Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm def getting a new laptop. I've had my 2010 MBP for 7 years and I think I'm due for an upgrade.
Honestly, if you can figure out how to drop in a SSD, it should still work just fine for you.
Will an SSD fix the fact that my 2010 MBP is slower than anything right now? I was planning on buying a whole new laptop before classes start

Members don't see this ad.

Will an SSD fix the fact that my 2010 MBP is slower than anything right now? I was planning on buying a whole new laptop before classes start

You should try replacing ram before investing on an SSD if you decide to go that route.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know what specific specialties that the clinical tracks for 3rd year are for?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know what specific specialties that the clinical tracks for 3rd year are for?
Currently: Community Medicine (this is a really cool track as you will do your rotations at designated underserved areas of urban KC), ObGyn, Surgery, Ortho Surgery, EM, Peds, Psych, IM. I believe there is FM as well.

Currently: Community Medicine (this is a really cool track as you will do your rotations at designated underserved areas of urban KC), ObGyn, Surgery, Ortho Surgery, EM, Peds, Psych, IM. I believe there is FM as well.
cool thanks! does it require a certain GPA and how many students can do it per class?

cool thanks! does it require a certain GPA and how many students can do it per class?

This year they took 5-8 students per track. Some tracks were more popular and had more students in them (surgery, ortho, IM, EM) Others, like the psych and community tracks, had less students.

The GPA cutoff to apply for a track was 3.5, but some of the more competitive tracks had higher average GPAs. You also have to do an interview before being selected.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This year they took 5-8 students per track. Some tracks were more popular and had more students in them (surgery, ortho, IM, EM) Others, like the psych and community tracks, had less students.

The GPA cutoff to apply for a track was 3.5, but some of the more competitive tracks had higher average GPAs. You also have to do an interview before being selected.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
What do these specific tracks entail exactly? Just more rotations in that specific specialty? I'm interested in EM so other than gpa is there anything else required for that specific track.

You should try replacing ram before investing on an SSD if you decide to go that route.
So long as he has 4+GB of RAM, a SSD will do more to increase performance.

Reactions: 1 users

Do you think Community Medicine track would be a good stepping stone towards Loan forgiveness programs for those who work 5-10 years or w/e in a rural setting?Just curious

Is KCU-COM grading system on exams based on a curve? and how many classes are P/F versus letter grade?

Curved to an 85. 1 class is P/F (bioethics), rest is A-F

Do you think Community Medicine track would be a good stepping stone towards Loan forgiveness programs for those who work 5-10 years or w/e in a rural setting?Just curious

Curved to an 85. 1 class is P/F (bioethics), rest is A-F

I believe if you contact NHSC and tell them that's what you did in terms of clinical rotations it'll be easier to get into that scholarship program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do these specific tracks entail exactly? Just more rotations in that specific specialty? I'm interested in EM so other than gpa is there anything else required for that specific track.

Right now, it basically just means some of your rotations are tailored to that specialty. So if you are in the peds track your preceptor would be a pediatric surgeon during your surgery block.

That and being able to network in a specific specialty is the plus about the track. L

Right, my MBP is slower than the time it takes for my ex to text back (it's been 4 years and counting lolwut)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've totally blanked since interview day, what kinds of opportunities are there for clinical exposure?

Dat feel when I look at max loans...
Well shoot, I'm going to have zero outside help for any monetary expenses so I thought, might as well take out the max.

Does the school ever administer drug tests for any reason? As a marijuana aficionado, I just wanna know if I should kick the habit before school?

Do any of the current med Students smoke pot? (It's a total coincidence that I'm asking this on 4/20 haha)

Does the school ever administer drug tests for any reason? As a marijuana aficionado, I just wanna know if I should kick the habit before school?

Do any of the current med Students smoke pot? (It's a total coincidence that I'm asking this on 4/20 haha)

Speaking as one future medical professional to another, I feel that it would be unwise for you to continue. You might take a look at what the American College of Cardiology has to say about marijuana use.

Haven't heard of a drug test for pre clinical. End of second year has been the first time we have had a drug test.

Couple quick questions about the loan awards fam:

1) I had completed the MPNs before even getting the award notification, but it says "Not Received" on the portal. I assume there's no harm in just doing it again?

2) where exactly do we accept the award and exactly how much we want to use? As I understand it, the wording on the MPN is how much "could" you see yourself having to use as opposed to how much "will" you use? So just wondering where exactly we can specify that amount and where we accept our offers?

3) is there a date by which the awards have to be accepted by? (Haven't decided how much I want to take out and not gunna get the chance to figure it out for at least a few days as I'm gunna be working

Thanks in advance

Hi. Has anyone received their financial aid award letter yet via email?
Also, do we have to complete the entrance counseling and sign the MPNs listed on KCU NET online application before we get our award letter? All i've done is submit my fafsa and filled out the KCU application online, but when I logged in yesterday there are three new documents listed for the counseling and MPN that i havent submitted yet. Not sure if I have to do that before I get the award letter email?

Hi. Has anyone received their financial aid award letter yet via email?
Also, do we have to complete the entrance counseling and sign the MPNs listed on KCU NET online application before we get our award letter? All i've done is submit my fafsa and filled out the KCU application online, but when I logged in yesterday there are three new documents listed for the counseling and MPN that i havent submitted yet. Not sure if I have to do that before I get the award letter email?

Yes you must complete counseling and MPN asap to receive those awards.

Yes you must complete counseling and MPN asap to receive those awards.

Hi, thanks for your quicky reply! A few additional question:
Still relatively new to taking out loans...but I was under the impression that I would sign the MPN AFTER I was given my award letter so that I know how much I would be receiving and decide if i want to accept it all.
Also, does signing the MPN mean I am signing to accept the loan that KCU awards me? I am also still waiting to hear back from a few other schools I am waitlisted at and am not sure if signing the MPN means i am forced to accept the KCU financial aid awarded to me

Hi, thanks for your quicky reply! A few additional question:
Still relatively new to taking out loans...but I was under the impression that I would sign the MPN AFTER I was given my award letter so that I know how much I would be receiving and decide if i want to accept it all.
Also, does signing the MPN mean I am signing to accept the loan that KCU awards me? I am also still waiting to hear back from a few other schools I am waitlisted at and am not sure if signing the MPN means i am forced to accept the KCU financial aid awarded to me

The MPN is more like "I promise to pay these back" and is not directed through the school. That's why yo complete the MPN through FAFSA and not the KCU website!

The MPN is more like "I promise to pay these back" and is not directed through the school. That's why yo complete the MPN through FAFSA and not the KCU website!

Just finished my Entrance Counseling and two MPNs.
Is there anything else I need to do?

Do you get an email that prompts you to fill out an MPN? Or where do I go to complete this exactly?

Do you get an email that prompts you to fill out an MPN? Or where do I go to complete this exactly?
You have to go through your acceptance email, find your student ID, then find the email that had the NetPartner link, think login there, and then you will see if you need to submit the initial fafsa (if you have done this, it will prompt you to complete further counseling/MPNs).

Can anyone tell me more about the school's curriculum? Is it P/F, graded?

You have to go through your acceptance email, find your student ID, then find the email that had the NetPartner link, think login there, and then you will see if you need to submit the initial fafsa (if you have done this, it will prompt you to complete further counseling/MPNs).

Can anyone tell me more about the school's curriculum? Is it P/F, graded?
Immediately after I posted that I read a few posts above and it told me lol but thank you
At accepted students day they said us letter grade currently but they are looking into switching to P/F with a rank system to better line up with MD schools post merger

I see my financial aid rewards on the net partner website and I dont know how to accept them or to put in how much I want from them. Anyone know how?

I often hear that if you treat medical school like a job, you'll be fine. If I focus on school from 8-5, 6
I see my financial aid rewards on the net partner website and I dont know how to accept them or to put in how much I want from them. Anyone know how?
i see a similar thing but I also see that I have two outstanding things I need to give them which are both MPN's. Maybe after that is complete we can accept the money and choose how much of it we want

What are the deposit deadlines? Just wondering if there will be any more movement...

not sure if anyone has already answered this, but any whispers or rumors as to what ipad we'll be getting this year? looking into getting a SP4 for note-taking, but no point in getting it if the ipad we get can do the trick.

@SynapticDoctah @AlteredScale ?

For Stafford loans? I think when you apply on FAFSA, they automatically give you the max right? I think it's around 44k. For Grad PLUS, you specify the intended amount you want when you are filling out the application. Other than that, I don't know if you are able to increase or reduce the FA award after that. I'd talk to KCU Fin Aid. My awards have already been posted, decided to take out max for the first year and see how I do, then budget down the next 3 years.

When do we get our school email?

I think somebody said it was during orientation week.

That being said, I would love to receive it earlier than that.. I can't wait to get rid of my old e-mail addresses!

Last edited:
I think somebody said it was during orientation week.

That being said, I would love to receive it earlier than that.. I can't wait to get rid of my old e-mail addresses!

[email protected] doesn't sound so bad! ;) LOL (hopefully that wasn't your actually email otherwise I'll delete it!)

[email protected] doesn't sound so bad! ;) LOL (hopefully that wasn't your actually email otherwise I'll delete it!)

Haha no you're good.

I still have an aol mail from when I was in middle school (I'm probably their last remaining user, lol) that has accumulated a plethora of wonderful spam mail over the years and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

I see the same thing when i login to my net partner account and click on the tab "Loans at KCU." It says award type then lists the grad plus and unsubsidized stafford loans. There is no option to accept the award though? I also didnt receive an email saying my award letter was ready yet either (not sure if that matters).

@AlteredScale Would you be able to help? How/when can we accept our aid and is there an option to reduce the amount we actually take out?

I see the same thing when i login to my net partner account and click on the tab "Loans at KCU." It says award type then lists the grad plus and unsubsidized stafford loans. There is no option to accept the award though? I also didnt receive an email saying my award letter was ready yet either (not sure if that matters).

@AlteredScale Would you be able to help? How/when can we accept our aid and is there an option to reduce the amount we actually take out?

wondering the same

Maybe it's just because my family is poor and white trash, but this white coat ceremony sounds like it will literally be the classiest event i've ever been to. My interview was the first time I ever wore a suit lol.
wondering the same
Me three.