Larkin school of pharmacy miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They put me on as alternate admission...
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm planning to relinquish my seat anyways. Hopefully it'll help. Don't give up yet. There's people who get out of the wait list and get accepted. There's still time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

I have an interview with Larkin Health Institute on 3/15/2017, however i'm seriously debating whether i should even go... I believe Miami is already super expensive to live as it is, with 44k a year in tuition cost ALONE.. Makes you think.. Although one of the main things that is attracting me about this school is their 3 year program.

So what do you guys think? worth it? especially with the whole accreditation situation..

Will be driving 8 hours from tallahassee by the way. :yawn:

hey everyone,

I have an interview with Larkin Health Institute on 3/15/2017, however i'm seriously debating whether i should even go... I believe Miami is already super expensive to live as it is, with 44k a year in tuition cost ALONE.. Makes you think.. Although one of the main things that is attracting me about this school is their 3 year program.

So what do you guys think? worth it? especially with the whole accreditation situation..

I REALLY don't like being a Debbie Downer about Larkin but.....
Larkin is a brand new school. It's one thing if Larkin was an already established university and the only thing that the school have to worry about is getting ACPE accredited then fine. But it has to worry about that on top of being SACS accredited and have to qualify for federal funding.

In terms of living down here: Yes it's expensive. Larkin has a program that can help students find somewhat affordable housing. But here's the kicker: Loans! You most likely going to pull out Sallie Mae loans. And on top of the tuition ($44k - $47k) you would have to pull out extra private loans for living expenses which, according to Larkin, will add up to $77k. (that's if you take out the full amount). But if you have friends/family down here then you just have to worry about paying for the tuition.

In my eyes, at the moment, the risks outweighs the benefits. I'm not saying that the program is bad; the program has the potential to grow into something good. And besides, who doesn't want a 3 year pharmacy program?
I feel that Larkin need to get themselves together first though...but at the end of the day, to each their own

I REALLY don't like being a Debbie Downer about Larkin but.....
Larkin is a brand new school. It's one thing if Larkin was an already established university and the only thing that the school have to worry about is getting ACPE accredited then fine. But it has to worry about that on top of being SACS accredited and have to qualify for federal funding.

In terms of living down here: Yes it's expensive. Larkin has a program that can help students find somewhat affordable housing. But here's the kicker: Loans! You most likely going to pull out Sallie Mae loans. And on top of the tuition ($44k - $47k) you would have to pull out extra private loans for living expenses which, according to Larkin, will add up to $77k. (that's if you take out the full amount). But if you have friends/family down here then you just have to worry about paying for the tuition.

In my eyes, at the moment, the risks outweighs the benefits. I'm not saying that the program is bad; the program has the potential to grow into something good. And besides, who doesn't want a 3 year pharmacy program?
I feel that Larkin need to get themselves together first though...but at the end of the day, to each their own

i couldn't agree with you more! You pretty much just spoke to my conscience.. these are all things i have thought about.. But in retrospect, idk why I even picked Larkin to apply to. I honestly think the school has a LONG way to go.. The disadvantages of going here are plentiful.. I think I'll just passs up on it lol

i couldn't agree with you more! You pretty much just spoke to my conscience.. these are all things i have thought about.. But in retrospect, idk why I even picked Larkin to apply to. I honestly think the school has a LONG way to go.. The disadvantages of going here are plentiful.. I think I'll just passs up on it lol
lol! Honestly, I was a little hesitant about posting this because I didn't want to discourage anyone who was strongly considering going to Larkin. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
lol! Honestly, I was a little hesitant about posting this because I didn't want to discourage anyone who was strongly considering going to Larkin. :oops:

it's not discouragement at all! The school has great potential... It's just not the right fit for me financially, and i don't think I'll be getting the peace of mind i would get at a more seasoned pharmacy school. Feel me? lol

it's not discouragement at all! The school has great potential... It's just not the right fit for me financially, and i don't think I'll be getting the peace of mind i would get at a more seasoned pharmacy school. Feel me? lol
Lol! Oh good! I thought I was the only one that thinks like that.
Phew! You just put me at ease. Thanks! :D

Reactions: 1 users
hey everyone,

I declined my invite Bc Larkin does not have federal aid ( I have to take out private loans) I do not want to do that. Also accreditation.

Hi guys, I have an interview on April 24th! Anyone else?

