Leaving malignant TRI year with contract for follow-on residency in place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketman0314

Member?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could really use some advice.
I'm currently a PGY-1 doing a TRI year. I have a contract for an IM residency position to begin in July at a new institution. I'll be coming in as a PGY-1 again, as this new residency will not grant me any time for my current year.
Anyway, the program I am at now is malignant, especially the program director. We have never liked one another, and it appears he is doing everything in his power to get me dismissed. I have not been a "perfect" resident, but I have a lot of attendings that I've worked with this past year who would vouch for me in a heartbeat.

So my question is...... If I decide to withdraw from the remainder of my current residency, what if any repurcussions could I face as I trudge the happy road of residency and beyond.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First, I am sorry this PD is out to get you; though unsavory and uncommon, this does happen at many programs only not many garner the courage to admit as much for fear of being labeled disgruntled, incompetent, unwilling to accept criticism, etc.

This PD has it out for you - it doesnt matter if the remainder 99 percent of staff love you. The PD has ultimate and absolute power over you - you need to try and tip the scales back to neutral by hiring an experienced lawyer who will guide you through this horrible time and provide you the best possible outcome no matter what. Avoid discussing with residents, this will only give the PD more ammo against you.

There is no such thing as a perfect doctor, resident or attending alike. We are all human, and prone to error. Unfortunately, truth doesnt make rules, those in authority do. Your mistakes will get magnified while everyone elses will get minified, all because of your PD.

Last edited:
Do you think you can make it through the next 50 days or so without being dismissed? Regardless of how it turns out you will need the assistance of this program going into the future as you will need verification from the program on every licensing application/board exam application you fill out in the future. burning bridges by quitting early is not a good idea if you can help it.

You will also need to account for literally every bit of time more than a weekend off since completing medical school on these applications so you won't be able to just skip over the time you've spent in this program. Finishing the year is really the best thing you can do for yourself even if it is very unpleasant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm currently a PGY-1 doing a TRI year. I have a contract for an IM residency position to begin in July at a new institution. I'll be coming in as a PGY-1 again, as this new residency will not grant me any time for my current year.
Anyway, the program I am at now is malignant, especially the program director. We have never liked one another, and it appears he is doing everything in his power to get me dismissed. I have not been a "perfect" resident, but I have a lot of attendings that I've worked with this past year who would vouch for me in a heartbeat.

So my question is...... If I decide to withdraw from the remainder of my current residency, what if any repurcussions could I face as I trudge the happy road of residency and beyond.
If you decide to withdraw, for the rest of your life you will be answering "yes" to questions on licensing forms and credentialing paperwork that you failed to complete a training program. Probably won't be killer... but given it's already May, why do that to yourself?

Finish off the last month and a half.

Yeah. I agree that the additional paperwork you will have to complete will just not be worth it for that addition month of pai

Although it is close to the end of the year, the anxiety you would encounter about the scumbag PD trying to hurt your career would far outweigh the anxiety of sucking it up for a couple of more months. Oh and stay under the radar likea MF'er.

First, I am sorry this PD is out to get you; though unsavory and uncommon, this does happen at many programs only not many garner the courage to admit as much for fear of being labeled disgruntled, incompetent, unwilling to accept criticism, etc.

This PD has it out for you - it doesnt matter if the remainder 99 percent of staff love you. The PD has ultimate and absolute power over you - you need to try and tip the scales back to neutral by hiring an experienced lawyer who will guide you through this horrible time and provide you the best possible outcome no matter what. Avoid discussing with residents, this will only give the PD more ammo against you.

There is no such thing as a perfect doctor, resident or attending alike. We are all human, and prone to error. Unfortunately, truth doesnt make rules, those in authority do. Your mistakes will get magnified while everyone elses will get minified, all because of your PD.

really? no chip?

really? no chip?

You've read their post right? Would you rather I tell them they are in the wrong and kick them while down? Nothing wrong with acknowledging OP's hurt feelings.

Plus, these things do happen rokshana, maybe more than we like to admit, and as a community we need to make it easier for them to come forward and share
their stories.

You've read their post right? Would you rather I tell them they are in the wrong and kick them while down? Nothing wrong with acknowledging OP's hurt feelings.

Plus, these things do happen rokshana, maybe more than we like to admit, and as a community we need to make it easier for them to come forward and share
their stories.
he has a month and a half to get through this residency...he has had the wherewithal to have lasted the last 10 months here...and as others have alluded, the paperwork and the scrutiny that he would have to do through for the REST of his medical career if he abruptly leaves is not worth it.

and you have been told before in another thread, by aPD no less, that the days of the dictatorial PD are over...probation, remediation, and dismissal are now the domain of RPECs not just the PD...not sure what kinda hurt a PD gave you , but it does seem to color your view of things.

Reactions: 1 users
Thats fine there, that post (mine) was made bf aPD posted and before lucid offered more clarification.

Look at the time, date.

Ill make sure that my posts coincide with what makes most sense all things considered going forward. I apologize for that, it takes some time to learn the ropes of each forum and as a fellow member pointed out to me I should be doing a better job of gauging before posting.

Ill make sure that my posts coincide with what makes most sense all things considered going forward.
This is actually pretty good advice for life in general.

Unless you're the 45th president of the US, in which case, all bets are off.

Reactions: 5 users

Lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Would you mind sharing what region of the country this TRI is in?

Interesting, a democrat who is banning republicans and conservatives. SDN censorship and a perfect example of derailing a thread when there was no politics involves until a sdn moderator violated the very rules he is supposed to abide by.

LOL

Rules? It's all discretionary which by definition invokes biases and pre-conceptions.

Gutonc is definitely tough/loud and sometimes seemingly shoot-from-the-hip reactionary, but at least you know where you stand with him which I can respect.

