DO Late medical School application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walkerj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is a little redundant, but most other threads aren't the complete criteria I am looking for.

I graduated this past December and just recently started looking into medical school and taking the MCAT. I'm taking the MCAT in late August, and I know by then it will be too late to apply for MD but will I still have a good opportunity for DO if I do well? Also can I apply ahead of time without my MCAT just to have it processed right when the score becomes available?

I have a 3.45 overall GPA with a 3.4 science GPA, no upward trends. I worked close to full time through those 4 years.
I have shadowing experience and volunteer experience as well as working in surgical sales for the last 5 months. Which basically means I've seen a crap ton of surgeries in all different specialties.

Should I just wait to apply? Or apply and use the feedback to apply the next cycle if I don't get in? Money isn't the issue when it comes to applying.

Thank you so much for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your timeline is fine. The DO cycle is longer than that for MD.

So I know this is a little redundant, but most other threads aren't the complete criteria I am looking for.

I graduated this past December and just recently started looking into medical school and taking the MCAT. I'm taking the MCAT in late August, and I know by then it will be too late to apply for MD but will I still have a good opportunity for DO if I do well? Also can I apply ahead of time without my MCAT just to have it processed right when the score becomes available?

I have a 3.45 overall GPA with a 3.4 science GPA, no upward trends. I worked close to full time through those 4 years.
I have shadowing experience and volunteer experience as well as working in surgical sales for the last 5 months. Which basically means I've seen a crap ton of surgeries in all different specialties.

Should I just wait to apply? Or apply and use the feedback to apply the next cycle if I don't get in? Money isn't the issue when it comes to applying.

Thank you so much for any help.

Reactions: 1 user