Late application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jodanledres

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take my MCAT in June so I could get it back mid July and apply then; however, I don't feel like I'll be ready to take it then so I'm planning on delaying it to late July. A brief rundown of my stats:

Cell and molecular biology with minor in chemistry at a non prestigious state university. (California state university, east bay)

cGPA: 3.73

sGPA: 3.82

Strong upward trend. 3.94 over the last 2 years.

Research: 1 year at a biochemistry lab. No papers.

Medical experience:
EMT - about 2000 or so hours doing basic life support and critical care transport
Navy Corpsman/medic, almost 3 years reserves now for a marine reconnaissance unit. Also did 1 year of active duty for training.

Volunteer and shadowing aren't worth mentioning but I could get those numbers up from the time I take my MCAT to the time I actually apply.

Strong recommendation letters

Not sure how what role it would play in my application but I recently moved here from the Philippines 4-5 years ago. Maybe plus points for diversity/unique experiences?

My application wouldn't be the most competitive out there but it certainly isn't the worst. Would it be worth applying this cycle and having my application complete on September? Financially speaking, I wouldn't mind spending a bit for my first application just to familiarize myself with the entire process as well as a chance at starting next year. If it's worth applying this cycle, do you guys have any tips on how I could maximize my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to take my MCAT in June so I could get it back mid July and apply then; however, I don't feel like I'll be ready to take it then so I'm planning on delaying it to late July. A brief rundown of my stats:

Cell and molecular biology with minor in chemistry at a non prestigious state university. (California state university, east bay)

cGPA: 3.73

sGPA: 3.82

Research: 1 year at a biochemistry lab. No papers.

Medical experience:
EMT - about 2000 or so hours doing basic life support and critical care transport
Navy Corpsman/medic, almost 3 years reserves now for a marine reconnaissance unit. Also did 1 year of active duty for training.

Volunteer and shadowing aren't worth mentioning but I could get those numbers up from the time I take my MCAT to the time I actually apply.

Strong recommendation letters

Not sure how what role it would play in my application but I recently moved here from the Philippines 4-5 years ago. Maybe plus points for diversity/unique experiences?

My application wouldn't be the most competitive out there but it certainly isn't the worst. Would it be worth applying this cycle and having my application complete on September? Financially speaking, I wouldn't mind spending a bit for my first application just to familiarize myself with the entire process as well as a chance at starting next year. If it's worth applying this cycle, do you guys have any tips on how I could maximize my chances?

pre-write secondaries... submit to a single throwaway school to get verified. You will have your application submitted around labor day if you pre-write those secondaries, which is on the later end but with a solid MCAT you will still be okay

Reactions: 1 user
pre-write secondaries... submit to a single throwaway school to get verified. You will have your application submitted around labor day if you pre-write those secondaries, which is on the later end but with a solid MCAT you will still be okay
I'll never forget my throwaway school that I used to get verified: Harvard.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll never forget my throwaway school that I used to get verified: Harvard.

"Shoot for the moon and even if you miss, you'll (hopefully if you're lucky) land among the lower/mid-tiers"

Thanks for the suggestions and the motivation everyone. Also, I'm not sure how good/bad my application really looks. Is it worth applying to top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Considering that my application is late what tier schools would be realistic for me?

Also if I reapply next cycle, what tier schools would I be competitive for? If I reapply the changes in my stats are as follows:

my application would be sent early June.

I'll have 2 years total research plus a possible publication.

An additional year in the reserves.

Possibly more hours volunteering and shadowing

More hours as an EMT

To sum it up:
What tier schools am I competitive for with my current stats as well as a late application?
What tier schools am I competitive for if I applied next year considering an early application as well as slightly better stats?
Also, what suggestions do you guys have for me to improve my chances at getting into a good school should I reapply next year? What are things I can work on from now until my next application?

Sorry I know these are a lot of questions but I found this place to be a bounty of information and wanted to take advantage as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the suggestions and the motivation everyone. Also, I'm not sure how good/bad my application really looks. Is it worth applying to top 10? Top 20? Top 50? Considering that my application is late what tier schools would be realistic for me?

Also if I reapply next cycle, what tier schools would I be competitive for? If I reapply the changes in my stats are as follows:

More hours as an EMT

To sum it up:
What tier schools am I competitive for with my current stats as well as a late application?
What tier schools am I competitive for if I applied next year considering an early application as well as slightly better stats?
Also, what suggestions do you guys have for me to improve my chances at getting into a good school should I reapply next year? What are things I can work on from now until my next application?

Sorry I know these are a lot of questions but I found this place to be a bounty of information and wanted to take advantage as much as I can. Thanks in advance!

Invest in the MSAR bro, do the research. IS schools are better than OOS. The MCAT will make or break your app so study hard

More hours as an EMT

To sum it up:

You don't have a tier until you get an MCAT score.. maybe something like this:

500-no tier
510-low tier
513-515 mid tier
520-all tiers

Edit: the above was not taking into consideration your military experience, which will be a big plus. Just do as well as you can on the MCAT and you'll have plenty of doors open, your app is pretty solid overall

Last edited:
Your ample clinical experience as a Hospital Corpsman + EMT, with research experience and a strong GPA will open many doors for you alone. Plus you're a veteran, people love vets. Just do well on the MCAT and it's easy sailing. Good luck doc.

Edit: Unless you get below 500 - I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get accepted to medical school this cycle. Just FYI. Any of the Adcoms on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
You don't have a tier until you get an MCAT score.. maybe something like this:

500-no tier
510-low tier
513-515 mid tier
520-all tiers

Edit: the above was not taking into consideration your military experience, which will be a big plus. Just do as well as you can on the MCAT and you'll have plenty of doors open, your app is pretty solid overall

Thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for. And thanks everyone for the great information and motivation.

Thank you so much. This was exactly what I was looking for. And thanks everyone for the great information and motivation.

You can probably knock all of those down by 3-5 points given your service to our country

you are better than you think especially as a vet corpsman. I would focus on the MCAT but submit AMCAS earlier with a single throwaway or high reach school solely for verification . That way you can add schools immediately when ur get MCAT back and your app will be transmitted within a day

If it gets transmitted within a day, would that decrease your chances of getting an interview vs. submitting everything in June w/ that same MCAT score, and if so how much will your chances decrease?

wouldn't be surprised if those were the actual numbers too