This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sadly the prank wasn't even that elaborate, basically we had a senior resident who treated us poorly. A couple of my co-interns paged her on call one afternoon and pretended to be transferring doctors from an outside hospital bringing her a trainwreck dumpster fire of a patient (like 95 yo with every possible comorbidity you can imagine, liver failure/renal failure, hep C, hiv, short gut, EC fistula etc) for management of a bleeding hemorrhoid (one piece of gauze saturated....per day!!!) and tried to convince her the charge nurse had already gotten report and they were just giving her a heads up the patient was one the way after they packed him up. She kept saying "I have not accepted this patient you cannot send them!!!" and they just going "whew thank god EMS got him on the stretcher okay.....hey where's the levophed.......Oh damn we forgot the cooler with the FFP!!!" And so on and so on......when she figured out it was them she did what any mature senior resident would do and lodged a formal complaint with the department so they would get in trouble. I've oscillated over the years on how much of a "family" your co-residents can (or cannot) be and it just makes me sad. When I was the trauma chief one of my co residents paged me pretending to be a family doctor moonlighting at a local prison saying a knife fight had broken out in their dialysis unit and they were sending me a school bus full of AV fistula traumas. He had me going for about 10 seconds and we spent weeks laughing about it......I though it was hilarious and tattling on him would not have crossed my mind.

That's awesome. We had a fairly hard-ass chief resident, and when he graduated, a couple of the juniors moved all of his office furniture into the bathroom. I mean it took a couple hours - they hung his pictures/diplomas on the wall and everything, and even put his name on the door. We all thought it was HILARIOUS but he took it really badly and our chair ended up finding out about it, so those involved got some slap on the wrist by the boss. Thankfully I was tied up in a trauma case or I would have been right there with them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't mean to sound jaded or skeptical...I'm an M3 looking into the i6 program or CT after GS (more than likely CT after GS), but-- was it worth it? What is it about being a CT attending that made all the 'sacrifices' worth it? Realistically you're never going to get that time back or have a chance to live it again.
I'll jump in here briefly.
1. Cardiac surgery is the most amazing thing you can do. Period, it's awsome. Not everyone can do it, it's life saving/changing in a way other surgery is not and technically demanding in a way many other surgical fields aren't.
2. For me at least there is no looking back at lost years. Sure they sucked, really really hard at times but if you're going to do ANYTHING worthwhile with your life there's going to be hard work involved. I wouldn't "take back" those years so I could have an average job or even a really good job that was just a job.
3. What would I have done with that time anyway? I've got friends in rads and pediatrics that had nicer schedules. They did things like bike and hike and drink and party more etc. all very nice. But really I did those things in college and medical school, they all run together. It's the same, it's not exceptional, it doesn't stand out. It's like getting married. Why do that? Why have kids when you can have more money no responsibility and sleep with different women all the time? Because In some bizarre likely delusional way (and I'm still wrapping my mind around the details) it's an amazing experience despite the crappy diapers, less money for me and lack of variety. Did the single thing, they all blend together just like the nice calm days of easy schedules. Now that doesn't mean you don't see a nice nursing student from time to time and think holy hell what have I done!?!? But really the sacrifice is worth it. At least that's what I tell myself.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to sound jaded or skeptical...I'm an M3 looking into the i6 program or CT after GS (more than likely CT after GS), but-- was it worth it? What is it about being a CT attending that made all the 'sacrifices' worth it?

Jilted ex-wife slammed two subpoenas into my side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island we had gone on our honeymoon...she just delivered the bomb. The Divorce Bomb. Two men went into the CT fellowship. We was on call in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first CT Attending for about a half an hour. Terror. Six footer. You know...you know how you can tell a CT Attending, Chief? You tell by lookin' how they walk around like they own the place. Well, we didn't know...'cause our fellowship had been on probation for so long, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us as fellows for a week. Very first call night, Chief. The CT Attending come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. And the idea was, the CT Attending goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the CT Attending would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that CT Attending, he looks right into you. Right into your soul. You know the thing about a CT Attending, he's got...soulless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah...then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the operating field turns red and spite of all the tyin' and the bovin' you can't stop the bleedin'. Y'know by the end of that first call, lost a hundred patients! I don't know how many CT Attending there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many fellows, they averaged one a year. On Thursday mornin' Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Winged Scapula from Hanford. I thought she was asleep, reached over to wake her up for rounds. She bobbed up and down in the bed, just like a kinda top. Well...she'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth straight day of call, the ACGME saw us, they swung in low and they saw us. A young guy, a lot younger than Mr. Dynx. And three days later a big Heavyweight comes down to straighten us all out. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never do a CT fellowship again. So, two men went in the fellowship, and one man come out, the CT Attendings took the rest.

