LECOM-Bradenton 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello. Looking forward to become classmates :). I have a question about rotations. I am confused. I looked on several websites and each source has different info. So please clarify the following:
1) How many electives can you do in 3rd year?

Currently there are 2 electives 3rd year.

1.1) How many selectives can you do in 3rd year?

There is one "Core Selective" 3rd year that has to be IM, OB, Peds, Surg, or Psych.

2) How many electives can you do in 4th year?

There are 3 electives 4th year. Currently.

2.1) How many selectives can you do in 4th year?

There is one "Medical Selective" (IM-based, like one of the -ology's, but pretty flexible), one "Surgical Selective" (any surg sub specialty, or anesthesia, or path, or some other things), one primary care selective (FM, IM, Psych, OB, Peds).

3) Is it true that 3rd year selectives can be done anywhere, while 4th year selectives must be done at affiliated hospitals?

No. All electives can be done anywhere that will take you. It's hard to find "real" (i.e. Academic) institutions that will take a 3rd year. But, it's pretty easy to find electives back home, if that's what you want.

4) If you do your 3rd year core clerkships at a single site, does it mean that you also have to do selectives at the same site and they determine when you take your electives?
Thank you.

The year-long sites that have a year-long agreement with LECOM (like Wellington in Palm Beach) do determine your schedule, but just the order. When your electives come, you can still do them wherever.

Hope that clears that up. All that being said, they adjust things occasionally, but there really is A LOT of flexibility. It's a both a blessing and a curse though, because if you want the flexibility, you have to put up with all the headaches of doing that yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently there are 2 electives 3rd year.

There is one "Core Selective" 3rd year that has to be IM, OB, Peds, Surg, or Psych.

There are 3 electives 4th year. Currently.

There is one "Medical Selective" (IM-based, like one of the -ology's, but pretty flexible), one "Surgical Selective" (any surg sub specialty, or anesthesia, or path, or some other things), one primary care selective (FM, IM, Psych, OB, Peds).

No. All electives can be done anywhere that will take you. It's hard to find "real" (i.e. Academic) institutions that will take a 3rd year. But, it's pretty easy to find electives back home, if that's what you want.

The year-long sites that have a year-long agreement with LECOM (like Wellington in Palm Beach) do determine your schedule, but just the order. When your electives come, you can still do them wherever.

Hope that clears that up. All that being said, they adjust things occasionally, but there really is A LOT of flexibility. It's a both a blessing and a curse though, because if you want the flexibility, you have to put up with all the headaches of doing that yourself.

Thank you! I got another question. What happens if most of your regular clerkships start on the first of the month but you want to take a cool elective that runs march24-april12? Does it mean that you would be required to take vacation till the end of april and take some additional shifts/classes at that hospital from march1-24 so your elective would be over 4weeks long?

Thank you! I got another question. What happens if most of your regular clerkships start on the first of the month but you want to take a cool elective that runs march24-april12? Does it mean that you would be required to take vacation till the end of april and take some additional shifts/classes at that hospital from march1-24 so your elective would be over 4weeks long?

Your "Cool Elective" must fit into your LECOM schedule. There's not much you can do about this, sometimes you can play with 2 week electives to make a 4 week fit sandwiched inside 2 two week electives, but they frown on 2 week electives and don't approve them often, from what I understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had a question about 3rd year rotations as well. Do the year long sites have residency programs attached, or is it just dependent on the actual site? (And do you have any idea how many year-long sites are availabel?) I've heard it's best to try and do some rotations at places with residencies just to get used to the training system, but I thought I'd get some opinions from people who've actually gone through rotations...thanks!

I actually had a question about 3rd year rotations as well. Do the year long sites have residency programs attached, or is it just dependent on the actual site? (And do you have any idea how many year-long sites are availabel?) I've heard it's best to try and do some rotations at places with residencies just to get used to the training system, but I thought I'd get some opinions from people who've actually gone through rotations...thanks!

Some of them do have osteopathic residencies attached. There are year long spots at Largo, Wellington, and Sacred Heart Hospital (go Scrubs!) in Pensacola. Of those, Largo is probably MY favorite (based on hearsay), but many of my classmates really liked Wellington too. There are also residencies at some NON year long spots, like Northside in St. Pete. In addition, LECOM has started a couple of residencies (new this year) at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton (in IM and FM, at least). I've heard rumors of ER and Psych, and maybe surg in the works too for Manatee, but nothing concrete.

