LDS UNLV students (and future students)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrEagleMike

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other LDS students out there know any great places to live while attending UNLV? We're just really excited so we want to start planning!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not LDS but when I visited UNLV I got the impression that Henderson was a nice place to live if you have a family.

Henderson (south side of las vegas) is nice, but a little far from the school. Summerlin (west side of las vegas) would be a better choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call BYU preprofessional office and ask for a list of dental students that don't mind to be contacted at UNLV. And ask them, I imagine students know the best.

My family and I own a few condos in Las Vegas.
There is a 2 bedroom condo that will be available for rent in the near future (2-3 months, maybe sooner).
It is just 3 or 4 miles from the UNLV dental school campus!
Message me if interested!

We would be interested in renting your condo. However, I don't graduate (from my undergrad) until April in which case you may have already filled your condo by that time. Please let us know details if it would still be a possibility i.e. rent cost, utilities, neighborhood, floorplan, pictures etc. Anything would be helpful! Thanks for replying to the thread!

DrEagleMike are you going to give up your spot at Western? ugh you would help me out a lot. I'm hating this process/waiting game.

DrClippers, just like i'm sure you would want to do, i'm still weighing my options. But I feel for you. I definately wouldn't hold on to any school longer than I have to.

what does LDS mean? and where are good places to live in vegas for dental school if you are not this "LDS" thing?

LDS = Latter-Day Saint

Short for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

AKA as.............. the Mormons. :)

Any LDS girls moving coming to UNLV and looking for roommates, let me know.

-

Last edited:
LDS guy here. :thumbup: I'm planning on applying to UNLV, but I don't graduate for a few years.:D Anyone mind telling me how the application process went for them? Gracias

Members don't see this ad :)
It went well for me. UNLV seems to prefer a lot of LDS people. I think that's why I applied, thinking I had a better chance. Also, at the interview, almost half of the interviewees were LDS, specifically from BYU provo. (I'm at Byu idaho). I was impressed by their staff. The facility was very new and high-tech. They put a lot of emphasis on the Reading Comprehension section of the DAT. I was worried about that because I didn't do so hot on that part. Also, since they use an equation for ranking you against other applicants, the math section of the DAT is also part of the equation, so make sure you do well on those sections as well as the sciences.
So UNLV is your numero uno choice?

Oh, that's a nother cool thing about UNLV! They have spanish part of the curriculum, and require you to learn it because a lot of their patients are only spanish speaking.

The spanish course here is a joke.

Is that a sound of resentment towards the course or the entire school?

Haha. No, not a sound of resentment towards the school nor the course per se. I actually got a high A for the class. I took a decent amount of spanish in college and know it pretty well. The class was just a joke and nobody learned how to even remotely learn enough spanish to speak to a patient. The class was only 5 weeks long and we met once a week. So 5 classes.
I'm sure you've heard a lot, but the school is very good. I just didn't want you thinking you will become a great spanish speaker if you were banking on that.

DrEagleMike, did you get that database?

When I interviewed at UNLV I mentioned that I was interested in the Spanish program and told them I thought it was very cool. The faculty member laughed at me and told me it was a joke and that it really wasn't beneficial, apparently not many people learned any Spanish.

Anyway long story short I left my interview less impressed with UNLV.

DrEagleMike, did you get that database?

JoeDDS, I did get the database. It'll be very helpful! Thanks! :thumbup:

I pretty much know spanish, I thought it would just be a good refresher course.

Would you current UNLV students say UNLV is a good school while I keep specializing an option? I mean, If I decide to specialize, could I successfully get into a program?

JoeDDS, I did get the database. It'll be very helpful! Thanks! :thumbup:

I pretty much know spanish, I thought it would just be a good refresher course.

Would you current UNLV students say UNLV is a good school while I keep specializing an option? I mean, If I decide to specialize, could I successfully get into a program?

