Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you buy furniture when you got to KC? If so, were there still a lot of students selling things like couches, lamps, TV stand, etc?

Yes everything is being sold by moving medical students. I found everything through that,Craigslist, and IKEA :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yes everything is being sold by moving medical students. I found everything through that,Craigslist, and IKEA :)

Thanks for the input! Did students continue to sell furniture even in late July? I'm not seeing that many posts on the fb page and the furniture gets sold pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! Did students continue to sell furniture even in late July? I'm not seeing that many posts on the fb page and the furniture gets sold pretty quickly.

Yep! There was still stuff being sold but I'd start talking around asap.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha thanks but I'm looking for a couch, small table, lamps :)

I bought a lot of my furniture from previous students and had them place it in a storage unit at CT for me. Anything I didn't find from a student, I just bought elsewhere during orientation week. A lot of us are within days of taking boards at the moment, but I'm sure as soon as people start moving for rotations, more and more will be posted! I have several things that still haven't been sold that I'm planning on posting after my exams. So I'm sure a lot of people will be doing the same!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

which Robbins book is everyone talking about? i see that everyone has recommended a hard copy of it but its not listed on the official list and i'm not sure which one to get lol

which Robbins book is everyone talking about? i see that everyone has recommended a hard copy of it but its not listed on the official list and i'm not sure which one to get lol
Based on what upperclassmen are selling it's this one

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was accepted to KCU in February and have been a long time lurker on this forum but haven't made an SDN account until just now. I am on the Facebook group for incoming students however.

The reason I finally have posted here is that I am having a little bit of dilemma and don't know what to do. Sunday night was my going away party before I move to KC this Friday. My friends put on a fun get together for me, but they kind of screwed me over at the end. I've been staunchly against marijuana for as long as we've know each other but they all smoke pot, which is fine with me, it's their life, they can do what they want, I'm just not into it. At the end of my going away party my few closest friends that I've known since I moved to the United States from India as a child (so basically all my life) told me they made me a dessert as a going away gift. We ate the whole thing together and I couldn't believe how great my friends were. Turned out it was a weed brownie and they didn't want me to know. I often hang out with them and am the only person not smoking marijuana and they said before I leave they wanted me to partake.

Long story short, I ended up getting considerably inebriated from the pot brownie. I am still super pissed at them, I really thought they respected my decision and knew where I stood on the issue but apparently I misjudged them. Even till now they don't understand why what they did was wrong, and think it's fine to just do that to somebody without their consent.

Right now, I'm freaking out over the fact that I have marijuana in my system. I'm so scared that KCU has some sort of drug testing policy at the start of the year and that I'll test positive and suffer some sort of terrible repercussion like academic probation or being kicked out of school before I even start. I know med schools stress professionalism in medicine and smoking marijuana is the total opposite of that. What kind of person wants their loved one cared for by some kind of stoner doctor?

I really don't know what to do right now. I'm seriously terrified that I'll be asked to leave school. The administration said they would kick you out if you don't get your titers and hep B shots on time, so I can only imagine what they would do to someone who tests positive for drugs. I also don't really think this is something I could possibly appeal or argue since I don't know if people will believe my story. They'll probably just assume I'm lying.

I did my research and learned that marijuana can be detected for up to two and a half months after last use which is horrible because we start school in like 4 weeks. What should I do if I get drug tested at KCU? Should I just fess up to it now before I get caught? The stress of losing out on my future medical career has been killing me these past few days and on top of that I don't even know if I should still be friends with these guys I've known for so long. I know that most likely nothing will happen, but I just can't stop worrying.

I'll probably delete this post after I figure out what I should do now. Can anyone advice me here???

You are good. No testing. Not sure after M2 and transitioning into clinicals though. If it makes you feel any better, a bunch of my friends of also got accepted to med school and a person who is definitely not me have been smoking dat good relentlessly this summer.

How sure are you of this? Did you ask? I don't mean to seem rude but I don't understand how any other incoming students could know the school's policy on this if they didn't ask about it. Am I missing something?
if you search this thread for "drug test" you'll see that current students say the first time they got drug tested was the end of second year.

How sure are you of this? Did you ask? I don't mean to seem rude but I don't understand how any other incoming students could know the school's policy on this if they didn't ask about it. Am I missing something?

if you search this thread for "drug test" you'll see that current students say the first time they got drug tested was the end of second year.