The number of spots is always in flux, but there are maybe ~6 spots at each place...ish. That's a guestimate. There's usually a lottery for these spots because a lot of people want them, and you also have to have a certain GPA (can't remember what, maybe a 3.0 or better, because I didn't want any of those spots...not because they're not good, but because we decided to move home).

Most of us try to do "audition rotations" for residency (at places with residencies) early in 4th year (or late in 3rd if you can swing it somehow.

Sorry for the late response. I stopped paying attention to this thread when the activity died off a month or two ago.

I'm a new 3rd year, so the rotations business is fresh in my mind. I'm sure it will be different each year, but here's how it was for my class: Year-longs in Florida are at Largo, Wellingon, Pensacola, Orlando, and (new this year) Brandon. I can't remember how many people were allowed to go to each site... seems like a ton of people are at Wellington, like 12-15 at least, versus around 4 in Orlando, 6 or 7 in Brandon... and I can't remember the others.

In addition to that, there were 12 year-long spots available in Pennsylvania for people who wanted them, at 3 or 4 different hospitals. You can't count on them for your class, since we only get the northern spots that are left over after Erie and Seton Hill take their pick, and that will change every year.

In theory, a 3.0 is required for a year-long. The rationale for this is that they've never had anyone with a B average fail the COMLEX yet (though who knows, maybe this is the year for that), and if you fail they have to pull you off of rotations, and your year-long spot would go to waste if they did that to you.

In practice, if there are still spots left after all the people with 3.0 GPAs have chosen where they want to go, then whoever wants a spot can have it. Wellington had enough spots for that to happen this year, and probably Brandon, too, since those didn't get set up until late in the process.

I think Digitl answered the rest of your questions. I'll try to check back here a little more frequently from now on.

Digitlnoize and Altruist, really appreciate the info, exactly what I wanted to know...though as an incoming first year, I suppose I should just try to get through anatomy before worrying about anything else...

Thanks again!

(As a side note, has anybody started doing the "required summer reading?" I feel as though anything I look at now will be forgotten by the time we start classes...)

Digitlnoize and Altruist, really appreciate the info, exactly what I wanted to know...though as an incoming first year, I suppose I should just try to get through anatomy before worrying about anything else...

Thanks again!

(As a side note, has anybody started doing the "required summer reading?" I feel as though anything I look at now will be forgotten by the time we start classes...)

Required summer reading? Before 1st year? :scared:

I'm sure it's not a huge deal. Many people won't even get into class until the week or so before school starts...

Yeaaaaaa, that's how I reacted...300 pages to read before classes start...no thanks.

Congrats! I just finished my freshmen year and right now lookoing into LECOM. For those people who got accepted, what were the stats gpa and mcat for this year?

Did anyone buy their books yet? I was going to wait until I moved to Bradenton (next week) before I bought them, so I didn't have to worry about moving them also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone buy their books yet? I was going to wait until I moved to Bradenton (next week) before I bought them, so I didn't have to worry about moving them also.

Yes, and wait until you talk to some people and see what you really need. You can get some advice from the past LECOM-B Class of xxxx threads.

I already purchased mine. Some I purchased from the site that was emailed to us by the school, the rest I bought off of Barnes and Nobles. Shipping was only 2-3 days for all of my books, so you should be fine waiting until next week. Also check the class of 2015 FB page, a current student posted a list of books to buy. Welcome and good luck with your move!

I already purchased mine. Some I purchased from the site that was emailed to us by the school, the rest I bought off of Barnes and Nobles. Shipping was only 2-3 days for all of my books, so you should be fine waiting until next week. Also check the class of 2015 FB page, a current student posted a list of books to buy. Welcome and good luck with your move!

Oh, and don't forget www.bigwords.com Best book price shopping site ever.

anyone know if the registration and open house days are full dress code? i'm guessing they are but it didn't specifically mention it in the e-mail

anyone know if the registration and open house days are full dress code? i'm guessing they are but it didn't specifically mention it in the e-mail

Yes- Shirt and tie for guys.

I am guessing the rule of thumb is that if it is related to school, you had better be dressed nicely.

Yes- Shirt and tie for guys.

I am guessing the rule of thumb is that if it is related to school, you had better be dressed nicely.

Yes, if it occurs weekdays from 7-5 or so, you better be dressed up, except on Thursday which is OMM lab day.

