KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Compared to NY, KC is definitely small...but in a lot of ways its alot like boston or portland...not so much build up high rises but so much to do in the surrounding areas
It's definitely a different definition of "city" than what I'm used to haha but I can see there is a lot to explore

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely a different definition of "city" than what I'm used to haha but I can see there is a lot to explore

From one NY'er to another, make sure you eat all the pie you can handle before you move here, cause the pizza here is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

From one NY'er to another, make sure you eat all the pie you can handle before you move here, cause the pizza here is awful.

haha not surprising. I went to Georgia to visit a friend a few summers back - we went to a local pizza place and the cashier looked at me like I had 12 heads when I asked for a Sicilian slice. No one does pizza quite like NY/NJ. Same with bagels!!

Members don't see this ad :)
KC's a tad smaller than Minneapolis, but not so much. Both are way smaller than Manila though, where I grew up

But to ask a very serious question. Who will be going to Sporting KC games with me? Any MLS love here?
Whenever the royals play the sox I'm in. Actually I'm sure I'll go to more than just that haha. I'm also excited for some Chiefs games if I'm not living in the library at that point

Having lived in Boston for a while I too am a sox fan. Glad to see another going to KC. Hopefully we will be treated with kindness as I'll be decked in sox gear.
just looked up the schedule and they're playing at KC at the end of June. Looks like I might have to move up early haha

The one played with the foot and a spherical object? That's the one haha by the end of med school I will get you into major league soccer....if you can explain and get me into US football.

Challenge accepted! I'm a huge football guy and will gladly explain it to you haha

If you get me to enjoy MLS soccer I will be highly impressed since I have never been a soccer guy!

Reactions: 1 users
I dusted off my sdn account to help with that.

Any of you guys disc golf? There's a course nearby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on the new HCA Midwest Health Hospital system and KCU rotation agreement?? Looks like an awesome new program, but I'm curious if it'll be preceptor or wards based.

That's actually a good mix of hospitals and will good a good job in letting more students stay in KC.

From the press release:

"HCA Midwest Health has 150 access points consisting of hospitals, outpatient centers, clinics, urgent cares, physician practices, and surgery centers, throughout the Kansas City area"

Was there any other communication to suggest that these new clinical spots will be hospital based at HCA's hospitals?

Simply shipping students to the outpatient office settings is not going to do much to improve the quality of clinical training, it will just add more "preceptor" spots. If it means that there are going to be more in-patient rotations, at the HCA facilities that have active GME programs, then this is great news for KCUMB!

From the press release:

"HCA Midwest Health has 150 access points consisting of hospitals, outpatient centers, clinics, urgent cares, physician practices, and surgery centers, throughout the Kansas City area"

Was there any other communication to suggest that these new clinical spots will be hospital based at HCA's hospitals?

Simply shipping students to the outpatient office settings is not going to do much to improve the quality of clinical training, it will just add more "preceptor" spots. If it means that there are going to be more in-patient rotations, at the HCA facilities that have active GME programs, then this is great news for KCUMB!

Fingers crossed it's hospitals with active GME

From the press release:

I looked at some of the group's hospitals and they include establish teaching hospitals/ residency training. Others are decent ERs and decent sized hospitals. Sure most will be preceptor, but it's an improvement over having to shuffle many students around the country, though personally I'd like that option to be kept.

By the way, something random. There's going to be a total solar eclipse on Aug 21. It's going to pass above Kansas City.

I've heard that only Research Med Center has a residency (FM). I wonder what the possibilities are that KCU will help spawn new residency spots at some of the hospitals. Either way like you said, it will be nice to hopefully have a reduced chance of having to leave my family in KC to do rotations in far away lands.

Yah, that one has an FM residency. But I'm sure some others have them too including some AOA residencies.
In either regard adding in some local sites at big hospitals, whether preceptor or wards is beneficial.

Not sure any osteopathic schools are interested in opening up residencies. They are more interested in opening up schools. Probably part of the reason acgme has stepped in and forced the merger. It would be nice to see KCU contribute to opening up residencies,

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know the courses and course schedules during MSI and MSII? Also, do we need to purchase hard copies of the textbooks or do the iPads that the students get include eBooks of all the textbooks with the tuition? Thanks.

Does anyone know the courses and course schedules during MSI and MSII? Also, do we need to purchase hard copies of the textbooks or do the iPads that the students get include eBooks of all the textbooks with the tuition? Thanks.

Semester 1, Year 1 for us(this is subject to change): Biochem/molecular/cell biology, immunology, musculoskeletal, cardiopulm, renal/
Semester 2, Year 2: GI, endocrine, reproduction, neuroscience, pathology 1 and 2 (which is micro).

The only books you should get hard copy: Panini's medical biochem, costanzo biochem, First Aid, Big Robbins (end of year 1), pathoma.

There are free versions running around but you need to ask other students.

Reactions: 2 users
Semester 1, Year 1 for us(this is subject to change): Biochem/molecular/cell biology, immunology, musculoskeletal, cardiopulm, renal/
Semester 2, Year 2: GI, endocrine, reproduction, neuroscience, pathology 1 and 2 (which is micro).

The only books you should get hard copy: Panini's medical biochem, costanzo biochem, First Aid, Big Robbins (end of year 1), pathoma.

Costanzo physio, not biochem.

Thanks for the info! I found a list of textbooks on the library website http://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-ci...ocuments/MSI Required Textbooks 2016-2017.pdf and it looks like there are 24 required textbooks. Do some courses require multiple textbooks?

Any tips for doing well in my gross anatomy dissection this semester? @Snoozer33 @AlteredScale
Trying to decide if its worth it or not to get an anatomical atlas that I can use at KCU as well!

Spend time down there with then anatomy tutors during tutoring sessions. For the most part (with one exception being a new professor who is raising hell for the MS1s) the tutors will help guide what is most important to know for the anatomy practicals. The anatomy guides are good for mental visualization but come now where close to the variation you'll see in cadaver lab

Spend time down there with then anatomy tutors during tutoring sessions. For the most part (with one exception being a new professor who is raising hell for the MS1s) the tutors will help guide what is most important to know for the anatomy practicals. The anatomy guides are good for mental visualization but come now where close to the variation you'll see in cadaver lab

Oh sorry I meant this current and last semester of undergrad gross anatomy! We only get 6 hours a week in the lab so I thought maybe getting an atlas would be a good supplement that I could use at KCU as well.

Oh sorry I meant this current and last semester of undergrad gross anatomy! We only get 6 hours a week in the lab so I thought maybe getting an atlas would be a good supplement that I could use at KCU as well.
If you're going to buy an atlas, I'd recommend Olinger's gross anatomy. You can find it on amazon...written by one of our profs here. Excellent tool b/c it has pictures of the cadaver and drawings side by side. I've used it extensively every anatomy block.

You only need the ones I listed above imo.

Alright cool, thanks!
Also, anyone thinking of places to live in Kansas City? I hear Country Club Plaza and Westport are nice but is it a little too far from campus? Also, anyone have thoughts on living in the Century Tower residencies right by campus?

Dubin's EKG book is also a good one. Don't forget microbiology made simple.

Panini's, Costanzo, Pathoma, and Dubin's you can buy anytime because new editions rarely come out and the changes are minor.

OTOH FA is updated every year and I think a new edition of Big Robbins is coming out (9th edition?)

Use Half.com and try to buy the books when the good deals are up. You don't want to buy books when everyone wants the book because the demand goes higher and so does the price.

You also don't want to wait until the course starts. In my year some students didn't have the micro book until a few days after the course had started. It's a 1.5week course. If you don't have it on day 1 then that's not good news at all.

@altered_scale, can we make a FAQ on the first page? Some of the same important questions are being asked frequently.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Don't forget sketchy micro and possibly sketchy pharm.

Wanted to share this with y'all
ImageUploadedBySDN1484515066.349936.jpg

Dubin's EKG book is also a good one. Don't forget microbiology made simple.

Panini's, Costanzo, Pathoma, and Dubin's you can buy anytime because new editions rarely come out and the changes are minor.

OTOH FA is updated every year and I think a new edition of Big Robbins is coming out (9th edition?)

Use Half.com and try to buy the books when the good deals are up. You don't want to buy books when everyone wants the book because the demand goes higher and so does the price.

You also don't want to wait until the course starts. In my year some students didn't have the micro book until a few days after the course had started. It's a 1.5week course. If you don't have it on day 1 then that's not good news at all.

@altered_scale, can we make a FAQ on the first page? Some of the same important questions are being asked frequently.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Yeah I think that might be good to do. Do you wanna set it up?

Quick question since people were talking about this on the application thread, does anyone know anything about the specialty honors track? Do these have similar timelines with Global medicine/ military honors track?

Quick question since people were talking about this on the application thread, does anyone know anything about the specialty honors track? Do these have similar timelines with Global medicine/ military honors track?

The global and military tracks are a different because they will have aspects integrated into the year 1 and 2 curriculum where the specialty honors tracks are strictly for year 3 and part of 4 as well.

Don't you need to incorporate at least 3 months of international clerkships for year 3 and 4 under the global track as well?

Anyway, different question, how close are grocery stores to Century towers? I know there's an Aldi a few blocks away. Is there an asian grocery store somewhere? I'm looking for a place to buy rice.

Don't you need to incorporate at least 3 months of international clerkships for year 3 and 4 under the global track as well?

Anyway, different question, how close are grocery stores to Century towers? I know there's an Aldi a few blocks away. Is there an asian grocery store somewhere? I'm looking for a place to buy rice.

Yes that sounds right in terms of the global track.

Grocery stores: Consantinos kind of an uppity grocery store 5-10 min away in downtown. There are about 2-3 Asian markets at river market as well that's about 5 minutes away from CT.

Matty Ice comin for ya!

Mad respect for TB12 but as a rams fan I'm still bitter about the 2002 super bowl
Matty ice is gonna have a rough night
Yeah that game made me a fan I started playing football that year on a team called the patriots and I thought I was affiliated which I later found out was not the case when I didn't get a Super Bowl ring.

Any word on when we might get our student e-mails? Is it post-FAFSA? Can't wait to condense down my email addresses, ugh. So much spam.

Email access will not come until right before school starts.

Last edited:
Is anyone doing HPSP? I know it's been touched on on the facebook page, but just curious if anyone else is that can speak to the military medicine honors track.

So I had my PCP order the titers in Jan and they ended up being qualitative (after I specifically said i need quantitative) so I have to have them redone. Kind of freaking out because it is so late. I had a qualitative titer for Hep B about two years ago for a hospital job and I was immune. Does this mean it is unlikely I will need that third Hep B titer that you have to wait like 5 months for?

So I had my PCP order the titers in Jan and they ended up being qualitative (after I specifically said i need quantitative) so I have to have them redone. Kind of freaking out because it is so late. I had a qualitative titer for Hep B about two years ago for a hospital job and I was immune. Does this mean it is unlikely I will need that third Hep B titer that you have to wait like 5 months for?
The only reason you would have to wait for a titer is if you haven't finished the immunization series. If you've had all 3 immunizations for Hep B there's no reason you can't go get the titer done today.