure you can retake it to get a C or higher for it to count. Just check with Jamie Murphy, but pretty sure you aren't disqualified. Their pretty lenient regarding grades.
    2. Again, check with Jamie Murphy, but I'm pretty sure you could use any generic letter for med/dental school, but it would be best to have a separate letter that is addressed and geared for The Dental Post Bacc Program at LECOM.

24. jas_szn

jas_szn 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Hey everyone. I just started looking into this program and saw:

"Those students who complete the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, pass all Post Bac classes, and achieve the required minimum on standardized exams will be guaranteed an interview at LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine."

Does this mean that even if you got say a 3.4 in the postbacc you could possibly not matriculate into the DO program? Do you have to fill out an aacomas app before/after the interview invite?

Thanks!

25. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    Hey, where is out schedule of classes for the post bac in our LECOM portal?

26. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    Yes, if you don't have the MCAT score or AIS score, misbehave, or if you do very poorly in the interview it will overshadow the 3.4 and jeopardize your acceptance.

You will fill out the aacomas app during the fall semester, so before the interview invitation.

nasuthar likes this.
  27. midawa

midawa

Dec 26, 2015
    We were told if you got a 3.2 you would be considered competitive for acceptance to the DO program. However, I know people who were accepted with 3.0 averages. My suggestion is always aim higher than required. To answer your question if you got a 3.4, didn't fail any classes, and didn't get in any type of trouble while in the program then it would be very unlikely you would be rejected from the DO program.

Class schedules probably won't be out till the end of August.

28. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    If it has been released it....when you log in on the portal the left hand side should have a section called schedules and will be found there. Might be a bit earlier though.

29. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    I'd recommend filling out the aacomas app right now if you're already accepted into the program since you may not have enough time during the semester to fill it out or write the personal statement.

30. jas_szn

jas_szn 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
  31. vle

vle

Jun 21, 2016
    Woodbridge, VA
    Anybody heard anything back from LECOM lately? My status just changed to under review :nod:

32. jas_szn

jas_szn 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Some more questions about the program:

About how many words should the essay response be?
    Is it okay to apply to other med schools now before the post bacc starts or is that frowned upon by admissions?
    Do they offer a committee letter if we decide for some reason to apply to other schools next year?

Thank you!

33. Scholar32

Scholar32 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2015
    Are course content and exams at a med school level or less? I know its harder than undergrad, but trying to get a feel for the how these science courses compare

34. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    Yes the content and exams are med school level, but your lecture days are 4hrs vs med school's 8hr/day so you will have less content to know for each exam. The material isn't anymore difficult than what you are used to from undergrad, but it is the amount of information presented to you that creates the difficulty in the program. Imagine 20 units of 100% science classes in undergrad and then imagine if all of those classes had exams on the same day. Its like that. Its definitely doable, but requires your full focus during the 8mo the program lasts.

Scholar32 likes this.
  35. bjenkins

bjenkins 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2014
    Congrats to everyone accepted so far and can't wait to meet you all in September. From what I can tell, as long as we study like our life depends on it (which it kind of does) we should all survive:)

Curly54 likes this.
  36. Springmed1

Springmed1 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2012
    CA
    Someone please clarify me something... I am not sure. How does the post bacc linkage works ..? For example let's say I start the Lecom post bacc fall 2017 and finish May 2018. Do I get accepted to Lecom DO for the fall 2018 or fall 2019..?!! If the following year then it means I have to wait a year...?

37. Schultra

Schultra

May 2, 2017
    You will be in the DO class start that begins in 2018 (if you finish in May 2018 and met all of the requirement)

38. Springmed1

Springmed1 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2012
    CA

39. bjenkins

bjenkins 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2014
    Can anybody from past Post-Bacc classes give any insight on the first physiology exam?

40. midawa

midawa

Dec 26, 2015

For us it was over fluids and electrophysiology mainly. It's not super long, from what I remember it was right around 40 questions. You will hear from most people that it is the exam that everyone does the worst on because they don't know what to expect yet, but it was actually my best physiology score. Don't let anyone psych you out by saying everyone does terrible on it.

nasuthar likes this.
  41. ShyCaptain

ShyCaptain

Feb 2, 2016
    Has anyone heard back from LECOM? How long does it take for them to make a decision?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

42. bjenkins

bjenkins 2+ Year Member

May 6, 2014
    Thanks! I got my book early just to look over some of the concepts since I have never taken a physiology class before and just needed a place to start.

43. crcrown

crcrown

Jul 16, 2017
    How does the post bacc program compare to the Master of Medical Sciences program?

44. tea20

tea20 5+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Is it possible to get accepted at Lecom post bacc with a gpa of lower than 2.7
    combined with a good mcat score ?!
    Anyone got accepted with a lower gpa?

45. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    What would an example question look like? You don't have to put it word for word, but generally, what would a test question look like?

Is it like the MCAT, where they make you read a whole block of text to answer a confusing multiple choice test? Or is it more "What would cause the muscle to contract if there was a lack of Na+" kind of question.

46. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    There's no passage based questions like that on the MCAT. Questions first semester are generally simple like the one you wrote but will almost always be clinically relevant. So your question would look more like "25yr old female presents with tense muscles and upon doing lab work she is found to have hyponatremia. Which of the follow would be the reason why her muscles are contracted? ABCDEF"

To get a better idea of the questions asked, refer to the BRS physiology book questions as a lot of students have found those questions to be similar to what's found on test day.

47. iamcharlesdarwin

iamcharlesdarwin

Jul 6, 2017
    We have to applythrough AACOMAS again?!

48. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    yes. They will instruct you on the process midway through the semester. I would have my personal statement ready to go before the program starts so you don't have to worry about writing it when you should be focusing on the post bacc.

49. GypsyHummus

Jun 12, 2011
    When I called Jamie, I thought he said we could use our application that we used for the post bacc tho?!

50. nasuthar

nasuthar

Jul 31, 2015
    You can use a previous AACOMAS app that was sent to LECOM, but not the post bXx app

51. jas_szn

jas_szn 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2015
    How did you guys send your letters of rec? I did it through interfolio a week ago but the portals not updated