Reactions: 8 users
readImage

Reactions: 3 users
A wise person once told me (and I repeat to others): never make a career decision during internship or when sleep deprived.

Sleep deprivation and fatigue are toxic. It affects everything from your mental performance, manual dexterity, motivation, and how you view and deal with patients.

Surgery residency is a long grind with many ups and downs. It is important to remember what got you here, what your goals are, and what you are willing to endure to get there. Internship in some ways is the hardest, though you may look back at it later and think it was really easy. It gets better though (or we just get stronger).

Surgery residency is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be hard and push you to the limits. That is NORMAL. You may be completely right if you decide that is not what you want for your life. But it's hard to be objective about it when you are tired and your body is rebelling against you.

Get some rest, de-stress, and re-evaluate. Also, it is never too late to change paths if that's what you choose. I know people who have completed residency and switched to another. I know attendings who did another residency. Not ideal, but possible, and you may end up better off in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
A wise person once told me (and I repeat to others): never make a career decision during internship or when sleep deprived.

Sleep deprivation and fatigue are toxic. It affects everything from your mental performance, manual dexterity, motivation, and how your view and deal with patients.

Surgery residency is a long grind with many ups and downs. It is important to remember what got you here, what your goals are, and what you are willing to endure to get there. Internship in some ways is the hardest, though you may look back at it later and think it was really easy. It gets better though (or we just get stronger).

Surgery residency is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be hard and push you to the limits. That is NORMAL. You may be completely right if you decide that is not what you want for your life. But it's hard to be objective about it when you are tired and your body is rebelling against you.

Get some rest, de-stress, and re-evaluate. Also, it is never too late to change paths if that's what you choose. I know people who have completed residency and switched to another. I know attendings who did another residency. Not ideal, but possible, and you may end up better off in the long run.

Thanks for your thoughtful post! This post has been selected to be featured in this week's SDN Newsletter and has earned you a $20 Amazon gift card. I will PM you your code.

Reactions: 4 users
I quit surgery, got into anesthesia, and started a family. Couldn't be happier. Life doesn't have to suck during residency and you don't have to wait until training is over to start enjoying your life.

Reactions: 1 user
I quit surgery, got into anesthesia, and started a family. Couldn't be happier. Life doesn't have to suck during residency and you don't have to wait until training is over to start enjoying your life.

Life doesn't have to such during surgical residency either, and you don't have to transfer into anesthesia to start enjoying your life.

Surgery and anesthesia are exceptionally different specialties, and I've never understood how someone could narrow down to these two options because they "love the OR," especially given the multiple other surgical specialties that exist.

I think a switch to anesthesia is a good idea if that's a specialty you enjoy, or perhaps any other specialty that fits the unhappy surgical resident. It just depends on what you want to do as a career for the rest of your life. Everything is a balance of pain and benefit/reward.

Reactions: 6 users
Life doesn't have to such during surgical residency either, and you don't have to transfer into anesthesia to start enjoying your life.

Surgery and anesthesia are exceptionally different specialties, and I've never understood how someone could narrow down to these two options because they "love the OR," especially given the multiple other surgical specialties that exist.

I think a switch to anesthesia is a good idea if that's a specialty you enjoy, or perhaps any other specialty that fits the unhappy surgical resident. It just depends on what you want to do as a career for the rest of your life. Everything is a balance of pain and benefit/reward.

I've met 10x as many unhappy surgery residents as I have other specialties. Surgical residency definitely sucks at times. And I know plenty of residents who are not having kids because of their hours.

The way I saw it there are three places to work in medicine - clinic, OR, and ER. I think if you look at it from this viewpoint, you can see why many previous surgery folk opt for anesthesia vs other disciplines.

There are definitely people who love surgery and those are the people who should stay in it. Those people who smile during Saturday morning rounds, laugh through the 2am lap appy, and just aren't phased by the hours they spend in the hospital. Medicine needs those people. Like a million people have said, "don't do surgery if you can see yourself doing anything else."

