LECOM-Bradenton 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just accepted today! I am so excited and can't wait!!! Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to those who still have to interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt recommend LECOM if you want to be involved in school because they require a 3.0 GPA (many schools have NO requirement) to do basically anything, i.e. be an officer in a club, go on school trips, etc!! 75/104 in our class does NOT have a 3.0 GPA so we are always scrambling for people to staff our clubs.
it sucks.

Welcome to SDN...please stop posting the same thing in half a dozen threads. I'm sorry you are unhappy where you chose to go to school.

With that said, I'm curious if any of the current students that have been kind enough to post helpful things in this thread wouldn't mind commenting on his/her post. With 104 as his/her class size I'm guessing he/she is a Seton Hill student.

Members don't see this ad :)
youre right! :) I'm actually not unhappy at LECOM in general, but that specific part of it isn't the best.. just something to look out for if anyone is REALLY interested in being socially involved with school and might have a GPA problem!

Hey all

I'm currently looking for a roommate(s) for the 2015 class. I'm 22 and male but I have no preference towards race, creed, sex, or color. I like to think I'm fairly easy going. I'm just looking for someone to share the costs and maybe go out with every now and then. I'll be new to Florida so we can either explore it together or you can show me the ropes. I'd like to talk over skype at least once to make sure we're compatible. If you're interested PM me here or email me at [email protected]

I realized that I never posted here after I got my acceptance letter on Saturday....so excited to come here, the anxiety sort of melted away once I found a somewhat hefty envelope in the mail....

I can't wait to start in July...the only worries I have are in regards to the rotations/LORs for residency, since they are likely going to be from private physicians instead of ones at academic centers. But I'm probably aiming for FP/IM, so I suppose it's not a big deal for me, plus the match lists have been solid. Extremely happy right now, look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

I realized that I never posted here after I got my acceptance letter on Saturday....so excited to come here, the anxiety sort of melted away once I found a somewhat hefty envelope in the mail....

I can't wait to start in July...the only worries I have are in regards to the rotations/LORs for residency, since they are likely going to be from private physicians instead of ones at academic centers. But I'm probably aiming for FP/IM, so I suppose it's not a big deal for me, plus the match lists have been solid. Extremely happy right now, look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

hey 87, congratulations on your acceptance! I had the same concerns that you do now when I was applying. I found that there are actually a few larger academic centers that lecom has affiliations with, especially up near the erie campus (if you are willing to move around the country). Also- there is always the option of making your own rotation somewhere. If there is a particular program you are looking at for residency for example, many of the hospitals have a way for visiting medical students to do rotations. As far as the private physicians, I think these might actually be the way to obtain the best LORs since you will likely have a lot of 1-1 interaction. Hope that helps, looking forward to meeting you in July.

hey 87, congratulations on your acceptance! I had the same concerns that you do now when I was applying. I found that there are actually a few larger academic centers that lecom has affiliations with, especially up near the erie campus (if you are willing to move around the country). Also- there is always the option of making your own rotation somewhere. If there is a particular program you are looking at for residency for example, many of the hospitals have a way for visiting medical students to do rotations. As far as the private physicians, I think these might actually be the way to obtain the best LORs since you will likely have a lot of 1-1 interaction. Hope that helps, looking forward to meeting you in July.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not set on staying in FL for all my rotations, just want to have the best chance for residency...I was sort of nervous during my interview, so I forgot to ask how many visiting rotations we get and such...

Still, that's way down the line, right now I'm just happy to be in and anxious to get started...look forward to seeing you down there :thumbup:

Anyone know when first year's tuition for our class will be released?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not set on staying in FL for all my rotations, just want to have the best chance for residency...I was sort of nervous during my interview, so I forgot to ask how many visiting rotations we get and such...

You get 2 electives and one "core selective" (meaning it can be IM/surgery/peds/OB-gyn/psych/FP) in 3rd year, plus 4 weeks of vacation. 4th year, you get 3 general electives, one medical selective, one surgical selective and 4 weeks of vacation. It's on you to set up these elective rotations, which is good and bad... you can go pretty anywhere that a hospital and/or doc will accept you, and the school has a list of where people have gone in the past.

There's more to it than that, but for the next year or so (at least), I would worry more about your classes than about rotations.