^ This. I also asked students during the interview about drug tests for incoming students and they told me the same thing.

EDIT: You should also delete the post. I'm pretty sure I already know who you are on the FB group based on saying when you got accepted and by your username lol.

Hello, I was accepted to KCU in February and have been a long time lurker on this forum but haven't made an SDN account until just now. I am on the Facebook group for incoming students however.

The reason I finally have posted here is that I am having a little bit of dilemma and don't know what to do. Sunday night was my going away party before I move to KC this Friday. My friends put on a fun get together for me, but they kind of screwed me over at the end. I've been staunchly against marijuana for as long as we've know each other but they all smoke pot, which is fine with me, it's their life, they can do what they want, I'm just not into it. At the end of my going away party my few closest friends that I've known since I moved to the United States from India as a child (so basically all my life) told me they made me a dessert as a going away gift. We ate the whole thing together and I couldn't believe how great my friends were. Turned out it was a weed brownie and they didn't want me to know. I often hang out with them and am the only person not smoking marijuana and they said before I leave they wanted me to partake.

Long story short, I ended up getting considerably inebriated from the pot brownie. I am still super pissed at them, I really thought they respected my decision and knew where I stood on the issue but apparently I misjudged them. Even till now they don't understand why what they did was wrong, and think it's fine to just do that to somebody without their consent.

Right now, I'm freaking out over the fact that I have marijuana in my system. I'm so scared that KCU has some sort of drug testing policy at the start of the year and that I'll test positive and suffer some sort of terrible repercussion like academic probation or being kicked out of school before I even start. I know med schools stress professionalism in medicine and smoking marijuana is the total opposite of that. What kind of person wants their loved one cared for by some kind of stoner doctor?

I really don't know what to do right now. I'm seriously terrified that I'll be asked to leave school. The administration said they would kick you out if you don't get your titers and hep B shots on time, so I can only imagine what they would do to someone who tests positive for drugs. I also don't really think this is something I could possibly appeal or argue since I don't know if people will believe my story. They'll probably just assume I'm lying.

I did my research and learned that marijuana can be detected for up to two and a half months after last use which is horrible because we start school in like 4 weeks. What should I do if I get drug tested at KCU? Should I just fess up to it now before I get caught? The stress of losing out on my future medical career has been killing me these past few days and on top of that I don't even know if I should still be friends with these guys I've known for so long. I know that most likely nothing will happen, but I just can't stop worrying.

I'll probably delete this post after I figure out what I should do now. Can anyone advice me here???

I concur with what the previous two posters have said. They aren't going to drug test you randomly. In the end you did nothing wrong and I'd be more than a little upset with my friends if they pulled a stunt like this. See ya in three weeks!

As others have said above, you're good. Also, like @Mr. D.O.five mentioned, you should delete your post asap. You never know who could be reading this

Just moved to KCMO this weekend :)

Bought a mattress and some small household items. Moving is hard!

Reactions: 6 users
Damn, I'm planning on moving in the 20th. Hope I'm not too late to join the party. I'd like to hang out with some of you guys before orientation!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm flying in the 24th. Granted I already bought a bed from someone, but then again, that's all I'm going to have aside the clothes I'm bringing in.

Anybody gave feedback on the Lang Pharmacology Flashcards? I've seen them a lot on the FB page and could definitely see pre-made pharm flash cards being useful as long as they aren't lacking info or too detailed.

I know they won't be necessary until much later, I'm just curious

Anybody gave feedback on the Lang Pharmacology Flashcards? I've seen them a lot on the FB page and could definitely see pre-made pharm flash cards being useful as long as they aren't lacking info or too detailed.

I know they won't be necessary until much later, I'm just curious

They are a bit much but they add some depth to the drugs by giving clinical vignettes to each drug. If you're gunna use them def use them beginning of M2

I've been running down the textbook list and found alternative texts. Does it matter if I use texts from different authors covering the same subject (such using Langman's medical embryology instead of the suggested Keith's Developing Human text)?

I've been running down the textbook list and found alternative texts. Does it matter if I use texts from different authors covering the same subject (such using Langman's medical embryology instead of the suggested Keith's Developing Human text)?

Nah It won't matter. the material tested is from PowerPoint slides anyways.

Are the work study positions informal or something? I emailed financial aid today asking about how to get in contact someone about it and they said they don't do work study

Is it too late to purchase the medical supplies from KCU? :confused: I procrastinated and then thought I could just purchase them online, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which brands I should purchase... Oh, and 20 more days till orientation!!!! AHH, soooo nervous :barf:

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm at the mall shopping for a backpack and I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for?

Are we transporting a lot of books or material or whatever from home to class typically? As in I should look for something more heavy duty.

Or are students usually bringing very few things with them each day to school meaning I could just grab something light like a small jansport

What is the last day of school? I mean in terms of when is the earliest date I can fly back home and that there will be no school-related tasks to complete/things to attend? Thanks!

What is the last day of school? I mean in terms of when is the earliest date I can fly back home and that there will be no school-related tasks to complete/things to attend? Thanks!

We don't have the finalized schedules in yet so can't really say expect them during orientation.

So I'm at the mall shopping for a backpack and I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for?

Are we transporting a lot of books or material or whatever from home to class typically? As in I should look for something more heavy duty.

Or are students usually bringing very few things with them each day to school meaning I could just grab something light like a small jansport

Most leave their books at home to study. You really don't need them for class but if you are planning to study at school get a decent backpack that will hold up. You don't need some heavy duty camping style backpack even with lugging around big Robbins.

Thanks! such a fast reply haha. Hmm what would be the "for sure" date? like December 23rd?

As of now, the academic calendar from the Matriculation page for OMS1 (COM Matriculation), it lists that our fall semester lasts from July 31st, 2017 to Dec 20th, 2017. Spring semester is January 8th, 2018 to June 20th, 2018. However as @AlteredScale said, there may be changes.

Just left California to drive there! Gonna be a long two days lol

How was the drive? I'm planning my drive from California to KC pretty shortly. Just wondering how many hours you drove each day and which cities/towns you stopped in at night. I'm gonna be driving by myself so no one to trade off driving and sleeping with unfortunately.

How was the drive? I'm planning my drive from California to KC pretty shortly. Just wondering how many hours you drove each day and which cities/towns you stopped in at night. I'm gonna be driving by myself so no one to trade off driving and sleeping with unfortunately.

I did it the quicker, but much less fun way. I drove 13 hours the first day to Grand Junction, CO and then the remaining 12 hours to KC the following day. It really depends on how you wanna do it. I've made the drive in 3 days from the Midwest and while it takes a little longer, you don't feel as drained!

I did it the quicker, but much less fun way. I drove 13 hours the first day to Grand Junction, CO and then the remaining 12 hours to KC the following day. It really depends on how you wanna do it. I've made the drive in 3 days from the Midwest and while it takes a little longer, you don't feel as drained!

Totally know what you mean man. I was drained. Just got done moving in today.

You guys are all moving in and I'm still trying to find an apartment :( I can't figure out where to live....

You guys are all moving in and I'm still trying to find an apartment :( I can't figure out where to live....
don't worry mate, i won't be reaching KC until midnight the Tuesday before orientation starts lol

don't worry mate, i won't be reaching KC until midnight the Tuesday before orientation starts lol
I thought I was the only one!!! I'm coming into KC Monday afternoon before orientation on Wednesday, and I still don't have an apartment picked out :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

I thought I was the only one!!! I'm coming into KC Monday afternoon before orientation on Wednesday, and I still don't have an apartment picked out :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
Check out Marketstation apartments. In a cool part of town, 4 minute drive from campus, and nice amenities and rooms.

Reactions: 1 users

If you don't mind about a 15-20 minute drive (all on I29), I'd check out Riverstone apartments! In the Zona rosa area with tons of shopping and restaurants and lots of green space if you have pets!

Thanks a lot you guys!! I will look into both those apartments. I really appreciate the advice since I'm not from KC and unfortunately won't be able to come to KC before move in date.

Thanks a lot you guys!! I will look into both those apartments. I really appreciate the advice since I'm not from KC and unfortunately won't be able to come to KC before move in date.

I had to pick a different apartment without seeing it and while it's not ideal there's enough pictures and whatnot out there to help you get an idea. If you want to live in/around downtown it'll cost you around 1100-1550 for a single room, but if you live in the northern areas out of downtown you can get a killer apartment for 700-1000 a month!