Late in uploading Letter of Recommendation to ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS Normandy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've always been one to have everything in my application squared away so I can submit on Day 1. Having the LORs uploaded unfortunately aren't in my control, and I've been told by my writers they may still take a few weeks.

Do you think "late LOR uploads" will affect interview handouts? Or is this a common issue with fellowship applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I've always been one to have everything in my application squared away so I can submit on Day 1. Having the LORs uploaded unfortunately aren't in my control, and I've been told by my writers they may still take a few weeks.

Do you think "late LOR uploads" will affect interview handouts? Or is this a common issue with fellowship applications?
It's better to have it early but like you said you can't do anything about it. If they won't have it done until August I'd consider trying to find someone else who might be able to do it faster.

it probably is a common issue for applicants and rather unfortunate. it does matter, but nothing you can do about it except for reminders

Members don't see this ad :)
What a horrible feeling. Part of my frustrations are with the EFDO system. Half the time my referees can't get the uploads to work. And 5 processing days? Argh!!! This is just not necessary.

On a less complainy note, if I am waiting for one outstanding letter, which I plan to assign just for pulm only programs, should I just submit my application for pulm/CCM?

My PD LOR was submitted to EFDO on Monday, but isn't released yet. Should I submit by the 8am cutoff in the morning or wait until the letter is released? Does anyone know what is worse: late submission or missing letter? I would hate for them to view my application as incomplete and disregard it or not check back for the missing letter later. Does anyone have any insight on the process from the Fellowship side? At the moment, I'm planning to apply and have my PD email the programs because honestly it was his and his secretary's fault--not mine. I did everything in more than enough time.

My PD LOR was submitted to EFDO on Monday, but isn't released yet. Should I submit by the 8am cutoff in the morning or wait until the letter is released? Does anyone know what is worse: late submission or missing letter? I would hate for them to view my application as incomplete and disregard it or not check back for the missing letter later. Does anyone have any insight on the process from the Fellowship side? At the moment, I'm planning to apply and have my PD email the programs because honestly it was his and his secretary's fault--not mine. I did everything in more than enough time.

Programs likely will not even start reviewing applications until ATLEAST next week. Good thing is submission day fell on a Friday this year so really it means nothing, next week will start things off and by then your letter will be uploaded. So either way, submitting now, or waiting until the letter is uploaded, wont make a big difference.

On a side note, all my letters were available on exactly the 5th business day, so your letter will probably be ready to assign on Monday is my guess. Good luck.

I'm in a similar boat. I have 3/4 LORs uploaded but the one not uploaded is from an attending in my desired specialty. It should be uploaded by 7/20 and then the ~5 buisness day wait but I hope it doesn't impact my application too significantly.