Anyone know when first year's tuition for our class will be released?

A faculty member told me earlier this week that tuition was going up next year, so I assume they have the numbers set. I'm not sure when they'll make it official, though.

Just got my acceptance. Anybody know when orientation will be? I'm pretty sure the semester start 7/25 but don't know when I'll need to be there before that.

Just got my acceptance. Anybody know when orientation will be? I'm pretty sure the semester start 7/25 but don't know when I'll need to be there before that.

The Thursday and Friday before the 25th (which day depends on the letter of your last name), Saturday is an Open House for friends and family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the best places to live? price, ammenities, location, etc? Does our tuition include a membership to the YMCA there?

...You'll need a white lab coat for anatomy lab, but that's another thing you can buy once you're here. ....

Anatomy lab???? I'm confused :confused: I'm a postbac student at the Erie campus and PBL students in Erie don't have a cadaver or anatomy lab. It's my understanding that PBL students only meet for 3 days/ week 2hrs each time. Is this accurate?

Anatomy lab???? I'm confused :confused: I'm a postbac student at the Erie campus and PBL students in Erie don't have a cadaver or anatomy lab. It's my understanding that PBL students only meet for 3 days/ week 2hrs each time. Is this accurate?

The first ~10 weeks is anatomy which is still taught as traditional lecture/lab style. The bodies are already basically prosected though (by the professors as the course goes along, with some help from 2nd years before the course starts) so it's not a full on disection lab.

The first ~10 weeks is anatomy which is still taught as traditional lecture/lab style. The bodies are already basically prosected though (by the professors as the course goes along, with some help from 2nd years before the course starts) so it's not a full on disection lab.

Ok cool.....after those 10 weeks it's just the 3x/ week though right?

Ok cool.....after those 10 weeks it's just the 3x/ week though right?

I can only speak about Bradenton, but pretty much. And I want to say that in the beginning it may even be something like 2x a week to start off with... but that can change year to year as the schedule is tweaked. I'm not exactly sure what changes they've done in the last couple years. Someone else may have more details.

Just got my acceptance phone call this morning! Can't wait to meet everybody in July!

For PBL sessions, this is how it's been the past 2 years: During anatomy, you have PBL once a week. After anatomy's done, you have PBL 3 times a week until Spring of your 2nd year, when it drops to 2 times a week (Monday/Friday). Because we finish 2nd year in April, I only have 7 PBL sessions left! The past 2 years have really flown by...

For PBL sessions, this is how it's been the past 2 years: During anatomy, you have PBL once a week. After anatomy's done, you have PBL 3 times a week until Spring of your 2nd year, when it drops to 2 times a week (Monday/Friday). Because we finish 2nd year in April, I only have 7 PBL sessions left! The past 2 years have really flown by...

Congrats and good luck on the COMLEX

Hey all, just found the 2015 group on sdn. Looked on here for interview advice for November, and got accepted on Nov 20. I am definitely going to attend LECOM-B and have filled out my matriculation and FAFSA packets. Does anyone know any cheap/good housing locations for 1bed/1bath ? Also, if anyone else is from the Orlando Area, feel free to msg me.

Again Congrats to everyone else in LECOM-B c/o 2015

For all of you looking for roommates and stuff this is Bradenton's private LECOM website lecombsga.com you need a code to register that you will get once you receive your matriculation packet

Hey Everyone. Congrats on your acceptance to LECOM ! I have a 2br/2ba condo I am looking to rent. Its about 7-10min from school, in a great area, close to great places to study. The condo is partially furnished (nicely), it includes everything except for a bed in the second bedroom. Its a 2br/2ba, and Im asking $1200 with all utilities included other than internet and electricity. If your interested, call me at 561-301-5125 or email me at [email protected]. Pics are below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfgrant/sets/72157625751709088/

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, congrats on getting in! You'll love it, PBL is so interesting and Bradenton/Sarasota is a really fun area to live in. If any one needs housing, I need to find a new student to take my Yacht Club apartment.

I'm a current 2nd year student at LECOM and I'm just about to start rotations up north. I have to move by June 1, but my lease at Yacht Club goes through July 31. Yacht Club is the nicest apartment complex recommended by LECOM for its students...there is a giant pool, really nice maintenance guys, a gym, a clubhouse, TONS of LECOM students, and its really close to school. My apartment is an 800 square foot one bedroom with a lakeview...I love it.

