LECOM - Bradenton Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above for INTERVIEW DATES ONLY!. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own. If you are looking for the general discussion thread, please check here to find the appropriate thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite.

Interview tomorrow. Very excited. Spent all day today in Bradenton. Went to the beach, got some sun, went in the WARM water (in october...this is great)...lots of sand in lots of places...shower...

If anyone else is interviewing tomorrow and bored let me know, we should all meet up for dinner/drinks or something...

I'll bite.

Interview tomorrow. Very excited. Spent all day today in Bradenton. Went to the beach, got some sun, went in the WARM water (in october...this is great)...lots of sand in lots of places...shower...

If anyone else is interviewing tomorrow and bored let me know, we should all meet up for dinner/drinks or something...

Good luck with your interview tomorrow! :luck: I had mine last week - it was pretty laid back and easy. A side note: my interviewers asked a lot of the questions posted on the SDN interview feedback. Enjoy the PBL session also. :thumbup: ---> that was really neat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing tomorrow as well. :oops: I'd go out for drinks with you, but I'm not old enough. :(

...we should all meet up for dinner/drinks or something...

If I didn't have an exam on Tuesday... I'd go out with you :laugh:. There's a mexican place nearby that has good drinks. They're a little expensive... but they have this one margarita that is pretty much all liquor. I think they wave a lime over the top of it once or twice to give it flavor.

Good Luck :luck::luck::luck:

Wow, now that I've had a job and a little money for a while, I had forgotten the days where I judge the quality of a drink by how much liquor it has in it. I guess I have that to look forward to when I get to med school.

There's another way to judge the quality of a drink? I don't understand!!!!

Hey everyone. I Interviewed at LeCOM-FL exactly one week ago from today (9/24).

The day is completely stress free, assuming you bring no stress into it ;) They try to make you feel as comfortable as possible and stress that this is not an interrogation. The PBL session was way cool and is an absolute must to sit through because there is no other way to know if PBL is for you or not.

I got the feeling that the whole purpose of the interview was too make sure that you were right for PBL and would be able to add something to the learning process. You definitely get the feeling like they're trying to sell PBL. (which they totally did for me) Don't be nervous, and answer truthfully and not from a script. They want people that are able to communicate clearly and are thoughtful. Pause to gather your thoughts before you answer if you need to.

Note: My file is getting reviewed by the adcom tomorrow and I should know by next monday (10/8) at the latest as to whether I get in. So maybe you should wait until then to listen to my advice. :scared:

PS -- It's a closed file interview. They interviewers know NOTHING about you before you go in.

Good luck everyone who's interviewing here! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask for my email address if you don't want to ask on here. All us 1st years have tests this Tuesday and Wednesday so if you're on tour and see some stressed out students that's why!

Having ya'll sit through a PBL session is new for this year. When I interviewed last year it was just a presentation about it, but after a lot of feedback I think it was determined that to really get at least a glimpse of what PBL is you should sit in on a session.

Also, are they all closed file interviews now? I swore mine was open file, but they pretty much just stuck to their pre-made list of questions to ask each student.

Hey everyone. I just interviewed yesterday. we are also getting reviewed today & our interviews were closed file very laid back. Good luck everyone waiting to hear!:luck:

Good luck everyone who's interviewing here! If you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask for my email address if you don't want to ask on here. All us 1st years have tests this Tuesday and Wednesday so if you're on tour and see some stressed out students that's why!

Having ya'll sit through a PBL session is new for this year. When I interviewed last year it was just a presentation about it, but after a lot of feedback I think it was determined that to really get at least a glimpse of what PBL is you should sit in on a session.

Also, are they all closed file interviews now? I swore mine was open file, but they pretty much just stuck to their pre-made list of questions to ask each student.

Hey everyone!

I emailed Heather today, and she said the Dean is coming back into town tomorrow (Friday), and once he reviews the acceptances, they will be mailed out. So she says to look in your mail on Monday or Tuesday!! I'm sooo anxious.. they had me at PBL :love:

ooh I'm anxious now, what a long weekend it will be!! yeah for PBL!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there on the 24th of this month. Looking forward to it.

RE: shirt removal...

I can only imagine that not removing your shirt can hinder your classmates' ability to learn OMM. They aren't asking you to do it because they're a bunch of perverts who want to see you with your shirt off. I would hope that everyone would be as professional as possible with it.

One thing that might not be a bad idea is, at least for some sections of OMM, segregate males from females. But at the same time, everyone is going to need practice on people of both genders, and different body types. So this would certainly not be a realistic expectation for every class.

I really wish there was an easier answer to this question. I know its tough, but I can't imagine that there will be any DO school who won't require you to be shirtless in OMM lab. I can't imagine anyone trying to learn palpation without it.

Wasn't there just another thread that was dealing with the "shirt issue"?

