Late graduation impact residency-em

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ascg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be looking at a late graduation ie June 30, anyone know if this would compromise matching in most EM residency programs, looking at ny,nj tristate area.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

probably not. I may be mistaken but nearly all residencies start July 1. Mine had a fair amount of stuff to do before July 1, clerical stuff, take photos, meet staff etc. So you may need to move/be available before June 30. You could also skip your graduation. As long as you are a graduate by July 1 I doubt there would be a problem.

Most places start orientation (which is when you are actually starting your job and paid on salary) around the middle of June.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most places start orientation (which is when you are actually starting your job and paid on salary) around the middle of June.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I might still be finishing my last rotation towards end of june.. will programs not accept you if you still have rotations towards end of june?
Thanks

I may be looking at a late graduation ie June 30, anyone know if this would compromise matching in most EM residency programs, looking at ny,nj tristate area.
Thanks!

I think most PDs can work with that, especially if you can knock out ATLS, ACLS, PALS etc at your med school and do the move out/in stuff before you actually finish med school.