I'm trying to sublet my apartment for June and July, since I will be gone. You will have the option of renewing the lease too at the end of July, so you won't have to move twice...I'm also discounting the rent a lot because I really need to fill the apartment for those two months. It would be $500 per month, INCLUDING utilities (I actually pay 749 per month). So basically, you will get really discounted rent for two full months, and then have the option of staying on for the next year in one of the nicer places in Bradenton. Let me know if youre interested!

I can also help you new first years with advice for the school year (eg what books you need that arent on the list, etc).

Hey guys, congrats on getting in! You'll love it, PBL is so interesting and Bradenton/Sarasota is a really fun area to live in. If any one needs housing, I need to find a new student to take my Yacht Club apartment.

I'm a current 2nd year student at LECOM and I'm just about to start rotations up north. I have to move by June 1, but my lease at Yacht Club goes through July 31. Yacht Club is the nicest apartment complex recommended by LECOM for its students...there is a giant pool, really nice maintenance guys, a gym, a clubhouse, TONS of LECOM students, and its really close to school. My apartment is an 800 square foot one bedroom with a lakeview...I love it.

I'm trying to sublet my apartment for June and July, since I will be gone. You will have the option of renewing the lease too at the end of July, so you won't have to move twice...I'm also discounting the rent a lot because I really need to fill the apartment for those two months. It would be $500 per month, INCLUDING utilities (I actually pay 749 per month). So basically, you will get really discounted rent for two full months, and then have the option of staying on for the next year in one of the nicer places in Bradenton. Let me know if youre interested!

I can also help you new first years with advice for the school year (eg what books you need that arent on the list, etc).

Hi I sent you a PM but not sure you are receiving it! Please let me know so I can try to resend!

Hey lecomgal,

Just curious, how are you renting from the yacht club at $750? I've looked at their website and it looks like the cheapest 1br starts at $909. Are there studio apartments I don't know about or something? I would be interested in your place except I won't be down there until mid July, good luck on rotations!

Just got accepted last week for the Class of 2015! looking forward to meeting all of you! Anyone heard anything good or bad about Bay Club? its seems nice and cheap enough to act as base for my wife and I as we do a little house shopping. Still not totally convinced its real -pinch- still holding the acceptance letter... that's a relief :)

When our class started in the summer of 2009, rental prices here were pretty close to bottoming out. That would be my guess for how LecomGal's rent is so much lower than the quoted prices now. Even if they raised the rent on her when she renewed her lease, they might not have raised it that much.

As far as Bay Club, I don't know anyone who lives there. That's not to say it's bad, but it's further into Bradenton than most people care to be. That's a Loooong slow commute down SR70 you're looking at doing every morning while anatomy is going.

But, if it's cheaper, and seems like a nice place, who knows? It may be worth it to you. I have classmates who live up in St. Pete and in Tampa for family/spouse reasons, so it can be done.

Hey lecomgal,

Just curious, how are you renting from the yacht club at $750? I've looked at their website and it looks like the cheapest 1br starts at $909. Are there studio apartments I don't know about or something? I would be interested in your place except I won't be down there until mid July, good luck on rotations!
When I went and looked at the appts, the lady said that they offer a LECOM student discount (its something like 5% and they cut a lot of the intitial fees like security deposit and app fee). Also, the rates change based on occupancy. In the summer when all the students graduate and they have a lot of open units, they tend to drop the price. The lady said most students end up paying around 800 for a 1 br.

For what it's worth, I've been looking at townhomes and condos for rent, and some of the ones I saw were ~$850/month for a 2-bedroom. And they are literally 10 minutes from school. Of course, that doesn't include utilities, but it's probably still worth checking out townhome rentals and such as well as apartments.

As far as Bay Club, I don't know anyone who lives there. That's not to say it's bad, but it's further into Bradenton than most people care to be. That's a Loooong slow commute down SR70 you're looking at doing every morning while anatomy is going.

But, if it's cheaper, and seems like a nice place, who knows? It may be worth it to you. I have classmates who live up in St. Pete and in Tampa for family/spouse reasons, so it can be done.

