Larkin school of pharmacy miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notaquitter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get accepted into this school yet or no

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview 3/01. Did you get an interview??

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview 3/01. Did you get an interview??

Nah it seems like they give interview every Wednesday. I just sent in my application Monday. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Terrible,

OVERALL 2.8 (science is around that all throghout)
PERCENTILE COMPOSITE PCAT is 49
I do have pharm tech experience and I genuinly want to become to a pharmacist to help others heal (I have a really great comeback story) :D

I got accepted into PBA and interviewing at USF 3/09 but I live in Miami so i considered giving LARKIN A TRY and see what they are about. Mainly I am iterested in hearing from the students themselves.

Waiting to hear back from FAMU. UF (this would be a drean come true), LECOM and NOVA

How about you?

Terrible,

OVERALL 2.8 (science is around that all throghout)
PERCENTILE COMPOSITE PCAT is 49
I do have pharm tech experience and I genuinly want to become to a pharmacist to help others heal (I have a really great comeback story) :D

I got accepted into PBA and interviewing at USF 3/09 but I live in Miami so i considered giving LARKIN A TRY and see what they are about. Mainly I am iterested in hearing from the students themselves.

Waiting to hear back from FAMU. UF (this would be a drean come true), LECOM and NOVA

How about you?
Well mine is around that.... 2.7 53 composite

You have a great chance.
Plus you're not a quitter.

MAri

I was looking into their accreditation status, keep in mind they are not fully accredited

they hold a precandidate status which means theyve submitted all their paper work, they have a dean and they are being considered. This is kind of scary, the next step is becoming the "canditate" status but you need students. I wonder why they are not candidate status yet since they enrolled students last year. I have a lot of questions.

they hold a precandidate status which means theyve submitted all their paper work, they have a dean and they are being considered. This is kind of scary, the next step is becoming the "canditate" status but you need students. I wonder why they are not candidate status yet since they enrolled students last year. I have a lot of questions.
Apparently, the Dean said that they would get another inspection around April. If they pass the school would be in Candidate status. I just wish they hurry up with their SACS accreditation so they can finally qualify for federal aid. I guess the good thing out of this is that they're officially changing their name to 'Larkin University'. Lol

i have an interview on 3/1
my stats are around the same as you guys.
i'm also waiting for FAMU and currently have 7 other interviews coming up

Yea i want to go. It's a walk and a skip away from my house. I can ride my bike there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys trying to go this school if you are accepted?

not really, the accreditation raises issues for me. but I will go to the interview and see what they are about before i make a decision

not really, the accreditation raises issues for me. but I will go to the interview and see what they are about before i make a decision

From my understanding if they don't become accredited you'll can only be a pharmacist in Florida.....

Apparently, the Dean said that they would get another inspection around April. If they pass the school would be in Candidate status. I just wish they hurry up with their SACS accreditation so they can finally qualify for federal aid. I guess the good thing out of this is that they're officially changing their name to 'Larkin University'. Lol

how long did they say it takes to get SACS accreditation?

So I just got a call this morning from the admissions office saying that I got accepted to Larkin! :soexcited:

congrats!! question, if they don't have federal aid does that mean u have to take out private loans?

congrats!! question, if they don't have federal aid does that mean u have to take out private loans?
Sadly yes. They really push Sallie Mae loans on you. Apparently, you have to see the financial aid advisor as soon as you get accepted because you need credit to qualify for Sallie Mae loans.

Congrats!!!!! Did you get to talk to students all ready in the program during the interview?

Mari
Yeah. Just a couple cause the rest of the students were on rotations. They were friendly. We just asked about the rotations, the classes they were taking, and the intern license. They also evaluate you during the team building activity.

Man I got an interview next Wednesday I hope to see you guys there. I'm gonna do my best!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!!!! Did you get to talk to students all ready in the program during the interview?

