Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but it give us hope lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I have paid my deposit and accepted the loans on the portal, can I still withdraw my acceptance without owing tuition and get loans at another school?

If I have paid my deposit and accepted the loans on the portal, can I still withdraw my acceptance without owing tuition and get loans at another school?

I know you'd lose your deposit for sure. The rest you'd have to contact LECOM for.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
once you pay money it is gone is the rule of thumb. check before paying.

I may not have be clear. I know I lose the deposit - its the tuition and loans I am worried about.
No just call them. Unless the dispersed the loans, you dont owe them anything

I called LECOM-Erie a few days ago and they said that they haven't started looking at the waitlist because they're still sending acceptances to the last batch of interviewees and waiting for their replies.

That's not true I got off the waitlist last week and I know a few others who have.

Does anybody know how much financial aid LECOM awards you with? At the interview they said the max is 40,500 per 9 months but that's not nearly enough to live off... tuition 33k books 2k new comp 1k housing 6-10k plus food, gas, books, car payment, miscellaneous, etc. Are thee other loans to get or no? Would love to hear what a current LECOM student has to say.

Does anybody know how much financial aid LECOM awards you with? At the interview they said the max is 40,500 per 9 months but that's not nearly enough to live off... tuition 33k books 2k new comp 1k housing 6-10k plus food, gas, books, car payment, miscellaneous, etc. Are thee other loans to get or no? Would love to hear what a current LECOM student has to say.

Grad Plus loans make up the difference between tuition/ancillaries and COA.

You can borrow up to the total cost of attendance. For first years this year, it looks like it's $61,602. Assuming you're going the federal loans route, you'll borrow part through the regular unsubsidized loan and the remainder through the GradPLUS loan.

Information on cost of attendance is here. Your actual costs may actually vary of course depending on your needs for housing, food, travel expenses, etc. If you don't need LECOM's health insurance because you're covered by a parent or a spouse, you can still borrow the full COA and your loan check is a bit bigger.

Budgeting-wise, remember that first and second year cost of attendance cover nine months worth of living/etc and if you aren't someone who goes home in the summer to free housing, you'll have to make that stretch a bit longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can borrow up to the total cost of attendance. For first years this year, it looks like it's $61,602. Assuming you're going the federal loans route, you'll borrow part through the regular unsubsidized loan and the remainder through the GradPLUS loan.

Information on cost of attendance is here. Your actual costs may actually vary of course depending on your needs for housing, food, travel expenses, etc. If you don't need LECOM's health insurance because you're covered by a parent or a spouse, you can still borrow the full COA and your loan check is a bit bigger.

Budgeting-wise, remember that first and second year cost of attendance cover nine months worth of living/etc and if you aren't someone who goes home in the summer to free housing, you'll have to make that stretch a bit longer.

Thank you for all the info! Is the grad plus loan a separate loan application? I was also wondering about the medical supplies required? Is there a LECOM store you purchase it from? I didn't receive any info on what supplies is required.

Thank you for all the info! Is the grad plus loan a separate loan application? I was also wondering about the medical supplies required? Is there a LECOM store you purchase it from? I didn't receive any info on what supplies is required.

You initially fill out FAFSA and then LECOM will give you instructions on applying to specific loans.

Don't buy any equipment yet. You'll get all the info once you start, plus you'll get a free stethoscope at your white coat ceremony. I'm a fourth year so I don't have up-to-date information on what exactly you need and when you need it, but I will promise you won't need any of it until after loan money comes in.

You initially fill out FAFSA and then LECOM will give you instructions on applying to specific loans.

Don't buy any equipment yet. You'll get all the info once you start, plus you'll get a free stethoscope at your white coat ceremony. I'm a fourth year so I don't have up-to-date information on what exactly you need and when you need it, but I will promise you won't need any of it until after loan money comes in.

The registration packet they just sent said everything we have to buy. They are having a Welch Allyn presentation with student prices.

Last year refund checks were distributed on August 8th and orders for Welch Allyn equipment were not due until August 26th.

Did you happen to receive a top alternate email from Erie? And do you know if there has been alot of waitlist movement or if it just isnt going to move anymore?

Yea top alternate followed by strong chance of acceptance the week after. I'd guess by the end of this week the majority of movement would have already happened. But a few people here and there will be accepted up to the first day of classes.

Yea top alternate followed by strong chance of acceptance the week after. I'd guess by the end of this week the majority of movement would have already happened. But a few people here and there will be accepted up to the first day of classes.

