Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought I was the only one!!! I'm coming into KC Monday afternoon before orientation on Wednesday, and I still don't have an apartment picked out :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
Same here, I currently looking at East 9 at Pickwick Plaza or Commerce Towers since they are pretty close by. Anyone current student vetted these places?

Members don't see this ad.

Same here, I currently looking at East 9 at Pickwick Plaza or Commerce Towers since they are pretty close by. Anyone current student vetted these places?
I have a good friend who lives in commerce towers and loves it. I think he pays ~950 a month for a sweet one man apartment

seeing a lot of people recommend doing Notability for notes. So we can basically just download class pdfs into the app and annotate directly? because that seems to be the best way to do notes.

since we don't get the pro version, is there any fine writing stylus that people recommend that actually is precise?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
seeing a lot of people recommend doing Notability for notes. So we can basically just download class pdfs into the app and annotate directly? because that seems to be the best way to do notes.

since we don't get the pro version, is there any fine writing stylus that people recommend that actually is precise?

Yep that's exactly what most do. Very simple and straightforward way to do it.

There's these 100 dollar ones at target that I guess do as good as a job as the Apple pen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep that's exactly what most do. Very simple and straightforward way to do it.

There's these 100 dollar ones at target that I guess do as good as a job as the Apple pen.

perfect, thanks for the fast response

Reactions: 1 user
Do the individual bedrooms in CT have locks? Like I know the apartment itself has a lock, but will my bedroom lock or not?

Do the individual bedrooms in CT have locks? Like I know the apartment itself has a lock, but will my bedroom lock or not?

Yes. There’s a typical lock from the inside but you won’t be able to lock from the outside unless you use a quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got off the wait list!
Dang, what is that like for you? You probably have so many arrangements to make before orientation in 12 days.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Also, congrats on getting in, I look forward to being your classmate and colleague.

Yeah. It's going to be wild. I'm trying to find housing now. Any recommendations?
Dang, what is that like for you? You probably have so many arrangements to make before orientation in 12 days.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Also, congrats on getting in, I look forward to being your classmate and colleague.

Yeah. It's going to be wild. I'm trying to find housing now. Any recommendations?
Well, i'll be living in CT which I like and that was my preferred living situation. If you dont mind living in basically student housing, I think its a great deal. If you find a roommate (you have to find your own, they don't match you) you can get a place for less than $500 a month which is dope compared to where I come from. The only thing with CT is that i think they may have filled up, but I would still try submiting an application. There may also be people who have a room in CT but are still looking for a roommate, that's probably your best bet for finding a place to live. I would post in the facebook group for our class, and ask if someone is searching for a roommate.

Other options are available but since i wanted CT I didn't really explore them, however others have discussed different housing options in this thread at length so a quick read of past posts would probably give you all the info you need.

Best of luck and if there is anything else you need or any questions you wanna ask, I'm more than happy to help you out if I can.

I've always studied for exams from the lecture PowerPoint notes and when I was in my undergrad I hardly ever read textbooks as I found them to be really time consuming.

For exams at KCU, at least during the first year, can all the testable material be found in lecture slides from the prof (ie. everything we need to know is discussed in lectures) or will we be responsible for knowing material that is found in our textbooks but was never discussed in lecture?

@SynapticDoctah @AlteredScale

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a dream (nightmare really) last night that it was a week into class and for some reason I decided to take Step 1 and bombed it. What is wrong with me lol.

For exams at KCU, at least during the first year, can all the testable material be found in lecture slides from the prof (ie. everything we need to know is discussed in lectures) or will we be responsible for knowing material that is found in our textbooks b

It is different for each course. For biochemisty, you will want to make sure you read the textbook because a lot of the testable material comes from the book. For immunology you can use the slides only. For the rest of the courses up until the last two courses at the end of the year, you can use the slides as well, but I would suggest getting Costanzo Physiology and reading that as well.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I am looking for a one bedroom apartment for around 700-1000. Could anyone steer me in a direction to find a reasonable priced apartment that is in a great area and fairly close to the school?

So other than the biochemistry book what others are must haves in hard copy?

Olingers Anatomy Book has been suggested as well as Robbins.

Personally, this is what I got as a hard copy: First Aid, Biochem, BRS physio. Robbins and CMMRS later on at the end of first year.

I am looking for a one bedroom apartment for around 700-1000. Could anyone steer me in a direction to find a reasonable priced apartment that is in a great area and fairly close to the school?
I'm sure you already know Century Towers which is right next to it.

I live at City View Apartments which is 5-10 minutes away from school in North Kansas City. Very nice area that is happening with the local breweries and coffee shops. I pay 1000 exactly for a 1bd/1bt which includes water. There is a studio that is a hundred less but it doesn't have a separate bedroom. I really like the area. Parks are right next to it, grocery stores are 5 minutes away, and you're not too far from downtown but you avoid the hustle and bustle of it. It's very quaint here at night.

Hey, any current students can chime in on the accuracy of when the student loans get credited into your account? Does it go to our KCU account or does it go to the bank that we provided the routing number for?

Hey, any current students can chime in on the accuracy of when the student loans get credited into your account? Does it go to our KCU account or does it go to the bank that we provided the routing number for?