It really hasn't been an issue here so far. We have all kinds of different body types and I haven't seen any evidence or heard anything of people complaining or being comfortable with it. In reality there is so much other material being thrown at you that the OMM class is a nice/welcome break from everything else and it feels nice to go into lab and practice some soft tissue stretching techniques on your neck or back.

Plus you do need to get practice palpating different body styles and genders. So while it's usually the case that guys pair with guys and girls pair with girls for the initial learning of the technique, we'll switch around during lab to practice on someone else.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but can anyone recommend a hotel near the campus? :)

Thanks!

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but can anyone recommend a hotel near the campus? :)

Thanks!

I think it was the comfort inn or suites. Its on the discount hotel sheet, its about 10 minutes from the school and was decent.

I think it was the comfort inn or suites. Its on the discount hotel sheet, its about 10 minutes from the school and was decent.

Thanks! I didn't receive a discount hotel sheet. Is parking a problem at the school??

Thanks again

Thanks! I didn't receive a discount hotel sheet. Is parking a problem at the school??

Thanks again

Not at all. It's a single building with our own parking lot. I'm used to a big state university campus so I'm ecstatic that I don't have to spend 20 minutes looking for a spot and then walk 10-15min to my class.

Everyone seems very nice. The students really like it there. They seemed very happy.

I think most med schools, particularly the ones who are not affiliated with a huge medical center, are going to be like that. I mean, how much room do you really need? The whole school is only going to have anywhere from about 300-1000 students, and only half of that number is going to be spending a lot of time on campus, with the other half doing their rotations. So you need a couple classrooms, anatomy lab, computer lab, library, a few other things, and an OMM lab for DO schools.

I think most med schools, particularly the ones who are not affiliated with a huge medical center, are going to be like that. I mean, how much room do you really need? The whole school is only going to have anywhere from about 300-1000 students, and only half of that number is going to be spending a lot of time on campus, with the other half doing their rotations. So you need a couple classrooms, anatomy lab, computer lab, library, a few other things, and an OMM lab for DO schools.

Exactly, it's interesting to some negative comments made regarding the fact that's it's just "one single building" with nothing around it. I guess if you're used to the huge college campus feel and atmosphere then it can take some getting used to, but I don't think it impacts your education at all. I mean, in med we're all going to learning the same stuff anyway, the only difference is I may not have 3 on campus libraries to study in.

We don't have a medical center next door but we still are associated with local hospitals and have a ton of options come third and fourth year, I'll be able to do some rotations at smaller community hospitals where I'll get lots of physician and patient interaction as well as the ability to do rotations at some of the larger academic hospitals just north of us in Tampa/St. Pete, so I really don't feel like my options are limited at all.

Even during your first two years you'll be set up with a local physician as a preceptor for clinical exposure early on. Also, next summer after my 1st year I'll probably also be taking advantage of a 2 week rotation at a good size hospital up in St. Pete. So I've been pretty impressed with the opportunities I'll be able get and I know that they're constantly working on setting up more and more relationships with local doctors and hospitals.

Im really hoping that when the mail comes on Monday I will have a big fat acceptance letter waiting for me! I love PBL and I can't believe how much I liked Bradenton compared to Erie:thumbup:

Just realized Monday is a holiday! So I won't hear till mid week :(

So these guys move pretty quickly?

Let's say I interview on the 24th and I get an acceptance letter a week later... How long do I have to put down the deposit? I would like to have time to interview a few other places before I have to make a decision.

So these guys move pretty quickly?

Let's say I interview on the 24th and I get an acceptance letter a week later... How long do I have to put down the deposit? I would like to have time to interview a few other places before I have to make a decision.

the first deposit is due December 14th, I believe its $1500!!

I interviewed on a Wednesday and got my letter in the mail on the next Monday. I was ecstatic! It's a really great feeling. I hope you get one! :luck::luck::luck:

Thank you, and hopefully one day my scribe skills will be as good as yours!!:D

Hi Guys,
I interviewed last week and things seemed to go well. I liked the school and sitting in on PBL class was neat. They stated that the committee meets every Tuesday and letters go out on Fridays. Very efficient!

Happy Trails

I interviewed there last week and was very very impressed. I live in a part of the country where there are no DO doctors. I did not even know anything about osteopathic medicine prior to coming to the school. I read stuff on the web page and net, but I did not know what it was all about until I got there. Hether called me for an interview and of course I said yes. However a few days before my interview I got an accept letter for another school and was going to cancel my trip to florida. But my pre-med advisor said that I should go for the interview because she knows the recruiter at the school and she said that he really talks up a storm about the quality of the school and how well the students do on the national comix test. I had the air ticket paid for so I thought I would go for a quick vacation to florida. The day started off with two speakers, Dr. B who talked about the school followed by Dr. Kugar. After listening to them I was really excited about the school. They both made me feel relaxed about the day, yet excited because the students did very well on national exams, tuition is 5th lowest in the US, and they said that they had a "give a dam attitude" about students being successful, which I really believe they do. Surprisingly, I was not that excited at my other two interviews as I was today. They both came back later to chat and I had the chance to ask them some questions. Dr. B. told all of us to email him if we had any problems or questions, which was great. This is now my first choice. If I don't get accpeted, I know I can fall back on the other school where I did get accepted. When I got back to school I thanked my premed advisor for telling me to keep the interview.

