Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably sitting on a silent rejection, but is LECOM still taking interviews?

I just got an email today from an admissions recruiter telling me about how they accept the AIS score instead of/with a low MCAT. I took the mcat 1/28 and got a 497 and was planning to retake it in June and apply MD/DO for the next cycle...would it be worth it to try to scramble an app together in the next two weeks if I have an "eligible" AIS score? Or is it way too late in the cycle and completely unrealistic?

Stats: cGPA - 3.47
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 497 AIS score: 122
>1000 paid clinical hours, plenty of volunteering/shadowing/leadership experience etc.

March is really, really late to start an application. I'd wait until next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I only applied to lecom and I'm on the waitlist I'm thinking about reapplying either this coming cycle or the next cycle . Do all my transcripts and letters transfer over on accomas to the new cycle or does everything have to be verified all over again ?

Since I only applied to lecom and I'm on the waitlist I'm thinking about reapplying either this coming cycle or the next cycle . Do all my transcripts and letters transfer over on accomas to the new cycle or does everything have to be verified all over again ?

Did you interview early march?

I just got an email today from an admissions recruiter telling me about how they accept the AIS score instead of/with a low MCAT. I took the mcat 1/28 and got a 497 and was planning to retake it in June and apply MD/DO for the next cycle...would it be worth it to try to scramble an app together in the next two weeks if I have an "eligible" AIS score? Or is it way too late in the cycle and completely unrealistic?

Stats: cGPA - 3.47
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 497 AIS score: 122
>1000 paid clinical hours, plenty of volunteering/shadowing/leadership experience etc.

Not trying to burst your bubble but a 3.47 is very low for MD schools. Not saying that GPA automatically eliminates you, but statistically you have less than a 20% chance of acceptance. Im also assuming that 3.47 is your high school GPA as you mentioned about your AIS score.

There are, however, exceptions to any case. If you have a unique story or you are under rep in medicine (urm) such as based on ethnicity/gender, for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be too late to apply here? My GPA is 3.4, which is somewhat competitive for this school, but it will go down next cycle since AACOMAS will get rid of the grade replacement policy.

What changes without the grade replacement policy?

I applied 2 years in a row. AACOMAS will keep your letters and transcripts verified. You basically just have to confirm everything you entered this past cycle and write a new personal statement.

Waitlisted from 1/27 interview. Not too surprised. Letter says 3/8, noticed change on portal 3/10, received letter in mail today (3/13).

Will likely be declining waitlist position as I'm sitting on a few acceptances. Good luck to all!

Waitlisted from 1/27 interview. Not too surprised. Letter says 3/8, noticed change on portal 3/10, received letter in mail today (3/13).

Will likely be declining waitlist position as I'm sitting on a few acceptances. Good luck to all!
If u don't mind can u share your stat; wondering why waitlisted

If u don't mind can u share your stat; wondering why waitlisted

~3.6 GPA, ~3.5 sGPA, 502-504 MCAT

Reason I'm not surprised is I just don't think my interview went as well as it could have. It was my first group interview and never really got the flow of the whole thing.

Reason I'm not surprised is I just don't think my interview went as well as it could have. It was my first group interview and never really got the flow of the whole thing.
thanks for the info..

Congrats on the multiple acceptances ! I grew up on the South Shore and I see you're from MA- so even more happy for you! ;)

Hey, would you mind giving any interview tip/possible questions based on your experience from the group interview? This will be my first and only interview coming up this week so any advice would be much appreciated.

Congrats on the multiple acceptances ! I grew up on the South Shore and I see you're from MA- so even more happy for you! ;)
Thank you! I've been very fortunate this cycle :)

And best of luck to you! Hopefully you will hear back and get off the waitlist soon! I'm assuming you applied for the PA to DO pathway? There was a PA at my interview that asked a lot of questions about it. She was concerned because she had heard the pathway was full, but they hinted it also sees movement from the waitlist :D

Hey, would you mind giving any interview tip/possible questions based on your experience from the group interview? This will be my first and only interview coming up this week so any advice would be much appreciated.
Sure! I will send you a PM shortly...

Wait listed too. just got the mail.Does anyone know if there is a Deferred acceptance list also in Lecom with higher priority like Bcom. Also total number of seats they have. please let me know

Last edited:
Wait listed too. just got the mail.Does anyone know if there is a Deferred acceptance list also in Lecom with higher priority like Bcom. Also total number of seats they have. please let me know

They do not have a deferred acceptance. Only military members can defer if they are being deployed. Also, they said their waitlist is loosely organized on MCAT scores and GPA but they take many more factors into account when pulling people off the waitlist.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone have any concerns with clinical rotations at LECOM? I've been reading through several threads and it sounds like there is a very hands-off approach by the school when it comes to this.

They do not have a deferred acceptance. Only military members can defer if they are being deployed. Also, they said their waitlist is loosely organized on MCAT scores and GPA but they take many more factors into account when pulling people off the waitlist.

Good luck!

Thank you..

Fly into Cleveland and get a rental car. It's a 2 hour drive and it can be cheaper sometimes than flying straight into Erie.

Depending on what airline you're taking and where you're coming from, also check flights to Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Erie is about 110 miles from the Cleveland airport, 98 miles from the Buffalo airport, and 140 miles from the Pittsburgh airport.

Do you guys know if they're still sending out II's? I submitted my secondary pretty late which was around November : (

Anyone from 02/24 hear back yet? Or know when we can expect to hear back?

Does anyone know when erie campus orientation is?

Anyone know if LECOM Erie sends out rejections? I've been complete since late July and haven't heard a thing...Trying not to assume the worst but it's hard. Reapplicant here.

Anyone know if LECOM Erie sends out rejections? I've been complete since late July and haven't heard a thing...Trying not to assume the worst but it's hard. Reapplicant here.

If you have not been invited for an interview, they will do a silent rejection with no notification or portal update.

If you did get an interview, they will send out a letter with the official decision (acceptance, alternate list, rejection, etc.) after you get an update on your portal saying "a decision has been made."

If you have not been invited for an interview, they will do a silent rejection with no notification or portal update.

If you did get an interview, they will send out a letter with the official decision (acceptance, alternate list, rejection, etc.) after you get an update on your portal saying "a decision has been made."

Ok thank you!