All the money first goes to your KCU account, the school takes out costs like tuition then give you whats left into the bank account you linked to the school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm paying 930 per month for a one bedroom with a patio
Denton seems like a good bet. I wasn't a fan of East 9 floorplan and I also didn't like having to pay for parking on top of the apartment. It is pretty convenient if you don't want to drive to far to campus.

How is everyone paying for school?
I'm taking unsub and grad plus loans. Is anyone needing to take out additional loans, if so, how so and from where?

How is everyone paying for school?
I'm taking unsub and grad plus loans. Is anyone needing to take out additional loans, if so, how so and from where?
That's about it that I took out. I also did max because eff it lol

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still unsure where to go to pay my tuition. Can anyone with a link send it to me?

I'm still unsure where to go to pay my tuition. Can anyone with a link send it to me?
I was under the impression that the loans taken out from the government go to the KCU account and get paid automatically before classes start.

Unless you are paying by pocket then I kind of envy you and your zero interest rates.

Reactions: 2 users
I was under the impression that the loans taken out from the government go to the KCU account and get paid automatically before classes start.

Unless you are paying by pocket then I kind of envy you and your zero interest rates.

Yeah, I can't afford to pay the whole thing for the first semester out of pocked haha, but I figured it's better to pay what little I had saved up from working towards tuition first. It isn't enough to cover the first semester at all but it'll mean I need to take out slightly fewer loans which means less interest in the long run. I'm still taking loans out too tho.

So yeah, where can I go and pay a little of the tuition out of pocket.

Can anyone who lives at CT let me know of their printing rules? I heard it's free printing but we just have to supply our own paper. Also, is it both color and black/white printing?

Can anyone who lives at CT let me know of their printing rules? I heard it's free printing but we just have to supply our own paper. Also, is it both color and black/white printing?

There is free printing in the library so long as there is ink in the printer (replaced by the office, it was a bit spotty first year - there often wasn't ink when I tried to print things, but I heard it got better this year). You just have to bring your own paper and it's only black and white. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This has probably been asked but my parents just informed me that they will help me with a laptop. I've never owned a computer so I'm totally unsure on what do get. Any recommendations??

This has probably been asked but my parents just informed me that they will help me with a laptop. I've never owned a computer so I'm totally unsure on what do get. Any recommendations??

Macs will last forever and are the most reliable. Microsoft Surface line (book and pro) will give you the versatility of being able to write on the screen. Razer blade stealth is a pretty spec'd out computer that will allow you to game. Dell XPS and Lenovo YOGA are good options for just sturdy laptops. It all kind of depends on how you plan on using your computer the most and then of course how much you are willing to spend on it.

What is your budget for the computer? The general public seems to be Mac crazy even though they are 1k over priced for what the top end specs are compared to PCs. If you want a good, reliable laptop your best bet is to go with something like a Dell XPS or HP x360 Spectre (which I just bought). If you're looking for something high end with top of the line specs for gaming or software development (which I'm guessing you're not) the high end Dell laptops or a Surface book with maxed out specs is your best bet. Lastly, if you want a solid computer at a more reasonable price the Lenovo YOGA or Samsung makes some good ones (spacing their names) that aren't flashy, but solidly built at a good price.

Didn't really touch on hybrid computers like surface pro since we get iPads, but you could go that route as well!

Here are the minimum specs that I recommend as a tech enthusiast:
6GB RAM
256 GB Solid State Hard Drive (SSD) or 1TB HDD (Strongly prefer SSD as they run a lot faster)
i3 processor or above (Don't go with pentium chips, they aren't as good. AMD chips can be good, but the nomenclature is a bit more complicated and not worth learning)
14 or greater inch screen

Nice, but not required features:
Backlit keyboard
Video Card with 1+ GB RAM
Lower weight
Touch Screen
Matte Screen (Reflective is just annoying in high lighting areas. Don't do it)
USB type C ports
8+ GB RAM
SD Card Reader

Recommended Brands:
ASUS - Mac quality builds, cheaper price
Lenovo - better specs, slightly worse build quality, lower price.

Look at reviews for the laptop, if the curve of the stars is exponential as it goes from 1 to 5, it is probably good. If it makes a U-Shape, avoid it; usually that indicates problems on the manufacturing side. Prefer laptops with a lot of reviews, 500+ is usually good. 1 review is simply not enough to make an informed decision.

Don't worry about battery life, chances are you'll be plugged in most of the time and it won't matter.

Following these rules, you should get a computer that can last you throughout med school and a little beyond. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thank you all for the great advice!!! My budget max is $1400. So I assume with that price I should be able to get the computers you guys/girls listed.

Also, what is the best place to go to buy laptops?

Best bet to start would be Best Buy. Generally they have a good selection that can give you a starting point and then price/review check online. To me there's something to be said about actually seeing a laptop before buying it!

Missouri has a no tax day on electronics. Look into when that is

ImageUploadedBySDN1500588093.981590.jpg

Thank you all for the great advice!!! My budget max is $1400. So I assume with that price I should be able to get the computers you guys/girls listed.
just buy a budget laptop in the price range of 200-400.

they become obsolete in a matter of 2-3 years anyways.

Tax free weekend is Aug 4-6. It also includes clothing and other school supplies!