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met 10x as many unhappy surgery residents as I have other specialties. Surgical residency definitely sucks at times. And I know plenty of residents who are not having kids because of their hours.

The way I saw it there are three places to work in medicine - clinic, OR, and ER. I think if you look at it from this viewpoint, you can see why many previous surgery folk opt for anesthesia vs other disciplines.

There are definitely people who love surgery and those are the people who should stay in it. Those people who smile during Saturday morning rounds, laugh through the 2am lap appy, and just aren't phased by the hours they spend in the hospital. Medicine needs those people. Like a million people have said, "don't do surgery if you can see yourself doing anything else."
Only suckers do a lap appy at 2 am. All my appys are done in daylight hours (if they come in in the evening there is no harm in getting abx until i can do it the next day).

Reactions: 2 users
Only suckers do a lap appy at 2 am. All my appys are done in daylight hours (if they come in in the evening there is no harm in getting abx until i can do it the next day).

I agree! However, I wasn't in the lap appy specialty, so I'm no sucker.

Jilted ex-wife slammed two subpoenas into my side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island we had gone on our honeymoon...she just delivered the bomb. The Divorce Bomb. Two men went into the CT fellowship. We was on call in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first CT Attending for about a half an hour. Terror. Six footer. You know...you know how you can tell a CT Attending, Chief? You tell by lookin' how they walk around like they own the place. Well, we didn't know...'cause our fellowship had been on probation for so long, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us as fellows for a week. Very first call night, Chief. The CT Attending come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. And the idea was, the CT Attending goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the CT Attending would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that CT Attending, he looks right into you. Right into your soul. You know the thing about a CT Attending, he's got...soulless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah...then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the operating field turns red and spite of all the tyin' and the bovin' you can't stop the bleedin'. Y'know by the end of that first call, lost a hundred patients! I don't know how many CT Attending there were... maybe a thousand! I don't know how many fellows, they averaged one a year. On Thursday mornin' Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Winged Scapula from Hanford. I thought she was asleep, reached over to wake her up for rounds. She bobbed up and down in the bed, just like a kinda top. Well...she'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth straight day of call, the ACGME saw us, they swung in low and they saw us. A young guy, a lot younger than Mr. Dynx. And three days later a big Heavyweight comes down to straighten us all out. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never do a CT fellowship again. So, two men went in the fellowship, and one man come out, the CT Attendings took the rest.

This is genius. If anyone is confused, this speech is from JAWS, where quint talks to Brody and Hooper. "Chief" gave it away

Reactions: 3 users
OK. I wanted to wait til I had some time to sit down and write a thoughtful response. As some background, I'm a PGY-10 currently in a pediatric craniofacial fellowship. I did a general surgery residency at a fairly traditional Northeast program, then a plastics fellowship, and now this fellowship. FWIW, I'm also a woman, although I think for the most part a lot of what you are going through is a somewhat gender neutral experience.

This is going to be a little long and rambling. I thought a lot about your post, and did some reflection about where I was emotionally during the first year or so of my training.

So let's start with the fact that intern year SUCKS. For everyone. Especially this time of year. As an intern, you are literally the lowest person on the totem pole in the entire hospital. Everyone, even the janitor, knows more than you do. You have to do the jobs no one else wants to do. If you are in a program where you get to go to the OR a fair bit, at least you can start to see the payoff, but otherwise you can often feel like you have forgotten what drew you to the field to begin with. People tend to say intern dysphoria hits around Jan/Feb, but honestly I think March/April was the low point for me. By this time you now know how to do "intern things" and are ready to move up to the next level, but you still have THREE MONTHS of being the service whipping boy, and by this point the senior residents are starting to check out emotionally, and everyone is kind of ready for the year to be over and it sucks.

Everyone has a different response to stress like this....mine is often to stress eat, drink too much, stop working out, and convince myself that I "deserve" to spend all my free time on the couch binge-watching netflix. Cue weight gain, emotional lability, and general feelings of worthlessness. I remember sitting in the locker room crying after a case, hiding in the bathroom to cry after rounds, and at one VERY low point basically bursting into tears at the nursing station when my awful chief resident yelled at me in front of the entire team and told me I killed a patient (I didn't). I gained 10 pounds on easier rotations, then lost them again on trauma and vascular. I was told I was disorganized, too tentative, technically inept, weak, sloppy, etc etc. I think my absite that year was 40th percentile.

