Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catsomgcats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering optometry school next year. What kind of laptop do you recommend? Or any specific software that you think we will need? I need to buy a new laptop for September anyway since my current one is dying.

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering the same thing. My mac is about to bite the dust...
Im guessing just something minimal to run assignments, work, etc. Doubt they'll make us install any programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

It may depend on where you go to school, but I just bought an iPad and a keyboard for it and that has been enough for me. I just download the lecture slides and take notes directly on them using Notability. Notability is another app that will allow you to draw/write directly on the slides but still be able to add your own typed notes. I like it.

In my class, it's a mixture of iPads and laptops, with a few people still printing out notes. Most of my classmates with laptops have Macs, but I think that's just due to personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I love the Surface products. You can decide which model you want depending on the size of your budget.
It's really great for drawing diagrams for notes in optometry school.

I have an HP Spectre x360 and love it! (Current student here)

I'm kicking myself for getting a Macbook Pro because a touch screen laptop would be so much better. Many students in my class at SCO use a Surface Pro and if I could do it again, I'd get one of those. Being able to keep all notes digital is more valuable than I realized, and it's especially helpful in anatomy classes because you can use a stylus to draw/outline/mark certain things in powerpoint notes. OneNote is a very popular program to use to take notes in, and I'd highly recommend it for future students. I jumped on the OneNote train pretty late, and I wish I had used it sooner!