Least unfilled spots since 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't believe once you get an interview that its the only criteria determining where your ranked. I asked several interviewers how they approach ranking "so many amazingly qualified applicants" and most had a formula such as 1/3 objective numbers and 2/3 interview criteria; or vice versa, or 1/2 and 1/2 etc. Point is you have 4 years of objective/subjective data on your ERAS application and your interview day is a single, largely subjective instance. To base ones rank solely on interview day would be unwise, most that have made it to residency interviews are capable of putting on a show for a few hours.

I was trying to bring some peace to the impending flame war. I get your point though.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe once you get an interview that its the only criteria determining where your ranked. I asked several interviewers how they approach ranking "so many amazingly qualified applicants" and most had a formula such as 1/3 objective numbers and 2/3 interview criteria; or vice versa, or 1/2 and 1/2 etc. Point is you have 4 years of objective/subjective data on your ERAS application and your interview day is a single, largely subjective instance. To base ones rank solely on interview day would be unwise, most that have made it to residency interviews are capable of putting on a show for a few hours.
I agree with you. I would say out of the people who they really liked in person, it becomes hard to separate them. If two people both seemed like great fits, a pd may go back to see if there are notable differences in things like scores, did this person do an away with us, did I meet them at sir, do I know their letter writers, etc. I think the interview is what puts people into the the "we like" category, "meh" category, and "don't like" category. Now how people determine rank within the "we like" category is anyone's guess but varies between institutions.