When going for an interview, make sure that you sit in the PBL course. I was with second year med students and I thought I was listening to a bunch of doctors talking about a patient. This summer I shadowed an internist and was with some medicine residents and the discussions were very similar as in the PBL Course. Also drive around the area and go Beef OBradys. The wings are great.

Could someone please inform me of what time the interview starts and where I am supposed to go if at all possible? I have an interview there on Monday and didn't realize that none of the e-mails or papers I received, at least that I can find, have this information. Thanks.

My interview e-mail says they want you there at 7:45. But I'm interviewing a different day. I'd assume they're on the same schedule though.

Thanks Tex. I'd assume it is the same also. Man, I was hoping it was 9 or something since I'm driving 2 hours from a suburb or Orlando that morning. Oh well.

It will give you some time to wake up. Good luck. Let us know what you think.

Thanks Tex. I'd assume it is the same also. Man, I was hoping it was 9 or something since I'm driving 2 hours from a suburb or Orlando that morning. Oh well.

Orlando is way way way too far to to travel to Bradenton in the morning, b/c you have to go through rush hour in both orlando and tampa, and then go through st. pete to get to bradenton. If you can swing it, it is much safer to sleep closer to the school. And Tex is right, 7:45 it is. Good luck!

My 2 cents. Stay at a hotel. If you are late that is a big check against you. Good luck on the interview

I'd also recommend not having to drive over in the morning, but if you do make sure you give yourself extra time as I-4 is messy.

Also, if you're coming from Orlando via I-4 you're not going to take 275 thru St. Pete, Just I-4, and then go south on I-75.

In any case I wanted to wish you good luck. You won't be in my PBL group because I have it from 8 to 10 next week (I'll be leaving for the day when you go into PBL :)). It might also be interesting because we switch PBL facilitators on Monday (we have switch half way through the semester). Every facilitator is a little different and you kind of get used to doing things their way over time. Theoretically, the group is yours and the facilitator is there just to guide you when you get off track, but some of them put in a lot more input than others. So...I'm wondering if things will seem a little awkward at first.

While anything COULD happen, I don't really think the drive will be that bad if you leave early enough in the morning. I'd aim to get there by 7 in case traffic is bad. If you're early you can stop by CJ's for a quick breakfast. You might even see me there that early. Good luck again!!!

How long do you think it would take me to get there? My mom lives in Oveido (?). I spent the night at my grandparents the night before my DMU interview and drove there, it took just over two hours. I'm trying to do everything as cheap as possible. Thanks for any info.

Hey, thanks Scpod. I appreciate the sentiment. I'm packing right now for my flight in the morning. Have a good weekend!

Hello

I am interviewing on the 26th of October. Is anyone else interviewing then and if so, where are you staying? I think I will be at the Hampton Inn that the school recommended.

I just got an interview invite for November 5th! Anyone else interviewing on that day? :D

I just got one for November 5th as well. This is my first interview invitation so I am stoked!

gobluegirl and Pablo, did you not get your invites until after all your LORs were in?

My pre-professional committee letter has already been received by them, but they haven't received the D.O. letter of recommendation yet.

So to answer your question, I received an invite before my application was fully complete.

My pre-professional committee letter has already been received by them, but they haven't received the D.O. letter of recommendation yet.

So to answer your question, I received an invite before my application was fully complete.

When did you submit your secondary?

...did you not get your invites until after all your LORs were in?

While nobody will confirm it, I strongly suspect that the strength of your application has a lot to do with your invite. I didn't get an invite until everything was in. However, I know people who got invites before everything was in. I know one guy in my class who got an invite before he even filled out a secondary and he'd never even met a DO before. Of course, his MCAT was 14 points higher than the average and he had a law degree from UCLA.

I wouldn't start to worry until AFTER you have everyting submitted. Then, give it a week or two and call about your status. They interview (and accept people) until April. You really do have lots of time left.

While nobody will confirm it, I strongly suspect that the strength of your application has a lot to do with your invite. I didn't get an invite until everything was in. However, I know people who got invites before everything was in. I know one guy in my class who got an invite before he even filled out a secondary and he'd never even met a DO before. Of course, his MCAT was 14 points higher than the average and he had a law degree from UCLA.

I wouldn't start to worry until AFTER you have everyting submitted. Then, give it a week or two and call about your status. They interview (and accept people) until April. You really do have lots of time left.

Ahhh so you picked up on my neurotic worrying. :p I guess I didn't realize how little patience I have until I started this process. Waiting on my DO LOR is going to be the end of me.