Hey guys! Congrats on getting accepted into med school!:) Im a freshman at UCF in Orlando and am interested in going into Osteopathic Medicine. My major is Biomedical Science. What did you guys major in? GPA's? MCAT scores? How many schools did you apply to? Was this your first choice? Any other helpful information would be really appreciated. Im looking to see the difficulty of getting accepted.
Thanks so much!:)

Hey guys! Congrats on getting accepted into med school!:) Im a freshman at UCF in Orlando and am interested in going into Osteopathic Medicine. My major is Biomedical Science. What did you guys major in? GPA's? MCAT scores? How many schools did you apply to? Was this your first choice? Any other helpful information would be really appreciated. Im looking to see the difficulty of getting accepted.
Thanks so much!:)

Hey there.

It was not too long ago that I was in your shoes. I was a freshman right out of Winter Park High living in the Apollo dorms on that beautiful campus. 5 (lol i know) years later I started here at LECOM B where I am now a second year. My GPA was overall 3.5 and science was 3.8. my MCAT was a 28. I only applied to three schools but this school was number one mainly for the lack of lecture and the student body here.

Study hard and you will make it. I promise. I had to retake chemistry 1 and 2 when I got Cs in them. (Got As second time). The DO admissions are a little more forgiving when it comes to GPA. Hint-Take intro to nutrition and human nutrtion there. It counts toward science GPA! DO schools also allow grade forgiveness. I started off with M&M at UCF but quickly became bored with evolutionary biology and the like so I switched to interdisciplinary studies (aka three minors....Chem Bio and Physics! haha) Anyway if you have any questions let me know. Take care and Good Luck.

Hi! my name is Andrew! I was accepted into LECOM class of 2016 and in May or June of 2012 I will be renting a 2 bedroom 2 full bathroom place 10 minutes from school with 1000+ sqaure foot interior for $1000 a month split 2 ways between us would be 500 a month and then splitting the utilities for a nice sized place not too far from LECOM. This house will have more space than a typical apartment or condo and will not have any walls connected to a nieghbor's wall and will have a small yard size of less than 0.30 acres. I will be living in a good neighborhood, and will be installing an alarm system. I am a 21 year old male looking for a roommate who is also a medical student in Bradenton. Come this May, if you are interested in being my roommate I would like us to chat via face book and/or talk on the phone so that we can try to ascertain whether or not we will be compatible roommates. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

Last edited:
I interviewed on Monday 1/23/12 and found out I was accepted on Wednesday 1/25/12! I am very impressed with LECOM-B because of their high board scores, PBL, class schedule, low tuition, low living costs, beautiful area, etc.

Last edited:
Looking for any current 4th yrs / recent grads to post their favorite core rotations/sites and why they found them beneficial. Thanks in advance!

Congrats!!!

Anybody have thoughts on the living situation? I recently took a quick trip to check out the housing availability. They gave us a list of apartments but I didn't want to limit myself to those. I saw some townhouses and condos available for rent. I'm leaning towards Colonial Grand. It's nice, just down the road, and it's gated. However, it's expensive. The choices are slim since the Lakewood Ranch area is just being developed.

Questions for current students:
1. Where do you guys live?
2. How do you like it?
3. How minutes, with morning traffic, does it take to get to LECOM?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, i am renting a room in Heritage Harbour about 5 mins from Lecom. Is more affortable, includes washer/dryer, wifi, use of kitchen, at $500 month. l will accept short/long term. Please contact me at [email protected] or you can pass the word. Thanks!!

Hey everyone! Again its early but so are the acceptances this year! Congratulations to the class of 2015! Let's use this to connect before we start next year...

Congreats!! I am renting a room at Heritage Harbour is $500 month. more info please email me at [email protected], thanks!!

congrats to all those accepted into LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2015! I am currently a 4th year student there. Please don't hesitate to post or pm me questions. Ill do my best to answer them.

Hello,
I am accepted applicant for pharmacy school Bradenton campus. I wanted to ask you few things about living and how they dress for school. Also do I have to buy a computer from their bookstore or I can use mine if I have one. I have my own laptop and is in great condition and I want to use for fall 2017. is that possible.

Can I dress a medical scrub or slack pants and white shirt? I feel and most people told me they run the school like business office.

One more thing, i have trouble finding an apartment close to school. the list of apartments they gave us are ~15-20 mins by car and I don't have a car to drive. Any close apartments across the street from the school or is there public transportation that take me to school.

Please help me out with this. It is getting hectic and I life far away from Florida and don't know anyone there.

Million thanks to all good people

Hello, Can someone here plz explain how the problem base study works in LCOM-B, and how u like it VS. lecture diss. thx