last 2 CCS minutes, take off lines, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramzax

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that a lot of CCS cases end prematurely, usually before being able to discharge back home. i know we should put in orders for counseling etc, but do we remove lines, O2 if they were indicated at the time prior to the case ending? seems kind of awkward. taking my step 3 tomorrow morning so would appreciate a reply. thx

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you have to look at the real time. If patient had an mi and is in the icu and the case has ended, look at the real time. If the patient has only been in the hospital for less than one day and in the ICU then keep the Iv lines, etc. Basically, you should make changes based on the real time.

Also if patient is stable and is ready for discharge by the time case has ended(let's say it's been a few days already and patient has improved and has been stable), then you can cancel the Iv lines, change albuterol to mdi, etc in preparation for discharge.

Just go by real time and think what you'd do as a physician for a patient that has been in the hospital that particular amount of time and with the condition he or she is in.

You wouldn't want to cancel Iv orders in a patient with a mi who is in the ICU and it's been only a few hours since he or she has been in the hospital.