I also have a question. I accepted the interview invite. I was taken to a form to fill out, but I didn't get an email confirming my interview date acceptance.

I also have a question. I accepted the interview invite. I was taken to a form to fill out, but I didn't get an email confirming my interview date acceptance.
I don't remember filling out a form prior to interview. You could always email the to make sure.

You don't receive anything after you fill out a form. I didn't receive anything when I filled it out.

i have an interview on 3/1
my stats are around the same as you guys.
i'm also waiting for FAMU and currently have 7 other interviews coming up

How was the interview? What kind of questions did they ask? Any tips?

Why on earth would you guys want to go to this overpriced, diploma mill pharmacy school? Seriously, it could close down anytime and you'd be screwed out of whatever tuition you paid! Plus, if you guys don't go to this school, then Larkin would be closed down, freeing more jobs and making the job market slightly better! USE COMMON SENSE AND STOP THESE GREEDY PHARMACY SCHOOLS!

Hi, I have an interview on April 24th as well. Any tips on what to expect??

expect a bunch of money hungry deans trying to convince you to go to their garbage, diploma mill school

seriously, for your sake and pharmacy's sake please try to go to a reputable, established school so we can get these diploma mills to shut down

seriously, for your sake and pharmacy's sake please try to go to a reputable, established school so we can get these diploma mills to shut down

I realize it is uncommon for a Dean of a College of Pharmacy to respond to this list, but when I see inaccurate statements that may effect someone's decision to join our amazing community, I feel I must. We are not a diploma mill. If we were, or any COP for that matter, ACPE would not grant pre-candidate status. The definition of a diploma mill is:

DIPLOMA MILL- The term `diploma mill' means an entity that--
(A)(i) offers, for a fee, degrees, diplomas, or certificates, that may be used to represent to the general public that the individual possessing such a degree, diploma, or certificate has completed a program of postsecondary education or training; and (ii) requires such individual to complete little or no education or coursework to obtain such degree, diploma, or certificate; and
(B) lacks accreditation by an accrediting agency or association that is recognized as an accrediting agency or association of institutions of higher education (as such term is defined in section 102) by--
(i) the Secretary pursuant to subpart 2 of part H of title IV; or (ii) a Federal agency, State government, or other organization or association that recognizes accrediting agencies or associations.

The dictionary defines a diploma mill as:

An institution of higher education operating without supervision of a state or professional agency and granting diplomas which are either fraudulent or because of the lack of proper standards worthless. - Webster's Third New International Dictionary

You can find lists of diploma mills at Diploma Mills and Accreditation - Diploma Mills

Additionally, it is not true that ACPE would shut down any program for not achieving Candidate Status the first time. As a matter of fact, a college can be continued as Pre-Candidate. Regardless, we recently had our Candidate comprehensive site visit from ACPE which was also observed by a member of the Florida Board of Pharmacy. There are 25 Standards that we were graded on. We achieved "Competency" or "Competency with Continued Monitoring" all 25 Standards. Those are the two of four grades that are positive. Meaning we did not receive any negative findings ("Partially Compliant" or "Non Complaint") on any of the 25 Standards. This is an excellent outcome. Therefore, when the ACPE Board meets in late June, we fully expect to be granted Candidate status, however, we can not know for sure until the Board meets.

I hope that if any one feels that they are being fed misinformation, or even of they just want further clarification, that they would either contact us at [email protected] or even comment directly to me, the Dean. We also welcome visits at any time. Our students will tell you that we are a thriving and growing university that places the interest of the students first.

Terrible,

OVERALL 2.8 (science is around that all throghout)
PERCENTILE COMPOSITE PCAT is 49
I do have pharm tech experience and I genuinly want to become to a pharmacist to help others heal (I have a really great comeback story) :D

I got accepted into PBA and interviewing at USF 3/09 but I live in Miami so i considered giving LARKIN A TRY and see what they are about. Mainly I am iterested in hearing from the students themselves.

Waiting to hear back from FAMU. UF (this would be a drean come true), LECOM and NOVA

How about you?

FAMU and UF interns have great reps, and from what I understand, FAMU and NOVA's accreditation is currently in jeopardy (which seems to happen every few years apparently based on passing scores ). The accelerated program in Miami is attractive but ultimately it's whether you think you would study better alone and away from family (diff for everyone) or near your support system, which is why a lot of people stay local to where they're originally from.