Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on Friday and the area seemed nice. I didn't even notice the fence.

Edit: I mean, if a barbed wire fence is making the new, I think that tells you how "bad" an area is.

Great point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they say anything about open seats or waitlist movement at your interview ?
Yes Actually! I think they said they still had a few open spots, but waitlist movement varies year to year (One year it was 20, another 130) and its based on when people let the school know they aren't coming. They encourage letters of interest/intent since it lets them know who's interested. Someone said, "Even a quick email would suffice. Letting them know you're interested and are able to attend" The waitlist isn't ranked.

They accept up to the first week of classes. Just be patient! The waitlist struggle is real! Also, if anyone isn't planning on attending, please notify the school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Actually! I think they said they still had a few open spots, but waitlist movement varies year to year (One year it was 20, another 130) and its based on when people let the school know they aren't coming. They encourage letters of interest/intent since it lets them know who's interested. Someone said, "Even a quick email would suffice. Letting them know you're interested and are able to attend" The waitlist isn't ranked.

They accept up to the first week of classes. Just be patient! The waitlist struggle is real! Also, if anyone isn't planning on attending, please notify the school!

Wow let's hope it's more towards the 130 side! Anybody have a clue on how many people could be on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So the admissions committee should have met today. Hopefully, some people hear some good news this upcoming weeks!

I will be declining my seat here soon once I actually let it sink in that I got accepted elsewhere! Good luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Giving Up my acceptance I hope someone here gets it!! Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Any APAP student / grad, or PA-C in another path, on here and open to some questions from an accepted applicant of similar background? Please PM me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who sent an update letter or letter of intent, who did you send it to? Thanks!

Does anyone know where students usually live at? I know there are apartments across the street but is it common for LECOM students to live there? I'd much rather walk to class and not have to drive but I also want to live somewhere that doesn't cost a ton.

Does anyone know where students usually live at? I know there are apartments across the street but is it common for LECOM students to live there? I'd much rather walk to class and not have to drive but I also want to live somewhere that doesn't cost a ton.

The apartments nearby are here Pastore Communities - Pastore Builders

Erie, in general, isn't crazy expensive and you should be able to find a decent place for relatively cheap.

At my interview, someone said they had a list of apartments students traditionally rent and with prices and specs. I'd email and ask.

This was listed in the portal under "roommate Forum"
"For incoming students at LECOM Erie, in addition to the Housing guide sent in your matriculation packet, a folder of individual rentals in Erie is available at the Reception Desk. If in Erie, stop by and ask to view the folder. If out of town, call 814-866-6641 and someone can review the folder with you over the phone. "

Has anyone heard back from a 3/31 interview? Its been over a month and a half so I'm getting kinda nervous at this point.

Has anyone heard back from a 3/31 interview? Its been over a month and a half so I'm getting kinda nervous at this point.
I interviewed on 3/16 and only just got a portal update yesterday so you should get one soon!

I interviewed 3/31, got a portal update about a decision about 2 weeks later. Apparently the decision (waitlist) got lost in the mail because I got an email last week about no-response to the alternate list, but luckily I just emailed them and got it sorted out.

I interviewed 3/31, got a portal update about a decision about 2 weeks later. Apparently the decision (waitlist) got lost in the mail because I got an email last week about no-response to the alternate list, but luckily I just emailed them and got it sorted out.
Does anyone from waiting list accepted so far?

Does anyone from waiting list accepted so far?

I don't think so. I got an email yesterday asking if I would like to be placed on their "top alternates" list. I declined and withdrew my app. Best of luck to everyone else!

Did anyone receive an email asking for a confirmation of continued interest in attending LECOM-SH in the fall as well as if you would accept a spot if giving one? I have already submitted a LOI as well as 2 emails giving updates of what I've been doing since I applied, as well as an email giving them my final grades for undergrad.

I got an email this morning asking me to confirm by next Tuesday May 23rd. I know the admissions committee meets every Wednesday to evaluate more potential acceptances they want to send out!

Anyone with some info would be much appreciated! Currently on the Waitlist (based off snail mail) and on the alternate list (based on portal) for Seton Hill!

I wonder if the "top alternate list" at Erie is different from the regular alternate list. Has anyone received an email to confirm their interest without mentioning top alternate list? I've heard of one who interviewed at SH but nothing at Erie.