So all of this is to say that what you are going through is NORMAL for intern year (and not just for surgery, medicine intern year is no joke either). And yes, the things that made intern year miserable for me did get better. I started operating more, getting more responsibility, I started to see my skills (at things like central lines, gallbladders, hernias, etc - not discharge summaries and TPN forms) improve exponentially, and suddenly everything got much more fun. I ended up being one of the more highly-regarded chiefs of my year and got a great fellowship. This will happen for you.

BUT there are things that will not get better. The hours you are working may improve SLIGHTLY when you don't have to pre-round, but you're still going to be getting up early and getting home relatively late. You probably aren't going to get a ton of positive feedback. People are still going to be upset when "minor details" get missed. And they should, because minor details in surgery can become major ones pretty quick. You're training to develop the neuroticism to check each patient's flowsheet carefully once you're an attending, to double check postop orders, to confirm that every task on your to-do list is done before you go home, because if not, people die. And honestly, while this is true for a lot of medical specialties, it's particularly true for surgery, in which most of our patients undergo a huge physiologic insult and we need to carefully ensure that they are recovering appropriately from it. And like @dynx and @dpmd alluded to, this isn't necessarily specific to surgery (Although surgery is a little more fast-paced and demanding), you are going to have long hours and little appreciation in pretty much any residency program that isn't something like dermatology. Not to be dramatic, but you are training to develop the mental and physical fortitude to be able to make quick decisions, think logically, and be attentive to details when you are tired, your kid is sick, your dog just died, you had a fight with your spouse, whatever.

So here comes the tough love part. I think you need to do some introspection, with a mentor or a friend, about why you chose surgery. You say that breast surgery particularly resonated with you - if that is because you enjoy women's health, working with a multidisciplinary oncology team, and guiding patients through their cancer treatment, then yes, you can probably find that same satisfaction in another field like medicine (with subspecialty in oncology perhaps). If you enjoy being in the OR and doing some procedures, anesthesia may also be attractive.

But if you really do love surgery, and operating, then I don't necessarily think you will find that elsewhere. For me, no matter how bad things got, I knew that surgery was the only thing I would ever be happy doing. And if you want to be a surgeon, you need to accept that becoming a surgeon comes with an intense training regimen. You SHOULD be in constant anxiety about missing something, not because "someone will yell at me" but because in just a few short years that is going to be YOUR postop patient and if you miss the fact that the urine output has been dropping for the last few hours, that little old lady is going to go into renal failure from ATN. Your seniors are teaching you to develop that hypervigilance that makes us wake up in the middle of the night and double check that repeat H/H got drawn. That's why they are beating you up over missing little things - the devil is truly in the details in surgery (and honestly, in most medical fields too). It does get easier, as you will start to learn what are the important details and what aren't, and as you transition to a more senior role you will develop more "big picture" thinking. But it's not going to go away, and it's not because people are being mean or unfair.

Your evaluations and ABSITE performance indicate you're doing great, keeping up with reading, and performing at a strong level which I promise you puts you ahead of a lot of your fellow terns (and me when I was your year). So keep that up!

Now. Let's talk about this whole gender thing. You say "I wasn't going to let my gender deter me" from your surgical dream. Yet your entire post reads like you're defining your performance and your difficulties by your gender. Let's be realistic here - female financial executives on Wall Street work 16 hour days on a regular basis and they have to do it in heels and a power suit. You are not struggling because you are a girl. You are not defying some stereotype by being a surgical resident and a girl. No one is going to give you extra sympathy because you're a girl. You can still be a well adjusted and happy young woman and a surgical resident. Yes, you have to get up early. Yes, you have to hit the gym after work when you're tired. Yes, you have to meal plan ahead, pack your lunches, take the stairs on days you can't work out, get up twenty minutes earlier to do your hair and put on some makeup, smile when you're tired and cranky. You need to plan ahead when you need time off, go through the proper channels, and then take it and ignore people who make snide comments. You have to do all these things as a professional woman no matter what field you are in. I think we (and I'm including myself in this) sometimes tend to over-dramatize how hard we have it as girls in a stereotypically male dominated field, but let's be honest. It's not 1950 any more. Your male colleagues for the most part are going through the same stuff you are. I think one of the worst things we can do as women in surgery is complain about how we have it so much harder than the boys, and I really try to stop myself any time I do it. It's a self-defeating path with no positive outcome. I promise, you can still be a happy, healthy, emotionally fulfilled woman and be a surgeon.