Also, you're probably gonna be banned soon cause you ain't fooling no one so enjoy it while it lasts.

Yes, that is wonderful. Gutonc, reactionary....meaning intolerant of those with beliefs consistent of republicans/conservatives. Definitely know I will be banned soon. Just pointing out the lack of free speech on SDN.

Personally, I think he's a giant teddy bear.

It's hard to do what he does without caring fundamentally about SDN and its members.

Last edited:
Interesting, a democrat who is banning republicans and conservatives. SDN censorship and a perfect example of derailing a thread when there was no politics involves until a sdn moderator violated the very rules he is supposed to abide by.

Sounds like someone needs the bruhammer...

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

/
I'm sure when I wake up tomorrow morning I'll be banned (again). For the moderators, all I ask is to be allowed to have an account. I have NEVER violated any rules (except unwritten rule of being conservative). I'll quit making accounts once I'm allowed to have an account.

To be honest, I actually believe much of the republican party is full of *****ic career politicians who have sold their soul to the devil. However, I do feel Trump is doing good so far and much better than Obama ever did. For the previous sentence, I'm sure a SDN account is impossible.

You aren't banned for your political viewpoints. If you want to discuss politics, take it to the Sociopolitical Forum.

Actually, yes I am. I'm (not just me) called a troll and names. I don't want to discuss politics, but when others are (look at previous accounts) and I oppose the SDN liberal doctrine I am banned. Ask gutonc, he could tell you.

Huh...

just a few weeks ago we were accused of being Breitbart clones.

Nonetheless, this is not the place to discuss politics. Any prior administrative action against your account has nothing to do with your politics. We have just as many conservative members on staff as we do liberals.

Reactions: 3 users
The last statement is simply false. "Not the place to discuss politics" and one of the moderators dissed Trump in a 100% non-political thread. This was the same idiot who banned my original account.

If there are as many conservatives on staff, do they have to sign a contract stating they will uphold the liberal doctrine or surrender their title of moderator? Where are they at because the number of liberals is overwhelming. The liberals never get banned or suspended for name calling and becoming hostile towards conservatives, no sir, it is a one way street with liberals and SDN.

Now you're just being ridiculous.

As a matter fact a very popular member recently received some administrative action for his comments about Trump, much to the derision of many of the members. So it's completely false to say that liberals never receive any derogatory actions.

The last statement is simply false. "Not the place to discuss politics" and one of the moderators dissed Trump in a 100% non-political thread. This was the same idiot who banned my original account.

If there are as many conservatives on staff, do they have to sign a contract stating they will uphold the liberal doctrine or surrender their title of moderator? Where are they at because the number of liberals is overwhelming. The liberals never get banned or suspended for name calling and becoming hostile towards conservatives, no sir, it is a one way street with liberals and SDN.

Lay off the white powder. It's side effects are becoming increasingly apparent with each re-incarnation.

Reactions: 2 users
Now you're just being ridiculous.

As a matter fact a very popular member recently received some administrative action for his comments about Trump, much to the derision of many of the members. So it's completely false to say that liberals never receive any derogatory actions.

To be fair, there have been a few off hand comments regarding the president/his office in non political threads by moderation staff which seem to get no admin action (at least not any that is apparent anyways).

Maybe we can all play by the same rules?

Here are two examples that involve myself directly:

Are you gunning for an IR spot or Sean Spicer's job? Hard to tell from this post.

This is actually pretty good advice for life in general.

Unless you're the 45th president of the US, in which case, all bets are off.

Tell me how I ask for an account the normal way. I have messaged the moderators and they never reply. I'm looking for answers.

Apologize here for being a douche bag, then stop creating accounts.

That's where I would start.

You're on the verge of trespassing/harassment. Don't be an idiot.

To be fair, there have been a few off hand comments regarding the president/his office in non political threads by moderation staff which seem to get no admin action (at least not any that is apparent anyways).

Maybe we can all play by the same rules?

Here are two examples that involve myself directly:

Fair enough. I don't believe anyone has ever claimed that staff is immune to stepping outside the bounds of propriety from time to time. We've all done it.

That doesn't make it right but in fact, what you're not seeing, is that I personally spoke to the moderator in question about these posts. So they were noticed but this insistence that nothing was done ignores the fact that a lot of things get done behind the scenes.

Furthermore, if people don't use the report post function we may actually have no way of knowing these things occur given the hundreds of posts made daily on our forums.

The issue is not the offhand comments that get made but rather persistent attempts to hold conversations/arguments which are off-topic and or outside the appropriate forum.

Your little Radiology friend's insistence that he was banned for being a conservative is baseless. Because I presume he is still reading this, he should know that continuing to register accounts when he has been warned that he is banned from our site does constitute harassment in the legal sense.

Your little Radiology friend's insistence that he was banned for being a conservative is baseless. Because I presume he is still reading this, he should know that continuing to register accounts when he has been warned that he is banned from our site does constitute harassment in the legal sense.

:clap::clap::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Fair enough. I don't believe anyone has ever claimed that staff is immune to stepping outside the bounds of propriety from time to time. We've all done it.

That doesn't make it right but in fact, what you're not seeing, is that I personally spoke to the moderator in question about these posts. So they were noticed but this insistence that nothing was done ignores the fact that a lot of things get done behind the scenes.

Furthermore, if people don't use the report post function we may actually have no way of knowing these things occur given the hundreds of posts made daily on our forums.

The issue is not the offhand comments that get made but rather persistent attempts to hold conversations/arguments which are off-topic and or outside the appropriate forum.

Sadly, he didn't learn from his earlier experiences, since he tried to respawn today. Go sic the lawyers on him!