Did you receive an email stating you had a strong chance of acceptance? Oh okay I guess that makes sense. Congrats on your acceptance!

Remember to be skeptical since this is the internet. As someone who interviewed at SH, these are things I'm skeptical about:
* Individual interviews at Erie campus. We didn't get this option, so there is no logical reason they would either.
* Top alternate letters. I don't know of anyone at SH who got this letter.
* There has been waitlist movement. I don't know of anyone who got pulled for SH, but several who have only recently gotten the "continued interest" email.
Just food for thought. I guess calling LECOM would be the best way to know where they're at. Personally, I'd rather just be patient and not jinx anything.

Remember to be skeptical since this is the internet. As someone who interviewed at SH, these are things I'm skeptical about:
* Individual interviews at Erie campus. We didn't get this option, so there is no logical reason they would either.
* There has been waitlist movement. I don't know of anyone who got pulled for SH, but several who have only recently gotten the "continued interest" email.
Just food for thought. I guess calling LECOM would be the best way to know where they're at. Personally, I'd rather just be patient and not jinx anything.

I was accepted to the Erie campus in March after I interviewed. I had a group interview and an individual interview.

I was pulled off the waitlist at SH last week. I interviewed at Erie. I had to turn it down, so someone else should be pulled soon.

The registration packet they just sent said everything we have to buy. They are having a Welch Allyn presentation with student prices.

There was a registration packet? Did you receive it recently? I'm worried mine may have gotten lost... I'm in the middle of a move and we have mail forwarding, but who knows.

There has been a decent amount of recent adds to the Facebook group for Seton Hill so the waitlist has been moving

There was a registration packet? Did you receive it recently? I'm worried mine may have gotten lost... I'm in the middle of a move and we have mail forwarding, but who knows.

Yes for the Erie campus. It was through email.

Sorry if this was posted earlier, but does anyone know the best way to withdraw your application for LECOM? I was looking to see if there was a way on the portal but couldn't find anything. Best to email/call?

Sorry if this was posted earlier, but does anyone know the best way to withdraw your application for LECOM? I was looking to see if there was a way on the portal but couldn't find anything. Best to email/call?

Calling is the fastest. You can also email. Call Amy Rowe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason you're withdrawing?

App still under review at Erie. How late do they do interviews till?

App still under review at Erie. How late do they do interviews till?

Not really sure but I know the latest was late may this cycle....although LECOM does silent rejections aka keep your status as "file under review" indefinitely until the next cycle takes over and won't really give a rejection

Not really sure but I know the latest was late may this cycle....although LECOM does silent rejections aka keep your status as "file under review" indefinitely until the next cycle takes over and won't really give a rejection

That's so cruel. What a horrible relationship to have with a school.

That's so cruel. What a horrible relationship to have with a school.

Yeah for real though. Med school processes seem so secretive nowadays :/

Any reason you're withdrawing?

I was just accepted off of the waitlist at my first choice! So I wanted to give up my spot asap in the hopes that someone else could have it sooner rather than later

Reactions: 3 users
I was just accepted off of the waitlist at my first choice! So I wanted to give up my spot asap in the hopes that someone else could have it sooner rather than later

Congrats on making the first choice school!! And thanks, very considerate of you!

Thanks so much :) Of course, good luck to you!

Yup! Also I can't remember if you mentioned or not, but what campus were you waitlisted/accepted at?

Yeah :(. I'm already ready for the next cycle. Third times the charm. Though I really did fall in love with LECOM when I interviewed. I was expecting to dislike it based on the hate it gets but I felt at home there oddly enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah :(. I'm already ready for the next cycle. Third times the charm. Though I really did fall in love with LECOM when I interviewed. I was expecting to dislike it based on the hate it gets but I felt at home there oddly enough.

Yeah same! I loved Seton Hill even though it was a very small town and on an undergrad campus! Definitely a place I see myself at

Yeah same! I loved Seton Hill even though it was a very small town and on an undergrad campus! Definitely a place I see myself at

Well, I wish you luck! On reddit, everyone I wished luck to has gotten off the waitlist so hopefully I still have some good juju left! Let us know if you hear anything!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I wish you luck! On reddit, everyone I wished luck to has gotten off the waitlist so hopefully I still have some good juju left! Let us know if you hear anything!

I will more than gladly take that luck then!!! And yes definitely will let you all know what's going on! Honestly SDN has made the waitlist process so much more bearable knowing that there are people in the same situation and there are people that are getting off of it!

Can I get summa dat luck? Waiting on LECOM and AZCOM

Reactions: 1 users