I'm going to sum all this up by saying I don't think you should quit. I think you are experiencing a lot of intern blues that are very common at this time of the year. However, I also think you need to reflect a little bit on if you are in surgery for the right reasons. Then, if you decide you do want to pursue surgery, you need to stop apologizing for your lack of a Y chromosome and just push forward to be the best surgeon (not female surgeon) you can be.

I am always available to chat by PM if you like, as well.

Thank you! Great post! :)

Good post, hope you landed on your feet. I am seeking a way out of surgery as well.

This is by far the best thread I've read in a while! Lots of great posts!

Reactions: 1 users
Posts like this make me really doubt my decision to go into surgery. I can't see myself doing anything else. I haven't enjoyed any of my other clerkships like I did surgery. But I am acutely aware of how little actual experience I have and my ability to make an informed decision is so limited. It comes down to "is it worth it?" But how can an MS3 even begin to answer that question. Just like premeds can't really imagine what med school is like until they're in it, I know that I have no idea what residency/beyond will actually be like.

Posts like this make me really doubt my decision to go into surgery. I can't see myself doing anything else. I haven't enjoyed any of my other clerkships like I did surgery. But I am acutely aware of how little actual experience I have and my ability to make an informed decision is so limited. It comes down to "is it worth it?" But how can an MS3 even begin to answer that question. Just like premeds can't really imagine what med school is like until they're in it, I know that I have no idea what residency/beyond will actually be like.
Yep, its a pretty big joke, honestly, the entire process. Next time you mock cognitive dissonance, you should appreciate that its the single most important factor in the happiness you have in your life. Those who are happiest are those with the best and strongest cognitive dissonance: make your choice, fire and forget, and be happy regardless. Not inspiring or useful advice, unfortunately, but true nonetheless.

I dove into general surgery residency nervous but optimistic. Out of all the fields I experienced in medical school nothing resonated with me like breast surgery. It was the operating room, the patient population, the genuine and full fledged feeling that it truly made a difference and saved lives. My sanguine nature, sensitivity, compassion and femininity lead people outside of the surgical field to tell me “I just don’t see you there”. But after reading Lean In and watching two fabulous female mentors who had succeeded I decided to take the plunge. After all I worked hard in medical school and made it into AOA; I wasn’t going to let a personality stereotype or my gender deter me.

But that plunge feels more and more like a belly flop as I flounder during my intern year. Despite a 74th percentile on the Absite and good evaluations I am drowning. The sleep deprivation, daily workload, lack of positive feedback, lack of mentorship and lack of consideration for personal life has done me in.

Aside from my 4 days off a month I have a 4am alarm clock to get me to the hospital by the strict 5am start. My shortest days are 13 hours and I estimate my average workweek to be 85hrs. America has not significantly increased the number of yearly surgical graduates so despite fewer hours than our predecessors there are proportionally less surgical residents to get more work done for an aging population with more surgical needs. And with the rise of the EMR we have more information to keep track of, more paperwork, less organic medical practice. Our attending surgeons constantly tell us how easy we have it and scoff at the duty hours. There is almost no positive feedback, which I suppose is tolerable. But even minor slip-ups will be brought to attention so I live in constant anxiety of missing something. I haven’t found great mentors. When I took a day off (one of my 4 allotted) for a loved ones medical procedure it caused a rift because my chief did not think my senior resident should have approved it. I also had a chief resident tell me how rude it would be if I (the only female in my intern class) were to ever get pregnant during the program. I’ve gained 10lbs and I have stopped exercising due to lack of time. I’ve cried multiple times in my car on the way home out of sheer exhaustion. And I went into surgery a well-adjusted and happy young woman with a good support system. My program is not even unreasonably malignant – I like and admire the people I work with.

I think this endeavor has been a belly flop and I am facing the reality that getting out of the pool may be a wiser decision than continuing to try to keep my head above water. I am living in an exhausted, overwhelmed state. Despite loving the OR I do not think the cost is worth the benefit. Surgery does not hold the monopoly on worthwhile fields that make differences in peoples lives. And until surgery decides to address the issues I have mentioned above I do not think it will ever stop losing great minds to fields like dermatology.

Updates on what OP is decided?