I was looking at the powerpoint that is given to students on the interview day. It showed how many students applied for each specialty program for last year and how many were accepted/matched. I don't know the exact breakdown but the acceptance ratio was quite high. I know 4th years who have had interviews all over the US at prestigious programs. I don't understand why all predents think they are much more likely to be accepted to a specialty program if they go to some Ivy league for dental school. It honestly doesn't matter. What matters are your Part I boards, class rank, letters of rec, and extracurriculars. That's a fact.

@ Dr. EagleMike.

I applied to UNLV because of the larger LDS community there, I'm from SoCal so I'm not that far. I have a friend you'll meet him next year, Deon the 6'5" LDS black guy who will look out of place at the school next to everyone else. Grew up playing basketball with him great guy and his wife is a good friend as well.

Unfortunately today I just got my rejection letter from UNLV I was disturbed since I am LDS, bilingual, etc.. had 20's across the board on my DAT and thought for sure I would get an interview. Maybe you fit my description so they can only take one of us. Maybe I'll get lucky and get your spot at Western then as a consolation.

Still if you are looking for nice areas, pretty much the North side of LV is the old part of town. The newer South and Eastern parts is where the Temple is and a much higher population of LDS people. If you want to email me I could hook you up with Deon to ask about the area since I know he had been filling me in these past months.

It went well for me. UNLV seems to prefer a lot of LDS people. I think that's why I applied, thinking I had a better chance. Also, at the interview, almost half of the interviewees were LDS, specifically from BYU provo. (I'm at Byu idaho). I was impressed by their staff. The facility was very new and high-tech. They put a lot of emphasis on the Reading Comprehension section of the DAT. I was worried about that because I didn't do so hot on that part. Also, since they use an equation for ranking you against other applicants, the math section of the DAT is also part of the equation, so make sure you do well on those sections as well as the sciences.
So UNLV is your numero uno choice?

Oh, that's a nother cool thing about UNLV! They have spanish part of the curriculum, and require you to learn it because a lot of their patients are only spanish speaking.

UNLV doesn't prefer LDS, it prefers good scores and well rounded students. The fact that we are close to Utah and there is a high population of LDS in Las Vegas and Nevada is why we have so many applicants and we get alot of really competitive ones because they want to stay close to home. I don't want people who aren't LDS to think that they are discriminated against because they aren't LDS because that's not true. They can't do that because it is a public school. I think the demographics of the classes is gradually going to change as UNLV gains a good name (as it should) and we start bringing in more students from out east and south.

Well thank you to everyone who posted constructive comments. You have been a big help!

To everyone still looking for a place to stay...
I have a condo that will be available in August.
2 bedroom 1 bath in a gated community, not far from UNLV at all...
Email me at [email protected] for more information.

I know this post is kind of old, but I just wanted to say for all those who will be looking for housing here in Vegas to go to UNLV, that unless you feel like you need to live really, really close to the school, there is absolutely no reason why you should rent an apartment, rather than a house. There are so many houses for rent in areas relatively close to the school, and you can rent them for about the same price, if not cheaper, than an apartment.

I am renting a house in the southwest part of Vegas, and if I end up going to UNLV I will continue to live here. It isn't too far from the school, and you can avoid the I-15 by taking back roads. I would also suggest the Summerlin area (that's west of the school). The closer you get the the school, the worse the neighborhoods get (the school is in kind of a rough area).

I would also consider the fact that there isn't a library or really any place to study on the dental school campus. A lot of students I know go to the main campus to study, which is further southeast. So you might want to live south rather than west.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

I know this post is kind of old, but I just wanted to say for all those who will be looking for housing here in Vegas to go to UNLV, that unless you feel like you need to live really, really close to the school, there is absolutely no reason why you should rent an apartment, rather than a house. There are so many houses for rent in areas relatively close to the school, and you can rent them for about the same price, if not cheaper, than an apartment.

Hey if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for renting the house? I have a wife, a baby on the way in less than a month, a big dog, and a cat, so an apartment just isn't going to cut it.

Hey if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for renting the house? I have a wife, a baby on the way in less than a month, a big dog, and a cat, so an apartment just isn't going to cut it.

$1145/month, 1300 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage.

Anyone driving down from Utah to interview on Nov 12? If I can carpool with you, I have a free place you can stay at...
Email me at [email protected]