I wonder if the "top alternate list" at Erie is different from the regular alternate list. Has anyone received an email to confirm their interest without mentioning top alternate list? I've heard of one who interviewed at SH but nothing at Erie.

Yes I did! I made a post a few messages up about it!

Never heard of "top alternate list". Was 'regular' waitlisted for a apex a month and then accepted shortly therafter

can anyone tell me how many total seats for Erie..freshman year..
Based on the class of 2020 roster from the the first day of our orientation, there were 278 total seats: 191 LDP, 32 DSP, 43 PBL, 12 PCSP. Please keep in mind that these are day 1 numbers and do not reflect any attrition, last minute enrollments, or switching between pathways.

I got the email from Erie to confirm my interest in being on the waitlist as well. Does anyone know if this is a good sign about potentially getting in? Or did they just send these out to everyone today?

For anybody wondering how the waitlist movement works, this was sent to me from LECOM:

"A quick note on our process for selecting applicants off of the waitlist:
· Selection off of the waitlist is not based on a number ranking but on a full file re-review—The Admissions Committee will continue to re-review waitlisted student files to select the candidates they think will be the best fit
· Applicants will be selected based on qualifications, not pathway preference (though we do our best to put you in your top ranked pathway)
· Applicants can be accepted off of the waitlist up until the start of the semester, which begins July 24th
· We will notify you of an acceptance offer by mailing an updated decision letter (please make sure we have the correct address listed for you—you can update this on the portal at www.portal.lecom.edu)
· As the start of the semester approaches we may begin to email and call applicants to give advance notice of an offer—this will help speed up the process of getting you in the entering class
· As helpful as it would be to be able to predict when, and how many seats we will have open up, we unfortunately are not able to. We will do our best to get in touch with you as soon as we know the Admissions Committee is offering you a seat but until then we will not have any updates on your status—please be patient!"

Best of luck everybody.

Reactions: 2 users
For anybody wondering how the waitlist movement works, this was sent to me from LECOM:

"A quick note on our process for selecting applicants off of the waitlist:
· Selection off of the waitlist is not based on a number ranking but on a full file re-review—The Admissions Committee will continue to re-review waitlisted student files to select the candidates they think will be the best fit
· Applicants will be selected based on qualifications, not pathway preference (though we do our best to put you in your top ranked pathway)
· Applicants can be accepted off of the waitlist up until the start of the semester, which begins July 24th
· We will notify you of an acceptance offer by mailing an updated decision letter (please make sure we have the correct address listed for you—you can update this on the portal at www.portal.lecom.edu)
· As the start of the semester approaches we may begin to email and call applicants to give advance notice of an offer—this will help speed up the process of getting you in the entering class
· As helpful as it would be to be able to predict when, and how many seats we will have open up, we unfortunately are not able to. We will do our best to get in touch with you as soon as we know the Admissions Committee is offering you a seat but until then we will not have any updates on your status—please be patient!"

Best of luck everybody.

Is this for all 3 campuses or Erie in specific?

Is this for all 3 campuses or Erie in specific?

Consider it to apply to all. LECOM has 3 campuses, but essentially 1 administration setting policy, so this will apply across the board.

Hey, folks who have been accepted: Have you all made a facebook group yet? (I talked to the school social media people about starting one for you a few months ago, but didn't follow up to see if it had happened.) For the past two years I started the groups for the Erie classes, but I'm an absentee admin (easily distracted, too much going on IRL to keep track of social media on the regular.) So, I'm hoping that someone else did it by now.

Whether you have or not, here is the address for the LECOM Erie unofficial buy/sell/trade/etc. group. A lot of the postings there are going to be people offering to sell books, furniture, etc. that you'd need to already be in town to take advantage of. But folks also post there looking for roommates, advertising apartments, etc. Log into Facebook | Facebook

It may not be terribly useful until you actually get to Erie, but I don't know if I will remember to post this again later on. And people who are looking to move sooner might benefit from seeing it now.

What exactly do we do on registration day? Is it all day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of the waitlist is the top alternate list? My email said being on it means you have a greater chance of being selected for an available seat, but I just didn't know if I should get my hopes up because I wasn't sure how extensive that list was compared to the regular one!

Are these "top percentage of the waitlist" emails from Erie? Sorry, I think this was asked before, but I still didn't understand which campus they are for.

The majority of the movement should be from now through 2nd week of June. Get ready waitlisters!

If we didn't get the "top alternate list" email, then would that imply that our chances are very slim at this point? :unsure: