Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I have an interview coming up very soon, can someone tell me the interview format (I'm sorry if this has been said somewhere before and I didn't see)? Also any tips? This is going to be my first interview of the season. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I have an interview coming up very soon, can someone tell me the interview format (I'm sorry if this has been said somewhere before and I didn't see)? Also any tips? This is going to be my first interview of the season. :)

Group interview at first and then a 1 on 2 optional interview after. The whole thing is pretty relaxed, just be yourself and listen to other people's thoughts

Hey guys, my roommates and I are post-bac students that are going to the Bradenton campus for MS1 so we need to find people to take over our 3/2 house. It is just over a mile from campus and is super spacious with all updated appliances. We would stay if we weren't moving to Florida! If you want to see the house message me on here and the listing is also on Trulia. The house is available starting May 1st.

3612 Pittsburgh Ave For Rent - Erie, PA | Trulia

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for info on the primary care scholars program learning pathway at Erie...
1) are you forced into a primary care residency or could you change your mind and enter into a different specialty?
2) is general surgery considered primary care? 3) do you get a small break for thanksgiving/Christmas?

Hey guys, my roommates and I are post-bac students that are going to the Bradenton campus for MS1 so we need to find people to take over our 3/2 house. It is just over a mile from campus and is super spacious with all updated appliances. We would stay if we weren't moving to Florida! If you want to see the house message me on here and the listing is also on Trulia. The house is available starting May 1st.

3612 Pittsburgh Ave For Rent - Erie, PA | Trulia
My family and I are interested. I have never signed onto SDN before but think I sent you a private message

Looking for info on the primary care scholars program learning pathway at Erie...
1) are you forced into a primary care residency or could you change your mind and enter into a different specialty?
2) is general surgery considered primary care? 3) do you get a small break for thanksgiving/Christmas?
Well since Im on here now I might as well answer.
I believe you sign a contract to go into primary care which includes: Family Practice, Peds, Internal medicine, or OB/GYN. Gen surgery would be considered a specialty

CORRECTION: after reading further, the PCSP does not include OB/GYN or Peds, I was mistaken as the APAP primary care does.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got my II invite (Erie campus) today! Was definitely expecting a silent rejection from this school. Complete in December.

Reactions: 3 users

1) If you were to change your mind, you'd have to pay back the scholarship. You're committing to five years of primary care after completion of residency. (I'm not super familiar with how this works-- so I don't know what the logistics would be in terms of graduation timeline and curriculum if you were to decide this during first or second year vs. during residency applications vs. during residency).

2) No.

3) You get Wednesday-Sunday of for Thanksgiving and about two weeks for Christmas first and second year. During the clinical years, holidays are at the discretion of your clinical site (but you likely get the holiday itself off, at least).

Got my II invite (Erie campus) today! Was definitely expecting a silent rejection from this school. Complete in December.

congratulations!! would you be able to share what dates were available to you for the interview?

congratulations!! would you be able to share what dates were available to you for the interview?

Absolutely! They had March 31, April 7, April 10, and April 21. It might have gone on further, I'm really not sure. They were all on Fridays except for April 10 (which is the week of Good Friday/Easter). But I had more than a few days to pick from!

Absolutely! They had March 31, April 7, April 10, and April 21. It might have gone on further, I'm really not sure. They were all on Fridays except for April 10 (which is the week of Good Friday/Easter). But I had more than a few days to pick from!

Thank you!
I didn't realize they interview all the way up to end of April, so good to know! Thanks, and congrats again!

For those in LDP, does anyone know what the weekly lecture schedule looks like? How many hours per day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they're saying they declined to be put on the waitlist.

Whoops! Yes, sorry, that is what I meant! I declined accepting the spot on the waitlist. Figured why clog up the waitlist given I have other acceptances. Rather let it go to someone who is still waiting :)

Reactions: 4 users
Whoops! Yes, sorry, that is what I meant! I declined accepting the spot on the waitlist. Figured why clog up the waitlist given I have other acceptances. Rather let it go to someone who is still waiting :)
Where you headed instead?

Anyone from 03/17 interview group get the "decision has been made" update on the portal yet? I remember them saying they would update after meeting today...Impatiently waiting given that I applied late and am hoping to avoid reapplying to medical schools next cycle.

Anyone from 03/17 interview group get the "decision has been made" update on the portal yet? I remember them saying they would update after meeting today...Impatiently waiting given that I applied late and am hoping to avoid reapplying to medical schools next cycle.
I interviewed 3/16 at Seton Hill and my portal changed today

How do you think your interview went?
I thought it went fine. I'm not necessarily the best interviewer but the interview was so casual it was actually pleasant. I thought everyone in my group did really well, so I don't know how they decide these things in the end.

1) Say you get invited for an interview at the Erie campus. Can you still get accepted to seton hill?

2) I can't imagine what the PBL exams are based on? Are they based on specific topics like chapters 1-8 in pharmacology book and chap. 1-10 in book x,y,z. Or is it all based on the specific patient cases? Both?

3) do you receive one grade for the entire semester in just PBL? Or are the grades based on individual aspects of PBL. What does the report card look like? I'm just trying to envision how it would all work out since I'm so used to the format of one specific course topic (say biology) receives one grade.

4) about these "learning issues" that are discussed in the group session. Are these assigned learning issues by faculty or do the students identify them? Are the tests based on these? Are these specific learning objectives?

5) how many tests do you take for the "over 70 cases" that are studied. The math isn't adding up for me. They say the cases are studied in sets of 6-8 and the study of each set (6-8) is followed by a written exam. Yet then go on to say that there are 3 written exams each semester. So that would be 18-24 cases. I guess 3 semesters of that?

6) Are patient cases discussed in the ISP pathway during the first 2 years as well?

Anyone from a 2/16 interview get a portal update yet?
I interviewed on 2/17 and a got a portal update yesterday saying a decision has been made. I live on the west coast so this wait is going to feel like forever!

For those in LDP, does anyone know what the weekly lecture schedule looks like? How many hours per day?
So it varies every week, most of the time you will have on average 6 hours of lecture/lab per day, sometimes it is only 4, sometimes 8. I guess the best would be to give an example.
Monday: exam then 4 hours of lecture
Tuesday: 4 hours lecture then 1.5 hour lab in the afternoon
Wednesday: OPP in the morning (hour lecture then 1.5 hour lab) 4 hours of lecture in the afternoon
Thursday: Only a neuroanatomy lab, so only 2 hours
Friday: 4 hours of lecture.

It also varies depending on what you are learning. In anatomy you have a lot of free time because of all the labs, but in core you could easily have 8 hours of lecture 4 days and only 6 hours 1 day.

LECOM requires a Windows laptop for all their students (per their website). Any current students have any idea if I could get away with a Mac? I basically have a brand new Macbook and dont want to have to buy another computer if it is not necessary.

If you have not been invited for an interview, they will do a silent rejection with no notification or portal update.

If you did get an interview, they will send out a letter with the official decision (acceptance, alternate list, rejection, etc.) after you get an update on your portal saying "a decision has been made."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wow, that's kind of horrible. But at some point they will give us an official rejection, right?

LECOM requires a Windows laptop for all their students (per their website). Any current students have any idea if I could get away with a Mac? I basically have a brand new Macbook and dont want to have to buy another computer if it is not necessary.

I'm in the post-bacc program right now and I have a Mac that works just fine. The problem is that the IT department doesn't work on Mac's and the exam software can sometimes act weird. A lot of my friends have Mac's also and none of us have issues.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed recently (last friday, on 3/17). My admission status since then has been the normal "Thanks for interviewing...", but now today it changed to "Your application is under review.".

I read a couple people on here saying that this is a bad sign, meaning a rejection. This would suck as I felt I did very well in the interview and I have a good GPA, okay MCAT score.

Anyone know if this is normal, or if it means rejection?

Just got an II yesterday. Is it the consensus that LECOM pretty much has spots available throughout the entire interview cycle?

Interviewed on 02/24. Noticed a portal change today. "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days"

Hey, I was in the 3/17 interview in Erie and no change on Wednesday for me. Today my admissions status changed to "Your application is under review", like it said before getting the interview. Yours have any change yet?

Anyone else get this "under review" status after interviewing?

Irregularly irregular reminder that trying to interpret Portal timing is like trying to interpret tea leaves and while that fact is frustrating, patience is a virtue.

1) Say you get invited for an interview at the Erie campus. Can you still get accepted to seton hill?

2) I can't imagine what the PBL exams are based on? Are they based on specific topics like chapters 1-8 in pharmacology book and chap. 1-10 in book x,y,z. Or is it all based on the specific patient cases? Both?

3) do you receive one grade for the entire semester in just PBL? Or are the grades based on individual aspects of PBL. What does the report card look like? I'm just trying to envision how it would all work out since I'm so used to the format of one specific course topic (say biology) receives one grade.

4) about these "learning issues" that are discussed in the group session. Are these assigned learning issues by faculty or do the students identify them? Are the tests based on these? Are these specific learning objectives?

5) how many tests do you take for the "over 70 cases" that are studied. The math isn't adding up for me. They say the cases are studied in sets of 6-8 and the study of each set (6-8) is followed by a written exam. Yet then go on to say that there are 3 written exams each semester. So that would be 18-24 cases. I guess 3 semesters of that?

6) Are patient cases discussed in the ISP pathway during the first 2 years as well?

1) I think so, but I don't know how this works.

2/4) After you finish a case, your group assigns chapters/pages for "learning issues" (FLIs-- I think the F stands for final but honestly I forget). So, for a first year case that ended up being diabetes, you might pick the glucose metabolism chapter in biochemistry, the pancreas chapter in physiology, the diabetes chapter in pharmacology and some pathology pages from the endocrine chapter. During first year, there are also some common learning issues (CLIs) that are assigned for all groups. Tests are based on the FLIs and CLIs. There aren't specific learning objectives; you're responsible for the whole chapter.

3) Yep, one semester for the whole semester of PBL. So for example your first semester report card would show grades for PBL, anatomy, embryology, histology, H&P, OPP, and healthcare management I (that's at Seton Hill, might be arranged slightly differently in Erie). The number of credits per class varies a bit between semesters.

5) I never added up how many cases there were total over the two years; I suppose I should. First semester first year starts off slow with PBL so you have two exams-- I think both over 5 cases, with a higher page count per case and total for the second exam. Second semester first year and first semester second year are both three exams, each covering seven cases and 700 pages total. Second semester second year is also three exams, but the case and page count starts to taper a bit so you can study more for boards. I don't know if that adds up to more than 70 or just shy of 70, but I don't know if it matters. It's a lot of reading-- and the reading is what matters really, not the cases.

6) Don't know how DSP works.

Edited: grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You will be perfectly fine with your Mac, I would say the majority of my class has a Mac. The only potential issue you may run into is if your Mac has any issues, the nearest Apple Store is like 100 miles away so be sure to back it up regularly or get a Time Capsule.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I was in the 3/17 interview in Erie and no change on Wednesday for me. Today my admissions status changed to "Your application is under review", like it said before getting the interview. Yours have any change yet?

Anyone else get this "under review" status after interviewing?
Mine has been under review since January.... I don't think that bodes well for my application

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I interviewed recently (last friday, on 3/17). My admission status since then has been the normal "Thanks for interviewing...", but now today it changed to "Your application is under review.".

I read a couple people on here saying that this is a bad sign, meaning a rejection. This would suck as I felt I did very well in the interview and I have a good GPA, okay MCAT score.

when they start saying thanks for interviewing could be stabbing meaning bad sign.. my guess

when they start saying thanks for interviewing could be stabbing meaning bad sign.. my guess

No, I think that's just the message that always shows up after your interview. In the last few years of Erie threads there are several people saying getting the portal status "Your application is under review" after your interview means you've been rejected. I don't know if that's really the case, as it's obviously speculation based on a limited # of people.

No, I think that's just the message that always shows up after your interview. In the last few years of Erie threads there are several people saying getting the portal status "Your application is under review" after your interview means you've been rejected. I don't know if that's really the case, as it's obviously speculation based on a limited # of people.

Trying to interpret different portal messages and timing will just stress you out for no good reason. After you interview, everyone gets a "thanks for interviewing" message. Then, it will switch to "under review." Then, when a decision has been made, it will switch to "a decision has been made." This is true for everyone that had an interview. The only difference that will be seen is the letter that you get after the last portal status in the mail. It will either say you're accepted, waitlisted, etc.

Some people wait for months, some people wait for weeks, some people wait for days after they interview to hear a decision.

This is normal. I got that sequence of updates and I got accepted. Some people I know got the same sequence too and got waitlisted.

This is normal. I got that sequence of updates and I got accepted. Some people I know got the same sequence too and got waitlisted.

Hey cool, thanks for letting me know. There were a bunch of people in LECOM threads on here (previous years) saying that getting "Your application is under review" on portal after interviewing meant rejection, and based on those threads, this was not a very common portal status post-interview. So just to clarify, you got specifically that "Your application is under review" message after your interview?

For example, here's just one quote (Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016):

"Based on last year's thread, it looks like if your portal changes to "Application Under Review" after an interview it means a rejection letter is in the mail. I genuinely hope this is not true for this year. I was really impressed with LECOM and would be very happy to attend"

There's actually a lot of discussion of this in the last few years' threads, so that's why I was stressing over that message.

Last edited: