Ladies, will you change your last name after marriage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But "culturally" she won't be seen as weak when taking his? If this whole thing was a sign of who was superior and inferior in the first place, then it's okay for her to be submissive because she was a woman right? I thought everyone cared about the family unity thing. Doesn't matter what name you take as long as the family is binded by a name (which in and of itself sounds fishy). I, of course, will not be taking my future husband's name (if I decide to even get married, which seems pretty foggy right now). My opinion is: If it's for family unity and for the oneness and binding a name will bring, then why does it automatically have to be his and not hers? It honestly seems like he's representing himself in the relationship whilst she is also being represented by him in the relationship, being one is a combination of TWO people. Just because something is "tradition" doesn't mean we should blindly accept it. Women never had rights, blacks were slaves, etc. They were all traditions, we got rid of those; because they didn't make sense. Why should this be any acception? A name is a personal "possession", and how an individual handles their own name is very personal, not subject to practical concerns or "right vs wrong" rules. There's no practical reason why you MUST call yourself any particular name - the reasons are mostly symbolic/sentimental. It's like coming to someone's bedroom and examining the tchotchkies on top of the dresser - you will not know the meaning behind each one, but just because they don't have a personal meaning to YOU doesn't mean that their owner is not attached to them. Indeed, the owner might have very strong sentimental feelings about any one of the items. Same goes for the name; just because YOU don't feel the connection with your name and feel that things other than the name define who you are, doesn't mean that others must necessarily share this perspective. For a lot of people, their name is like the stuffed rabbit they've had since they were 3 years old - no practical value, but very sentimentally charged. Of course, neither the ratty rabbit nor the name really defines who we are as a person - but this doesn't render our attachment invalid. The desire to retain one's name is just as valid as the desire to keep one's old toy, which in turn is just as valid as either changing one's name or choosing to throw the toy away.

My own feeling is that I was born with my name, and I will die with it. Just like changing your name doesn't change who you are, retaining your name doesn't make you any less married. And not sharing the same last name as your kids doesn't make you any less their mother. So this same argument can go both ways. I don't understand why people think it would be think it's such an "insult" to my fiance that I wish to keep my name. It's an insult to me to expect to give up a part of my identity. People here keep saying, why even bother to marry, then? So, the only reason to marry someone is to change your name? Hell, I can go to the city hall and do that whenever I want, if it makes me happy. If a woman changing her name is a sign of respect then what does the man change about his identity to show his respect? Respect is a two way street.

Anyway, we're not the only culture in the world, now or historically, and we hold no ownership rights to tradition. We may be able to best honor traditions and what those traditions represent by establishing new ones.

lol hey isn't it sweet how all these couples take on the man's name for closeness and unity? No wonder there's such a low divorce rate. Oh, WAIT.

"Love me for who I am not for how you can change me. A real man wouldn't care about his wife taking his name so long as he has her in his life."

Members don't see this ad.

lucky for me I'm already married and applying this year. i didn't change it then, and don't plan on it. ;)

Wow there are some incredibly old-fashioned, sexist, arrogant people on this thread. I could care less if a woman decides to change her name or not, it's her decision. But to hear these men say that it makes you "less of a family" or that she should "love him enough to do it" so just silly.

My husband and I have been married for 2 years now. I never once thought of changing my name, and that has not created distance between us. Getting married, in fact, has made us closer. I can not imagine a man who would not want to marry me because he couldn't "brand" me with his name. I'm not a part of his property, and I'm not giving up my family to be married to him. And neither is he. I would never ask him to change his name and I appreciate that my husband respects the fact that I am my own person, and will be regardless if I'm married or not.

And besides all that, do you know what a pain in the ass it would be to change all of your documents, and then later have to provide documentation about your previous name? Don't women do enough as it is? Are you just trying to give us more work? (I speak in jest ok, so chill)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nowhere near getting married but my story on this is slightly humorous.

So my dad's name is YYYY. My mom's XXXXX-YYYY. Mine and sisters' YYYY-XXXXX. For unofficial things we all go by my dad's last name but when it comes down to it, all of us have diff last names -__-" That's why I decided that I'll change mine even though like the OP mentioned I've always thought of myself as Dr. YYYY. Oh well, I don't want my children to have to go through the hyphenated mess my family's in XD

Reactions: 2 users
I legally can't get married (I'm in California and gay), but I changed my last name when I got a domestic partnership.

I never got along with my father, so I refused to take his name. My mom disliked her father also. So she didn't want his name. So my mom and I took a name we like - which was not from my dad or her dad. :) There are lots of different people out there. You just have to do what you think is right and what you feel comfortable with.

ps
If I ever got married and my husband decided that he didn't want to change his last name to mine, I'd be okay with that as long as he agreed to wear a chastity belt when I'm at work, a bourka when in public and that he agreed never to speak with women that weren't family. :laugh: Joking of course, calm down.

I just got married and did not change my name. It's who I am and I see no reason to change it. Future kids will have husband's name. It's not been easy, dealing with the more traditional women in the family (in-laws, actually). No one ever asks why I didn't change it. Instead, they still call me Mrs. XXX thinking it's cute, and if the topic of name changing is brought up, they just cut me off and ramble about how the name XXX isn't so bad and I will still be called Mrs. XXX regardless of if I change it or not. I really don't mind it at all from people who are just joking around or random customer service people. But, coming from women who seem to be disapproving of my decision, it is downright annoying. This only comes from women who did not have careers, so they have no frame of reference, plus, they seem to take my decision as a personal insult. That's just a heads-up that you might want to prepare a way to respond to people calling you Mrs. XXX if you stay Dr. YYY.

I got married last six months and I changed my name.

I changed my name happily because I did not like my maiden name.:D Nobody pronounced it correctly anyways. I prefer my husband's name.

That being said a woman does not need to take the husband's name. This is no longer the 50's. We do not belong to any man nor do we need to be marked. A woman can keep her name or a man can take his wifes name. It is completely a matter of culture and society. Use the name that YOU want

Reactions: 1 user
I changed mine this time. I had 2 last names with my first marriage and it was a bigger hassle than it was worth. I love my maiden name even though it is hard to pronounce. It was not without sadness that I changed it, but I do feel strongly about the family unit having the same last name. Doesn't matter which partner's it is or if you both hyphenate or whatever, but I do like the way is says that you belong together, esp when kids are in the mix.

I recently got engaged, and my fiancee and his parents don't care what I do with my name. I think right now we're settling for a hyphenated last name for both myself and our children (my fiancee will probably just keep his single last name) since neither of us have particularly long or complex last names. My mom didn't change her last name at all (which is a huge deal since I'm Indian and my family is traditionally very conservative) because she felt that it would confuse everyone in her field of work, which is a fair point.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is it possible to be Sarah Jones(maiden) Smith (new last name) and go by Dr. Jones, I know that your SSN, ID, and all the legal documents have to be changed to new name. But, would you be legally bound to by Dr. Smith (new last name) especially if you got married right after graduating from medical school?!? I want to keep my maiden name professionally because I am the 2nd physician on both sides of the family aside from my older sibling. However, I also want to take on my FI last name as well. PLEASE ADVISE!?!?

I didn't change my last name when I got married. The spouse and I talked about what our kids' last names will be and we really like the idea of having their names hyphenated with both our last names. Has anyone heard of other couples doing this?

Well, one example I can think of is Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, all their kids have the last name Jolie-Pitt. Then again their last names are short...

So, is it possible to be Sarah Jones(maiden) Smith (new last name) and go by Dr. Jones, I know that your SSN, ID, and all the legal documents have to be changed to new name. But, would you be legally bound to by Dr. Smith (new last name) especially if you got married right after graduating from medical school?!? I want to keep my maiden name professionally because I am the 2nd physician on both sides of the family aside from my older sibling. However, I also want to take on my FI last name as well. PLEASE ADVISE!?!?

I've thought about this option too.

I will change it because I want nothing to do with my family's name.

I will practice under my maiden name but our kids will have his last name. He comes from a medical family and his older sister did the same thing, so he is quite fine with it. Our names sound awful hyphenated so that is not an option.

Someone calling me with my husbands name sometimes is OK but for every time, I don't like it at all. Is there any status of mine or not? I have not change my name and I'll not going to change my sister's name also

I most likely will, definitely if his last name sounds good next to my first.

I'm planning to keep my maiden name for work purposes but outside work I would prefer to be known by my married name. I am considering the hyphen option though. :)

It's your name. It's the first piece of your identity you learn. I'm keeping mine.

It totally depends on you and your husband. If both of you are comfortable without changing the last name, it is perfectly alright. There is nothing in a name when you both are loving and caring for each other. :)

I'd keep my name. I'd be the first doctor in my family and I'd like to make everyone proud that way. Plus I like my given name too much!

Any input greatly appreciated!

I am getting married 1 week before graduating medical school.

I am choosing to take my husbands name and practice under it.

My medical degree will be under my maiden name.

What do I need to do to get everything sorted out? Is this a big headache? I know I should contact my residency likely asap after I match and inform them before things are embroidered etc.

Absolutely keeping it even though I don't even know my family.

If I get married, which I doubt will ever happen half the time, I'm not changing mine. I like it. It's a famous name and gets me asked if I'm loaded all of the time. :p

I've had this discussion (sort of) with my current long-term boyfriend. My initial inclination would be to keep my last name, at least for professional purposes, though I've never really been able to articulate why. He strongly said he would want me to take his last name, since the side of the family that bears it survived the Holocaust. He also wants us/our potential future children to all be united and have one last name. I'm not sure what my options would be here (I really don't like hyphenation and neither does he). I also would be the one with the higher degree and professional title, so I don't know how addressing would work (Dr. & Mr.? Mr. & Dr.?)

I've had this discussion (sort of) with my current long-term boyfriend. My initial inclination would be to keep my last name, at least for professional purposes, though I've never really been able to articulate why. He strongly said he would want me to take his last name, since the side of the family that bears it survived the Holocaust. He also wants us/our potential future children to all be united and have one last name. I'm not sure what my options would be here (I really don't like hyphenation and neither does he). I also would be the one with the higher degree and professional title, so I don't know how addressing would work (Dr. & Mr.? Mr. & Dr.?)

What wrong with Mr and Mrs? It's just a silly prestige thing no matter if you are a man or woman.

What wrong with Mr and Mrs? It's just a silly prestige thing no matter if you are a man or woman.
By the time I have my MD I will have worked damn hard for it, and, at least for formal/business type environments, I would prefer being addressed as "Dr." rather than "Mrs." It's not so much a prestige thing as a belief in the norm that the professional title ought to supersede the social one.

Of course, I wouldn't be mad at being addressed as Mrs., but my preference would be for Dr., hence my question about how addressing would work. Not to mention, if I decided not to take his last name, Mrs. would seem kinda weird...

If you took his name (smith for example) a formal introduction would be, "I'd like you to meet mister and doctor smith."

If you don't take the name it would likely be something akin to, "I'd like you to me mr. smith and his wife, dr. Jam".

The fact that most women take their husbands' names, and by default give their children their husbands' names, are two of the most widely accepted yet blatantly patriarchal customs that continue to be perpetuated in this country. It is very sad and I really cannot understand why most of my friends have done it.

You should not change your name. Your boyfriend sounds like he is invested in maintaining the patriarchy. If you were the one with the family of holocaust survivors, would he take your name? I doubt it. Obviously, that is only part of the reason, but he doesn't want to say the other reason because it sounds sexist. Kids do not need to have the same name as their parents. I don't have the same name as my non-physician husband or my mother and it has caused zero issues in my life. Believe me, I know she is my mother, and her last name is a lovable part of who she is. If women continue to change their name, the assumption that letters can be addressed to "Mr and Mrs" David Smith, which denies a woman's existence altogether, will never die.

By the time I have my MD I will have worked damn hard for it, and, at least for formal/business type environments, I would prefer being addressed as "Dr." rather than "Mrs." It's not so much a prestige thing as a belief in the norm that the professional title ought to supersede the social one.

Of course, I wouldn't be mad at being addressed as Mrs., but my preference would be for Dr., hence my question about how addressing would work. Not to mention, if I decided not to take his last name, Mrs. would seem kinda weird...

There should be no place for Mrs. in a world where men and women are equal. It is an antiquated form of address meant to differentiate married from unmarried women. There is no equivalent appellation for men, who are not judged by society based on their marital status. Ms. works perfectly fine.

That fact is women don't make the decisions that feminists would like them to make. This sort of third wave feminism is cancer. Feminists want to neuter men and turn them into beta orbiting ****s. Equality has already been achieved, they now want complete control.

A Vox poll in 2015 shows that only 18% of Americans consider themselves feminists. But 85% of Americans believe in equality between the sexes. Either feminism has a serious marketing problem, or third-wave feminism has nothing to do with equality.

In the odd, fake, world feminists live in, the patriarchy says to women “you are nothing without us,” but in the real world it is feminists saying to women “You are nothing without us.”

That fact is women were much happier 35 years ago than they are today. Men and women may be equal but they are not the same.

Last edited:
I am definitely interested in keeping my last name. After all, I feel as though when I achieve my desired status, I will have worked so hard to bebe Dr. lastname. On a similar note, though, I would love to use a hyphenated version, but my last name would sound silly with anything else.. Too basic sounding. :rofl:

I’m already married and did take my husbands name, but my maiden name became my middle name. I am seriously considering practicing under my maiden name. Both names get spelled wrong, but at least my maiden name can be pronounced by most. I do feel conflicted though, as I’m a very nontraditional student and would not have been able to do this without my husbands support. He’s sacrificed a lot to help me get here.

I’m already married and did take my husbands name, but my maiden name became my middle name. I am seriously considering practicing under my maiden name. Both names get spelled wrong, but at least my maiden name can be pronounced by most. I do feel conflicted though, as I’m a very nontraditional student and would not have been able to do this without my husbands support. He’s sacrificed a lot to help me get here.
He will reap the rewards of your successful practice and your affection/appreciation. He shouldn't consider it an insult if you choose to practice under your name.

Reactions: 7 users
I will 100% hyphenate my last name which is what my mom did. I will probably request to be referred to as Dr. (maiden name) though since I earned that😂. Also my last name is very easy to pronounce and spell and it sounds cool

Maybe...my last name is very hard to pronounce so tbh I have always wanted a different one that was easier to pronounce.

But I could also decide to keep it...I mean, I could change it now tbh now that I’ve actually thought about it.

I changed my name and I have zero regrets.

My wife kept her name. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Well that's not entirely true, every so often I get called "Mr. Wife's-last-name". That in itself doesn't bother me, but the **** eating grin that she gives me afterwards is another story.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I will happily take my future husbands last name.

Just an n = 1 from a female friend.

IF you are married in medical school, and IF you do plan on changing your name, do so prior to graduation, so your diploma has your married name on it, o/w all future credentialing gets cumbersome

Just an n = 1 from a female friend.

IF you are married in medical school, and IF you do plan on changing your name, do so prior to graduation, so your diploma has your married name on it, o/w all future credentialing gets cumbersome

Thank you for posting this. That's not something I'd thought of before.