MD Laptop or desktop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gamer

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a 13 inch Mbp from 2013. However, the size of the screen is too small...should I buy an iMac or 15 inch MBP?

I plan on rarely going to lectures,and I will do most of my studying by myself at home..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

why.jpg

You can get a cheap HDMI tv or a monitor and hook it up to your laptop. That's my plan anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That makes it cumbersome to use without an external keyboard and mouse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then get those too. You can get both for less than $60. It's peanuts compared to the 1000+ you'd spend on a new mbp.

neither. Apple products are nothing more than over-priced, planned-obsolescence glamor toys.

I'd just get a large laptop; preferably ASUS or Lenovo brand.

I feel like you may be asking us to justify your desire to buy a rig... as your name is dr. Gamer lol.

If you already have a MBP and plan on gaming a lot during medschool than go ahead and get your desktop. FTR, I had a 13" throughout all of med school. Did not ever feel like the screen was too small.

do most people just have a laptop or a laptop + some other thing (ipad, desktop, etc)? is it just a personal preference or do different platforms allow for different kinds of studying?

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that your name is Dr Gamer but you are talking about buying Macs really confuses me...

I brought both of them with me to school just because I happened to have both, but if I didn't have a desktop pc, it would have been just fine to use a docking station set-up with the laptop.

I used an 11'' macbook air with an external monitor, keybord and trackpad throughout undergrad. I have to upgrade the 11'' because i'll use the computer for tests, and the tech specs for my school asks for 13'' or higher. Also, don't want to go blind taking tests on it, haha. Otherwise, my macbook would have continued to work just fine, i'm sure. Never had a problem with macs. Every single PC iv'e gotten before died for no appartent reason past year 2 or 3 of having it. Never going back. Plus, don't really like the windows interface.

Dude, you seem to express a lot of strong opinions about fairly benign things on sdn. MacBook Pros are frequently used laptops by med students, and one can last all throughout school without becoming obsolete.

But for OP, I think getting a large monitor and mouse/keyboard are all you need for school rather than buying an iMac or any other desktop. Especially if you're doing research and stuff, it's nice to have the laptop so you can do your work away from home if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You pay a premium for the apple brand, but otherwise it's the same intel processor you'd find in any windows computer. I don't know why a heavy-in-debt med student would want to waste more money.