Lake Eerie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few quick questions for any current 3rd/4th year students:

1. Do you feel that you get good quality rotations being at the Bradenton Campus? I read several blog posts stating that students felt as if they were given the "scraps" from the northern campus. (I know blogs represent polarized opinions)
2. Were you or anyone you know dropped from their clinical site? And, if so, was it difficult to find other rotation opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call this morning. Accepted! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call this morning. Accepted! :)

I actually withdrew my acceptance this morning it could have possibly went to you! I'm glad to hear this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually withdrew my acceptance this morning it could have possibly went to you! I'm glad to hear this!

That seems very likely lol! Thank you so much! Best of luck to you! :)

Wow I haven't Been on here in a bit! What made you decide to withdraw if you don't mind my asking? You seemed so eager to get accepted to LECOM before.

Wow I haven't Been on here in a bit! What made you decide to withdraw if you don't mind my asking? You seemed so eager to get accepted to LECOM before.
I was very excited to be accepted to LECOM. It was my first acceptance! Another opportunity presented itself though that seems to be a better fit

Accepted off the waitlist for LECOM Bradenton. I got the call while I was in the car with my family, my mom starting screaming lol. So I will be giving up my LECOM Seton Hill spot. I'm so thankful!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! Welcome to the class! :)

Portal changed to a decision has been made....I'm too nervous to call....I think I'll wait until I get the letter in the mail in case it's a rejection....

Hey everyone! I am applying this week for next cycle. Was wondering your thoughts on my stats. I am a graduate student in physiology. I am non-trad with 8000 hours in the legal field, 500 hours in family med, and 4.0 in 2 year grad program. Should I apply here?
Undergrad 3.6
Grad.: 4.0 (all science)
Science: 3.9
Non-Science: 3.7
MCAT: 499-----DEF WEAKEST ELEMENT---don't want to retake. Most DO schools ive talked to dont have an issue with my score. I interviewed at MD schools last year with this score but it depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I am applying this week for next cycle. Was wondering your thoughts on my stats. I am a graduate student in physiology. I am non-trad with 8000 hours in the legal field, 500 hours in family med, and 4.0 in 2 year grad program. Should I apply here?
Undergrad 3.6
MCAT: 499-----DEF WEAKEST ELEMENT---don't want to retake. Most DO schools ive talked to dont have an issue with my score. I interviewed at MD schools last year with this score but it depends on the school.
In all honesty I'd suggest a MCAT retake.

In all honesty I'd suggest a MCAT retake.
Thanks for the input. Im just a little confused because I saw on their data that the average was a 25...and my gpa is more than a standard dev. above their average for applicants..

Undergrad 3.6

I agree with the poster above...If you are looking for ways to improve your application and increase your chances I would definitely consider retaking your MCAT. That's not to say people with your scores don't get in...they do but a higher score will help.

I agree with the poster above...If you are looking for ways to improve your application and increase your chances I would definitely consider retaking your MCAT. That's not to say people with your scores don't get in...they do but a higher score will help.
I'm a little confused bc their average is a 25..

I'm not sure what Bradenton's new mcat average was but I believe Erie's mcat average was 504, which is around a 27 (data shown to us on interview day) so I'm assuming Bradenton might be around the same (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But you're right that your GPA is good. I'm just suggesting that if you are looking for more ways to buff your app that you can improve your mcat. Though once again, people do get in with your score.

I'm not sure what Bradenton's new mcat average was but I believe Erie's mcat average was 504, which is around a 27 (data shown to us on interview day) so I'm assuming Bradenton might be around the same (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But you're right that your GPA is good. I'm just suggesting that if you are looking for more ways to buff your app that you can improve your mcat. Though once again, people do get in with your score.

Yea i am scheduled for a retake. But I find it interesting that student doc is so numbers heavy. I had friends get into MD schools with 499/500...they were surprised but it happens.

Yea i am scheduled for a retake. But I find it interesting that student doc is so numbers heavy. I had friends get into MD schools with 499/500...they were surprised but it happens.
Must have discovered the cure for cancer for their research papers.

When I interviewed Bradenton's average was approaching around 29

Current LECOM Bradenton OMS1 with a few thoughts for those of you debating LECOM-B:

PBL is awesome. They say it has to be "right" for you and that it is really hard but I'm telling you for the first time in my life I feel like I am really and truly learning. PBL is also setup to allow you to revisit subjects you've already been tested which means that you are exposed to much of the preclinical sciences multiple times throughout your first two years instead of just once. THIS IS AWESOME. THIS IS WHY BRADENTON's BOARD SCORES ROCK. Some would say we "self-teach ourselves medicine" but really where would you go that you do not end up teaching yourself? Teaching yourself is STUDYING and guess what, you have to study at ALL medical schools - the difference is that we are given a lot more time to study then if we were in lecture from 8am-5pm. PBL is also amazing because it fosters really close bonds (usually!) with your PBL group members (which change each semester). You get to know eachother so well and the camaraderie is amazing. PBL is like a built-in tool for building great relationships with other students.

In my opinion, the preclinical curriculum is great. What you hear about administration is probably correct. This is not a school that sugarcoats things for you or holds your hand - there is definitely no sugar or fluff. They enforce their policies strictly and sometimes it can feel like it is "admin against students", but it boils down to the school's position on how to instill professionalism and I think in the long run it will payoff, although it can be incredibly frustrating at times. You just have to suck it up and play by their rules but really are you going to let the fact that you have to dress professionally and keep the food and drink in the lounge keep you from a great education?

So, if you want to learn and be prepared for boards and third and fourth year, the preclinical curriculum is setup for you to shine. It's all about securing the residency you desire and if you have to deal with some admin/LECOM BS to get there then I feel like this is an incredibly great choice and one I would definitely make again.

Reactions: 2 users
What would a letter of intent include if you don't mind me asking. Is it just the obvious like a statement of purpose?
Wow thats fast turn around! They told us they are very welcoming to letters of intent, so maybe sending one might help you out. Also if you don't mind me asking, stats?

What would a letter of intent include if you don't mind me asking. Is it just the obvious like a statement of purpose?
I sent a letter stating why I want to go to Bradenton specifically and my plans to go if accepted.

Can I ask how soon after your interview did you send it?
Maybe two weeks for the first letter and 2 weeks for the second...got a call a fee days later. I dunno if they were going to call me anyway. Also I had an acceptance at Seton Hill. I dunno if that affected anything either.

Hi all,
I withdrew my acceptance today. LECOM has many great opportunities and hope you guys can make the most of them. I will be attending a different program for reasons specific to my circumstances. I wish all of you the best.

Can I ask how soon after your interview did you send it?

I sent mine the Monday after my interview which was on a Friday. We were strongly advised by Ron to do so.

And yeah I just talked about why I wanted to attend Bradenton specifically and how PBL fits my learning style.

I sent mine the Monday after my interview which was on a Friday. We were strongly advised by Ron to do so.

And yeah I just talked about why I wanted to attend Bradenton specifically and how PBL fits my learning style.

I just wanted to ask who you addressed the letter too? Was it Dr. Berezniak?

The poster above^ is correct, you address it to the committee. Best of luck to you!

Addressed to the admissions committee should it be emailed to Mrs. Shively?

Does anyone know how large the priority waitlist is?

Officially accepted!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Awesome! My portal still says still under consideration. Fingers crossed. My interview was later than yours though.
I sent in a LOI with an additional LOR attached, so I'm sure that helped...I know at my interview they stressed that LOIs were recommended

Congrats!!! That's amazing news :) Did you get a portal change or phone call or anything?
Phone call...the portal changes to the admission committee has made a decision and you'll receive it in the mail within 30 days

Got the call today! Accepted!
Congratulations! When was your interview? I am wondering the same thing about dates...my interview was the last one so I'm biting my nails over here...

can anyone give me an idea of what the typical weekly schedule looks like for first years?

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist? Can you explain what to expect? Email notifications, portal changes or phone calls?
Portal changes to a decision has been made and you will be notified be mail within 30 days...at that point you can call and ask, or wait for them to call you