So SR70 runs very slow? Google estimated 20 minutes to school which I know I can add 10 minutes during peak times but do you think SR70 goes slower than that?

Someone mentioned condos and townhomes- what website did you find them through?

Thanks for your help!

So SR70 runs very slow? Google estimated 20 minutes to school which I know I can add 10 minutes during peak times but do you think SR70 goes slower than that?

My guess is that it'd be more than that, like around 30 minutes on a good day and more if it's busy. Once Lakewood Ranch High School (just south of LECOM) starts up in late August, there's more traffic, and that can add a few minutes more just at the intersection of SR70 and Lakewood Ranch Boulevard--I had PBL group-mates complain about sitting at that light for 10 minutes waiting to turn. 20 minutes just seems way too fast from Cortez in the middle of Bradenton where those apartments are, but I haven't driven that way in a while, so I'm not 100% on this. For comparison, though, it takes close to 10 minutes just to drive from where the interstate meets SR70 to the school.

My experience has been that Google's estimates in the area are pretty accurate for locations near the interstate, and less and less accurate the further you get away from there.

...My experience has been that Google's estimates in the area are pretty accurate for locations near the interstate, and less and less accurate the further you get away from there.

Thank you for your suggestions- I really appreciate the help!

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be a first year student starting in July at LECOM-B. My parents own a condo 15 miles from LECOM on a private golf course in Sarasota. They usually rent it out, but now that I will be moving to Florida I will be living there and am looking for a roommate! If you are interested please look at the attachment I have added with some pictures. They are asking $500 a month (I am paying rent too) and it will include everything: cable, internet, utilities, water etc. There is no security deposit. The condo is fully furnished and you will not need to bring anything unless of course you prefer your own bed or bedroom furniture. There is a pool less than a minute walk away, as well as a fitness center, pool, and hot tub at the main club house. Please email me at [email protected] for more information.

Attachments

• sarasota condo.docx
    499.4 KB · Views: 107
Hello everyone! I was accepted to LECOM-B in November. I would like to congratulate my future classmates and I am very excited to meet you all in July.

Hey all. Congrats on being accepted. It looks like I've finally decided on going to LECOM-B for med school over some of my northern opportunities so I'm at the point where I'm gonna need roommates.

I'm looking to live in a pretty nice place with probably 2-4 roommates, most likely all guys. I think it's always more fun with more people. Rent range probably from $400-$600 a month without utilities, but I'm always looking to save money. I'm down with apartments, condos or housing.

Basically I'm pretty relaxed, but I like to keep the place nice enough that you don't have to rush around cleaning if someone wants to come over. I rarely, if ever, study at home so I don't worry too much about people being too loud.

Ive lived most of my life in NE Ohio and went to college there as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing the sun more that once a month lol. I like to drink every once in a while or check out some relaxed bars in the area. Gotta relax at some point. Just PM me or Facebook me http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=23325223.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

hey guys, this may be more for current students but i'm open to opinions from anyone. are there any other apartment complexes that students recommend, besides the ones listed on the lecom website? is there anything i should know when looking for something, for example, are there areas of town to avoid? obviously i dont want to be too far away but i just wanted to check out any other possible options when i'm in town.

Thanks!!

hey guys, this may be more for current students but i'm open to opinions from anyone. are there any other apartment complexes that students recommend, besides the ones listed on the lecom website? is there anything i should know when looking for something, for example, are there areas of town to avoid? obviously i dont want to be too far away but i just wanted to check out any other possible options when i'm in town.

Thanks!!

Yeah...
I'd avoid Downtown/Central/CentralWest Bradenton...The local crime-blotter usually stars citizens from that area of town.

(The Lakewood Ranch area doesn't really have too much of a problem with that kind of thing, I can honestly think of maybe 2 instances in 2 years.)

Using 75 as a reference point, anything to the west of 75 is closer to school, but could come out a little more expensive unless you shop around. West of 75, on Manatee/64 Carlton Arms is as far as I would look.