Mari
I have an interview next Wednesday with you hopefully i recognize you and its not weird lol

Man I got an interview next Wednesday I hope to see you guys there. I'm gonna do my best!
Awesome! And you were worried. I told you you'll be fine! I'm sure you'll do great with the interview. it's really chill. congratulations & good luck ;) :highfive:

i have an interview next wednesday too! however I think i am going to change my date..i also have one friday and saturday smh. let me know how goes

Awesome! And you were worried. I told you you'll be fine! I'm sure you'll do great with the interview. it's really chill. congratulations & good luck ;) :highfive:

how was the MMI process? was the interviewer engaged or were u just talking by yourself

I have an interview next Wednesday with you hopefully i recognize you and its not weird lol
Not weird at all!!
It would be nice to put a face to your nickname, notaquitter. I like it ! :)

i have an interview next wednesday too! however I think i am going to change my date..i also have one friday and saturday smh. let me know how goes
Don tpush it back!!! So I can mee you, lol

Honestly , I've written so many essays, interviews and responses that I pretty much feel very comfortable answering any question. The only thing that works against me is my nerves and my very emotinally driven responses (but I am working on it). I found this thread online and it has helped me a lot. I all ready interviewed once at PBA and got in ! ;)

And by the way, larkin called me on the phone (the assistant dean) and grilled me so I kind of know what they may ask me personally.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/famu-pharmacy-class-of-2020.1186273/#post-17479594

Honestly , I've written so many essays, interviews and responses that I pretty much feel very comfortable answering any question. The only thing that works against me is my nerves and my very emotinally driven responses (but I am working on it). I found this thread online and it has helped me a lot. I all ready interviewed once at PBA and got in ! ;)

And by the way, larkin called me on the phone (the assistant dean) and grilled me so I kind of know what they may ask me personally.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/famu-pharmacy-class-of-2020.1186273/#post-17479594

thank you! i know just MMI interview is different that regular..it focuses more on ethics. and u have to give a response for like 5-8 minutes. idk how to prep for it

my advice will be to speak very slowly, and really put a lot thought on what you're going to say, take your time (after all you got time to kill 5-8 mi on answer,lol). practice those questiomns i sent you with a friend. try to always intertwine everything as to why you will suceed in their program and as a pharmacist.

how was the MMI process? was the interviewer engaged or were u just talking by yourself
The interview was very chill overall.

A little bit of both. Most of the faculty was engaging but 1 or 2 of them just let you talk. If you're response was too short they'll start asking more out of you. Lol

The interview was very chill overall.

A little bit of both. Most of the faculty was engaging but 1 or 2 of them just let you talk. If you're response was too short they'll start asking more out of you. Lol

okay lollll. hopefully they are topics that i can speak a lot about LOL

Is Larkin a good school? For those of you who had interviews what did you think? What if they do not get Candidate status? How does that affect the students already enrolled?

In my opinion, interviewing with Larkin was a bit awkward but pretty fulfilling/informative none-the-less. The students were not there, as all of them were on rotation. Hence, it was a little hard to get a feel for how the school enviroment is. There was also a lot of construction and it is not in the nicest part of town. However, I was sold on the curriculum, as I think it is way more easy for my brain to process just one class at a time (two weeks time) and the fact that we get to do rotations as soon as January wherever. What sold me the most was the 3 year program time line, and the third year you're pretty much out on the field. So it's only a 2 year in classroom time frame. I am more of a hands on, put me to work person so this works perfectly for me.
Also they are willing to help you with rotation placement, being that a lot of my family is in texas and gainesville I think I will take advantage of this. Honestly, I was really worried about the whole pre-candiate status thing but i was put at ease by the staff and the two studnets. Going to pre-candiate status supoosedly is the biggest hurdle and of course the biggest investment. They assured us that they would move into candidate status in april, no problem. Being officially accredited will require more time as the first class has to graduate. All I can tell you is, one they have a lot of money, two a lot of money has all ready been invesred and i dont forsee them not getting accredited. Also the dean has made a business in founding schools (he's all ready founded three), so he knows what he's doing.
Also, ultimately what matters is your ability to sit and take the board, their candiate status wont affect that. If you pass the boards, you will have your Pharm. D.
Another off putting thing though is the sallie mae loans according to your credit score (mines isnt the best) but I was all ready prepared for this huge cost. However, you can not put a price on time and on convenience as my parents live in Miami.

Is Larkin a good school? For those of you who had interviews what did you think? What if they do not get Candidate status? How does that affect the students already enrolled?
Larkin sent their staff to my hospital in 2015 looking for rotation sites. They seemed like nice enough people, but all I could think is why do we need another school down here? Even if they get approval, I would rather go to an established school considering the quality of education that these newer places are providing. Look at the 2016 NAPLEX results threads if you are curious.

Did anyone get an acceptance letter?

Last edited: