Kaplan Full Length Practice Tests vs. Real DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cait H.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how accurate the Kaplan Full length tests were compared to the real DAT? I use those to practice and I'm doing pretty well, however, the math sections are always my lowest scores.
Do the difficulty of the questions in each section resemble the actual tests difficulty?

Members don't see this ad.

I took all five Kaplan tests. Found them to be pretty representative of the material covered in the DAT except for one section: PAT angle ranking. It's way too easy, and BC is closer to what you'll actually see on the DAT. I started out with a 14 on my first Kaplan QR section. I scored a 22 on the actual DAT which was about a month later. Practice and strategize the QR section (Destroyer, BC, Kaplan)... it'll get better.

Reactions: 1 users
My highest Kaplan practice was a 21, whereas I got a 23 on the actual DAT. So don't stress out if your numbers are a little lower than your goal - IMO they sandbag the score as insurance against the cost of their score/retake guarantee. Just keep shoring up your weak spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I only took the free practice one from Kaplan and looked through the problems in the blue book and it seemed close. One thing, again at least in my experience, is that angle ranking seemed way off. I averaged about 7 sec a question in the Kaplan test and got 15/15. I am willing to bet all of my missed points on the real DAT were from angle ranking. It was significantly harder.