There are a ton of different places close to school, and honestly, you really don't want a 20 minute drive in the mornings before an exam. That does NOT help you calm down. (Remember, driving here isn't relaxing, it's like freaking Mad Max, it's a game of survival against all the retirees)

The Yacht Club is GREAT if you are single, always a ton of LECOM students there, great pool, the staff is really nice. The prices are a pain, but I'm still in shock on how expensive stuff is down here, and it's been two years :)

Light House Cove is next door to the Yacht Club. It's a series of Town-homes. A lot of them are individually owned, so they range in price. We're renting a 3 bed 3 bath for 50 bucks more than our 1/1 in the Yacht club. It's a lot more families, but everyone is on the ground floor, which is nice when moving in and out.

Those are the only two places I've lived so that's all I can speak about w/ any actual knowledge.
:)

Good luck!

I'm planning to get a new computer before med school starts and I really want to get a Mac. LECOM specifically mentions in their matriculation package that we shouldn't get a Mac. I wanted to know if it was them just being difficult or if it will actually be significantly harder for me if I buy a Mac.

Yeah...
I'd avoid Downtown/Central/CentralWest Bradenton...The local crime-blotter usually stars citizens from that area of town.

(The Lakewood Ranch area doesn't really have too much of a problem with that kind of thing, I can honestly think of maybe 2 instances in 2 years.)

Using 75 as a reference point, anything to the west of 75 is closer to school, but could come out a little more expensive unless you shop around. West of 75, on Manatee/64 Carlton Arms is as far as I would look.

There are a ton of different places close to school, and honestly, you really don't want a 20 minute drive in the mornings before an exam. That does NOT help you calm down. (Remember, driving here isn't relaxing, it's like freaking Mad Max, it's a game of survival against all the retirees)

The Yacht Club is GREAT if you are single, always a ton of LECOM students there, great pool, the staff is really nice. The prices are a pain, but I'm still in shock on how expensive stuff is down here, and it's been two years :)

Light House Cove is next door to the Yacht Club. It's a series of Town-homes. A lot of them are individually owned, so they range in price. We're renting a 3 bed 3 bath for 50 bucks more than our 1/1 in the Yacht club. It's a lot more families, but everyone is on the ground floor, which is nice when moving in and out.

Those are the only two places I've lived so that's all I can speak about w/ any actual knowledge.
:)

Good luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that! I was actually in town for a few days this past week and ended up signing a lease at the springs, but i just wanted to see what else was around and talk to people with some experience in the area. Thanks again!

2015 schedule for bradenton PBL now online!!!

Hey guys, I'm a Class of 2012-er (starting 4th year), currently studying for boards. I'll try and help answer any questions that pop up, when I check in...

Looks like you've got the housing thing well covered. Yacht Club and LWR (townhouses or Heritage Harbour) are definitely the most popular places. A bunch of people also live in Las Palmas, which are gorgeous apartments, but a little farther away...

Hey guys, I'm a Class of 2012-er (starting 4th year), currently studying for boards. I'll try and help answer any questions that pop up, when I check in...

When can we see the 2011 match list? Is it rude for me to ask this question? I have meet much hostility from people online and in person when I ask this question.

When can we see the 2011 match list? Is it rude for me to ask this question? I have meet much hostility from people online and in person when I ask this question.

Really? Wonder why? I actually haven't seen it myself, but I haven't been looking too hard. I know a bunch of people that got what they wanted...don't know of anyone who didn't, although I'm sure there are a couple. I have a couple friends who went to Anesthesia at Jackson-Miami that I know of...I think there's a partial list floating around somewhere here. Maybe nlax can help you out here...

I saw a partial one posted somewhere on here I thought last week so I'll have to find it again.... not sure where it came from as even we have not been given any sort of official list from the school which a few of us have been asking for.

A few of us have kind of been putting together our own "unofficial" lists but at most I'd probably say we only have half the class so far.

I think the school will post one eventually though, just taking longer than we wanted.

Hello. Looking forward to become classmates :). I have a question about rotations. I am confused. I looked on several websites and each source has different info. So please clarify the following:
1) How many electives can you do in 3rd year?
1.1) How many selectives can you do in 3rd year?
2) How many electives can you do in 4th year?
2.1) How many selectives can you do in 4th year?
3) Is it true that 3rd year selectives can be done anywhere, while 4th year selectives must be done at affiliated hospitals?

4) If you do your 3rd year core clerkships at a single site, does it mean that you also have to do selectives at the same site and they determine when you take your electives?
Thank you.