Lawmakers looking to improve eating disorder treatment in the US with funding cuts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Article from 2015.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/...ve-Eating-Disorder-Treatments--324269661.html

Can someone explain this to me? If you have a system of insurance based medicine where does funding or funding cuts come into it? Funding to me means Government funding, but apart from medicaid you guys don't really have any sort of Government system healthcare (not the way I understand it at least). So is it the insurance companies that are cutting funding? Are they the ones that are saying 'Okay we'll cut funding by X amount of dollars, and then we'll cut funding even further after that?'.

"... in 2008, New York State had about one million dollars in funding for eating disorder treatment.
In 2015, it’s cut in half."

"In Washington, some senators have been pushing for legislation like the Anna Westin Act that would ensure eating disorders are treated the same as any other health issue."

Sad footnote to the article, the woman who is mentioned as an example of the issues with access to care died late yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

What evidence is there that current treatment strategies for eating disorders are of any benefit? Why do people take for granted that throwing public money at causes like this even helps anybody?

Psych care isn't always covered by insurance and there are some publicly funded options. however there is a limit to public money and decisions cut funding to a program aren't done thinking it will improve care. They are done for budgetary reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I think the problem isn't the lack of funding for treatment (which mostly doesn't seem to be effective) but rather lack of funding for research. Mental illnesses such as bipolar get so much attention and funding, yet eating disorders get so little.