Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm creating my account to submit my immunization records and the site is making me pay 55$ is that what we have to pay? I'm super confused why we have to pay money just to upload documents to a website...Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong here.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm creating my account to submit my immunization records and the site is making me pay 55$ is that what we have to pay? I'm super confused why we have to pay money just to upload documents to a website...Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong here.

That is correct. It's $55 for SentryMD to organize your documents and send KC the OK on your immunizations, health insurance, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ya unfortunately you have to pay the $55.00, you are paying for an immunization tracking service, so it's a little more comprehensive than paying for a place to keep necessary medical forms. I'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure that this service will come in handy when starting 3rd year/setting up away rotations 4th year so that all of our immunizations are in one place and can easily be verified by the hospitals we will rotate at in the future

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Robbins. First Aid. Paninis MedBiochem. BRS Physio. Those are the essentials!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I would add Costanzo physio. I used this book in every block between MSK and neuro.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm seeing sets on Ebay for $70. Obviously it's not Welch Allyn or anything but it seems to be alright quality.

My husband bought his kit on amazon for ~100 when he was a student (he's in residency now). It's off-brand but it works fine. Outside of school, he's only used it a couple times, but it's been nice to have if his sister or someone gets an ear infection. I'm planning on using his.

ImageUploadedBySDN1492104669.978584.jpg

My husband bought his kit on amazon for ~100 when he was a student (he's in residency now). It's off-brand but it works fine. Outside of school, he's only used it a couple times, but it's been nice to have if his sister or someone gets an ear infection. I'm planning on using his.

View attachment 217746

Thanks I'll check it out! And then what else in the med equipment kit is needed? Just a tuning fork and BP cuff?

Is there a chipotle nearby? Need to support my gainz if I am to attend this fine institution...(In KC)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need a printer as a student at this school? I'm fairly certain the answer is no but I just wanna double check

Is there a facebook group for accepted students? Couldnt seem to find one besides just the schools page. Guess I shoudl start looking for roomates/places to live

Ok so i'm about to submit my immunization stuff but under Tdap vaccine it wants a Lot # and Exp date. I have proof saying the date I got the tdap but there is no lot # or exp date, should I just forget it? or do I have to have that?

Ok so i'm about to submit my immunization stuff but under Tdap vaccine it wants a Lot # and Exp date. I have proof saying the date I got the tdap but there is no lot # or exp date, should I just forget it? or do I have to have that?
I'm pretty sure that whenever a provider gives you a vaccine they have to record the lot # and expiration date for that vaccine, so if you don't have that information check to see if your provider has that information. I used the old forms for my immunizations and all they wanted was the date the immunization was administered and my provider signed off on it. Since the old forms are still being accepted, if your provider doesn't have that info available you could just fill out the old paperwork and then fill out parts I, II, and IV of the new forms and submit everything and you should be good to go (that's what I did since I had filled out all the immunization paperwork with the old forms beforehand and it was accepted without any issues).

Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty sure that whenever a provider gives you a vaccine they have to record the lot # and expiration date for that vaccine, so if you don't have that information check to see if your provider has that information. I used the old forms for my immunizations and all they wanted was the date the immunization was administered and my provider signed off on it. Since the old forms are still being accepted, if your provider doesn't have that info available you could just fill out the old paperwork and then fill out parts I, II, and IV of the new forms and submit everything and you should be good to go (that's what I did since I had filled out all the immunization paperwork with the old forms beforehand and it was accepted without any issues).
I got the shot through a hospital I was employed at in 2014. They sent me the document but it doesn't have lot # or anything. Just the vaccine date. I guess I'll call them and email admissions.

I got the shot through a hospital I was employed at in 2014. They sent me the document but it doesn't have lot # or anything. Just the vaccine date. I guess I'll call them and email admissions.
Ya def call employee health or whoever administered the shot, they are supposed to keep the lot number and vaccine exp date in case there is a recall/you have an adverse reaction upon administration so they can report the reaction to the CDC/vaccine manufacturer. If they don't have the info like I said you could just fill out the old forms for the vaccine info and submit them (https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...JjgwCRedlrjG0DG8fEpXYZrb9oCrRiIqQrwMmtDCA&s=1)

Does anyone just use the iPad they give you without a computer for studying etc?

You think it would be Overkill to get a computer? I've been debating whether I should or not.

I think it is good to have because it's a lot easier to have the iPad as a note taking tool while you watch the lectures on a computer. You could def do that on campus computers.

You think it would be Overkill to get a computer? I've been debating whether I should or not.
Personally, I can't imagine only using an iPad for 4 years. I plan on getting a convertible laptop/tablet combo like the Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 no matter where I go. Most tablets just feel like using a really, really big phone which just feels awkward for anything but reading/watching videos.

I've printed about 9 times in total for the whole two years. Everything is ipad.

and I print a tooooooooooooooooooooooooooon of stuff, study guides, OSCEs (our OMM guides), all my notes, etc
just depends how you study

I interviewed on 3/7 and got a waitlist email last Friday. I was a little surprised and bummed because I thought the interview went very well, I'm from KC, have decent stats (3.62 GPA and 508 MCAT), and lots of clinical experience. I guess it's just really late in the cycle at this point. Anyone know how likely the waitlist is to move?

I interviewed on 3/7 and got a waitlist email last Friday. I was a little surprised and bummed because I thought the interview went very well, I'm from KC, have decent stats (3.62 GPA and 508 MCAT), and lots of clinical experience. I guess it's just really late in the cycle at this point. Anyone know how likely the waitlist is to move?
I have similar stats (slightly lower GPA) and felt the same way. I think they ran out of spots or had very limited spots to offer our interview group. I'm thinking that there will be quite a bit of movement because of people not wanting to go to Joplin. Who knows about the movement for the KC campus tho.

I'm def getting a new laptop. I've had my 2010 MBP for 7 years and I think I'm due for an upgrade.

Is KCU-COM grading system on exams based on a curve? and how many classes are P/F versus letter grade?

Does anybody know if the stamp is required on the immunization sheet. My PCP signed it but didn't stamp it.