Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if this has been asked already but do we need to bring equipment exactly like what is listed in the provided list? I have a bunch of hand-me-down medical equipment from my parents that are technically not what is needed but isn't the exact brand and probably less fancy...
Also the list states that "all students must purchase the equipment" and does that mean their specific equipment or just more of a general statement to bring those items?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this has been asked already but do we need to bring equipment exactly like what is listed in the provided list? I have a bunch of hand-me-down medical equipment from my parents that are technically not what is needed but isn't the exact brand and probably less fancy...
Also the list states that "all students must purchase the equipment" and does that mean their specific equipment or just more of a general statement to bring those items?

The stuff you have will be fine. You just need to have a working version of whatever is on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

It's just a requirement that every student have the equipment it doesn't have to be the exact ones. As long as you have a working stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, and otoscope you'll be set. A tuning fork and BP cuff are also important.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just a requirement that every student have the equipment it doesn't have to be the exact ones. As long as you have a working stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, and otoscope you'll be set. A tuning fork and BP cuff are also important.

I just said that, brah

Just curious, are there any current KCU students who use firecracker? If so, are you able to fit it into your daily routine?

Anyone know where to go to see your outstanding balance for tuition? I'm struggling to find the right site at the moment.

Anyone know where to go to see your outstanding balance for tuition? I'm struggling to find the right site at the moment.

I also am wondering how we pay tuition. I never received an email with instructions on how to pay online. I would appreciate the help, thank you.

You should log into net partner to check out loans and tuition payment options.

I also am wondering how we pay tuition. I never received an email with instructions on how to pay online. I would appreciate the help, thank you.

Use the powercampus app from the single sign-in page.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Use the powercampus app from the single sign-in page.

Thanks. I ended up going to the finance office and they told me that there is no way to pay all or part of your tuition statement online or by credit card. If you would like to do that, you have to mail them a check or bring a check into their office to submit (pretty old school).

Do you guys know the location of all of our classes? The schedule on the calendar only gives us the class name, time, and professor name... but which halls/buildings are our classes in?

Do you guys know the location of all of our classes? The schedule on the calendar only gives us the class name, time, and professor name... but which halls/buildings are our classes in?

Academic center where your orientation is where almost all courses will be. Labs in anatomy and OMM lab in SEP. Standadrized patients in KCCC

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic center where your orientation is where almost all courses will be. Labs in anatomy and OMM lab in SEP. Standadrized patients in KCCC

Thanks!! So for the academic center classes, will they tell us which room to go to? Or will they all be in ac 100/200?

Enjoy your last weekend before MS-1! The next two years are going to be a very trying and unique journey but there's 269 others going through the same path as you. It's OK to ask for help, it's OK to be wrong, and it's OK not to be at the very top of your class rank. Learn the material well for your patients and not for the next test.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks!! So for the academic center classes, will they tell us which room to go to? Or will they all be in ac 100/200?

All are in ac200 unless noted otherwise. You guys get the nice lecture center.

Gotta give us some nice aesthetics before we get hit across the face with reality!

Don't forget to bring a jacket or you may freeze your aesthetics off in that place.

Reactions: 3 users
is it normal to feel this lost already lol? we're not even through day 2 of biochem and holy **** is it a lot of material really really fast. didn't think i'd feel so behind already

I watched YouTube video on "How Not to Fail Out of Medical School" after the first lecture today.

Step 1: calm down
Step 2: study
Step 3: evaluate how you did step 2 if your first biochem test doesn't reach your goals
Step 4: eat at Q39

Such truth.

Except number 4 should say Joes.

Remember, no one fails out of med school after the first week or first test. If they did, I wouldn't be a second year now. Don't be afraid to change study strategies. It worked wonders for me.

Last edited:
Such truth.

Except number 4 should say Joes.

Remember, no one fails out of med school after the first week or first test. If they did, I wouldn't be a second year now. Don't be afraid to change study strategies. It worked wonders for me.

Oh duuude. Q39 beats joes for sure!

To: The Current Amazeballs Students of KCU-COM

If you live alone or have friends who do, could you recommend some apartment complexes, that are feasible within the allotted COA loan amount? Which buildings, other than the obvious CT, seem popular with students? Any to avoid?

Just thought I'd have better luck here...maybe? :whistle: Thanks!

To: The Current Amazeballs Students of KCU-COM

If you live alone or have friends who do, could you recommend some apartment complexes, that are feasible within the allotted COA loan amount? Which buildings, other than the obvious CT, seem popular with students? Any to avoid?

Just thought I'd have better luck here...maybe? :whistle: Thanks!
I live at the Denton it’s very nice and a little outside the direct metropolitan area (10 min drive from campus), I find it’s good for my head space to get away a little

I live at the Denton it’s very nice and a little outside the direct metropolitan area (10 min drive from campus), I find it’s good for my head space to get away a little

The Denton is having double referral reward now ;)

Can any living at CT help me out? I am interested in living there and would like to view the terms and conditions in the lease before I sign or deposit anything. I asked Gia and she wouldn't allow me to view one (which is really, really strange and shady....)

Cause CT succ ( I didn't even consider living there).

Honestly, the only 3 good things about CT are:
- convenience of being walking distance to campus
- cheap, w/ utilities paid for (although there's being some problems recently from what I've heard)
- close proximity with your classmates (could be a good or bad thing depending on how social you are)

Cause CT succ ( I didn't even consider living there).

Honestly, the only 3 good things about CT are:
- convenience of being walking distance to campus
- cheap, w/ utilities paid for (although there's being some problems recently from what I've heard)
- close proximity with your classmates (could be a good or bad thing depending on how social you are)

When I look for a place to live proximity to work and price are always the most important... what are the drawbacks?

What are the issues you’ve heard of?

Just wanna make a smart decision, as I’m doing all this from a distance.

When I look for a place to live proximity to work and price are always the most important... what are the drawbacks?

Look on Craigslist, there are 2 other med schools and a dental school. Many students live by KU and commute 10 to 15 mins. I did this and it worked out well.

So how’s the waitlist movement here?? I was placed on the WL on Dec 15

It depends. If you really like convenience and like to go to class and like to be social and like cheap stuff, then CT is the way to go. I just know that there's some problems with the place and management and a decent amount of students want to leave CT (but usually don't because they don't want to have to move again).

It depends. If you really like convenience and like to go to class and like to be social and like cheap stuff, then CT is the way to go. I just know that there's some problems with the place and management and a decent amount of students want to leave CT (but usually don't because they don't want to have to move again).

That all makes sense.

Any idea what the specific issues w/ the management is, though? If it’s something minor (“gosh they told me to keep it down at 3AM! THE NERVE!”) that’s one thing, but I’ve lived in places that lost power/running water etc and it is no fun. So for me the magnitude of the issues matters.

Honestly I’m not that picky in living arrangements as I live alone and have few possessions. Currently posting from my 400sqft studio.

That all makes sense.

Any idea what the specific issues w/ the management is, though? If it’s something minor (“gosh they told me to keep it down at 3AM! THE NERVE!”) that’s one thing, but I’ve lived in places that lost power/running water etc and it is no fun. So for me the magnitude of the issues matters.

Honestly I’m not that picky in living arrangements as I live alone and have few possessions. Currently posting from my 400sqft studio.
Some electricity and water problems from what I've seen on the FB page.

Honestly, if you aren't picky, have few things, and live in a small place, you are fine for CT. I'd recommend it in your case.