Last edited:
This is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for this. I’m so glad I’m not the only female surgeon who feels this way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Aww thanks!!!! One of the things I love about SDN is it’s allowed me to meet so many incredible women who are role models both as women and as surgeons - like yourself, @Winged Scapula, @dpmd, @Smurfette , and others I’m sure I’m forgetting. :)

sj139 said:
I dove into general surgery residency nervous but optimistic. Out of all the fields I experienced in medical school nothing resonated with me like breast surgery. It was the operating room, the patient population, the genuine and full fledged feeling that it truly made a difference and saved lives. My sanguine nature, sensitivity, compassion and femininity lead people outside of the surgical field to tell me “I just don’t see you there”. But after reading Lean In and watching two fabulous female mentors who had succeeded I decided to take the plunge. After all I worked hard in medical school and made it into AOA; I wasn’t going to let a personality stereotype or my gender deter me.

But that plunge feels more and more like a belly flop as I flounder during my intern year. Despite a 74th percentile on the Absite and good evaluations I am drowning. The sleep deprivation, daily workload, lack of positive feedback, lack of mentorship and lack of consideration for personal life has done me in.

Aside from my 4 days off a month I have a 4am alarm clock to get me to the hospital by the strict 5am start. My shortest days are 13 hours and I estimate my average workweek to be 85hrs. America has not significantly increased the number of yearly surgical graduates so despite fewer hours than our predecessors there are proportionally less surgical residents to get more work done for an aging population with more surgical needs. And with the rise of the EMR we have more information to keep track of, more paperwork, less organic medical practice. Our attending surgeons constantly tell us how easy we have it and scoff at the duty hours. There is almost no positive feedback, which I suppose is tolerable. But even minor slip-ups will be brought to attention so I live in constant anxiety of missing something. I haven’t found great mentors. When I took a day off (one of my 4 allotted) for a loved ones medical procedure it caused a rift because my chief did not think my senior resident should have approved it. I also had a chief resident tell me how rude it would be if I (the only female in my intern class) were to ever get pregnant during the program. I’ve gained 10lbs and I have stopped exercising due to lack of time. I’ve cried multiple times in my car on the way home out of sheer exhaustion. And I went into surgery a well-adjusted and happy young woman with a good support system. My program is not even unreasonably malignant – I like and admire the people I work with.

I think this endeavor has been a belly flop and I am facing the reality that getting out of the pool may be a wiser decision than continuing to try to keep my head above water. I am living in an exhausted, overwhelmed state. Despite loving the OR I do not think the cost is worth the benefit. Surgery does not hold the monopoly on worthwhile fields that make differences in peoples lives. And until surgery decides to address the issues I have mentioned above I do not think it will ever stop losing great minds to fields like dermatology.

I hope she is doing all right.

Listen up babe, gonna tell you why you're gonna be stayin' in surgery. Been a while since I been 'round these parts. Thoracics my game now, cardiothoracics to be exact 'cuz if you ain't operating on that myocardium you ain't really operating as the saying goes. Residency took an extra year after PD man stuck me on sabbatical in the lab so things would cool down between us and them ER consulting docs. Tensions been brewing mighty bad between departments for a while 'til it all poured over one night. But if any you gents claim you haven't been in a shouting match in the middle of the ER at 3 a.m. with an ER doc over some useless consult and had to be escorted out by security then I'm gonna have to call you a liar. Didn't write a single paper during that there research year, had a thirsty prelim rez wanting a cat spot do all that researching and number crunching while I teed off on the back 9 hole like a heavyweight do. Went in cardiothoracics and thought 'bout quiting qdaily. Old school fellowship program, 1 fellow, no mercy and even less excuses. Chairman had recently gotten off suspension for some divorcing fiasco. But if any you gents claim you haven't crossed state lines to avoid paying alimony to an ex-wife then I'm gonna have to call you a liar. Made it through now I'm throwing my weight around in private practice. Many a scrub nurses have cried, many a complaints have been written up, many a meetings with HR have been had. Make a long story short babe, you'll be fine. Keep going through. Just a lightweight now but you'll come out heavy on the other side if you don't quit. Would write more but gotta meet up early tomorrow for some mandated counseling sessions to keep my operating privileges. Shrink lady calls it "Intermittent Explosive Disorder". Suppose that's the diagnosis you want if you wanna be a real heavy in this specialty, besides the typical "Severe Narcissitic Grandiose Delusional Disorder".
What?! This is the best thing i've read in a while! :laugh: