Kansas City University, Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to KCU-Joplin! Interview group 2/16

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted today as well! I interviewed 2/15. Super excited!:soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"It is expected that second-year classes will take place in the Learning Studio. The curriculum will include and incorporate group learning opportunities to enhance overall learning."

So does it mean the second year curriculum will not be lecture-based but more like PBL?

Thought I'd give you guys a wonderful </sarcasm> view of the new campus. The white car you see is a security guard that looked like he wasn't going to let me stop and get a good picture :/
IMG_20170307_171218.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Thought I'd give you guys a wonderful </sarcasm> view of the new campus. The white car you see is a security guard that looked like he wasn't going to let me stop and get a good picture :/View attachment 215912

LMAO!!!
Wasn't it an old hospital that got destroyed by a tornado?

Mercy built a temporary hospital there while they were building the current location. They donated the temporary building for KCU to make the medical school.

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of concrete information on extracurricular opportunities (both in the community and on campus - clinical, volunteer, etc) and lack of information on established programs (clerkships, etc)? I'm choosing between here and another school and though the cost difference is appealing (KCU is much cheaper) I'm concerned that I have no idea what I am getting into. When I interviewed I would have chosen the KC campus over the current other school im accepted to in a heartbeat but a lot of the lack of information on Joplin seems really concerning. Saving a lot of money is a huge plus, but I can't find any information on any actual established opportunities we are going to have in Joplin over the course of the 4 years we are there.

Also, am I reading it right that there is only one lecture hall? what does it mean that as second years we will have class in the Learning Studio? What even is the Learning Studio?

Ugh. I have so many questions and so little time before I have to pay my deposit. lol

Accepted today! Interviewed 2/28.

@hoplesslyhopeful: I'm not too worried about the extracurriculars. I know there are a lot of places that need help in the Joplin area. You will have no problems finding a place to volunteer! As far as clerkships, Mercy and Freeman Health Systems both have established KCU clerkships already, Joplin will simply be folded in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to decide between this campus and VCOM-CC. Have to pay my deposit for here very soon if I want to save my spot. Not sure. I know KCU in general is more established and I reeeealllly loved the main campus but I just don't know about Joplin. Any thoughts?

Do you have any specific questions about Joplin that I could help answer?

@vrachy_now Clinical rotations probably won't be a big problem. I know that KCU already has arrangements with Freeman and Mercy Health Systems in Joplin for their KC campus. Those rotations will be opened up for the Joplin campus once we reach our MS3 year. Joplin is a major hospital hub in Southwest Missouri so we see a lot of different cases here. I worked at Freeman for a year and a half in the inpatient pharmacy, so I can attest to that. I am not sure when it comes to research opportunities. I know that there is an organic chemistry professor at MSSU that does some clinical research and might be interested in medical student researchers. That is just off the top of my head and I have no idea if it would actually happen. As far as job outlook, I may actually have a decent idea. I have a lot of friends in different fields. It really just depends on your SO's field.

Has anyone received any info about Joplin campus Admitted Student day? I thought by now we would have received more details from the school.

Has anyone received any info about Joplin campus Admitted Student day? I thought by now we would have received more details from the school.

I received an email saying that May 13th would be the accepted students day

They are probably waiting until they have it completely planned before they send out more info.

@vrachy_now Clinical rotations probably won't be a big problem. I know that KCU already has arrangements with Freeman and Mercy Health Systems in Joplin for their KC campus. Those rotations will be opened up for the Joplin campus once we reach our MS3 year. Joplin is a major hospital hub in Southwest Missouri so we see a lot of different cases here. I worked at Freeman for a year and a half in the inpatient pharmacy, so I can attest to that. I am not sure when it comes to research opportunities. I know that there is an organic chemistry professor at MSSU that does some clinical research and might be interested in medical student researchers. That is just off the top of my head and I have no idea if it would actually happen. As far as job outlook, I may actually have a decent idea. I have a lot of friends in different fields. It really just depends on your SO's field.

Speaking on research opportunities: KCU-Joplin will not have any dedicated basic science labs there. However with the precedence of the AOA/ACGME merger the residences in Joplin under the Freeman Health System will not have an increase push to perform more scholarly activity within their programs. This means more opportunities for students there to work with them and put out clinical research whether that be a case report, retro, prospective. I don't believe Freeman Health is a Clinical Trial Center but it may become one in the future.

COB student here. Accepted two days ago. Any fellow HPSP recipients attending here??

COB student here. Accepted two days ago. Any fellow HPSP recipients attending here??

Congrats! I'll be attending with a HPSP and according to the accepted student Facebook page theres at least a few other students as well.

I won't be able to make the May 13th Accepted Student Date. Will there be any other days we could be able to visit the campus?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a date scheduled soon to visit the joplin campus?

I just talked with an admission person (Rachael??) about this. She said they are waiting for construction to finish before the do tours/visits to Joplin campus. She was unable to give me a date due to the uncertainty of when construction will finish but did say that they would send an email invite when they are up and running.

@AlteredScale Hi, do you know if KCU typically has alternative days to visit campus during the Summer prior to matriculating? I will not be able to make the current May 13th date set for accepted student day and was wondering if KCU has other options for students that cant make that day?
Will I be missing much by not being at the accepted student day?
Thanks!

@AlteredScale Hi, do you know if KCU typically has alternative days to visit campus during the Summer prior to matriculating? I will not be able to make the current May 13th date set for accepted student day and was wondering if KCU has other options for students that cant make that day?
Will I be missing much by not being at the accepted student day?
Thanks!

Biggest thing you'll be missing is some bomb BBQ. You can call admin and ask to visit to walk around the school and I'm sure they will accommodate you :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to all of you!

Hi, does anyone know if there is a schedule available for days off/breaks/ending of semesters etc. Also any information on what will be available to us on campus? Gym, food, study areas, etc?

I was also blown away by just how nice the campus is, and I live in town! I didn't realize how much different people in town donated to the campus to make it what it is!

Last cycle, I got waitlisted with my 494 and 3.7 graduate GPA (from KCU's program). This cycle I retook the MCAT and got a 501 and I was accepted to the KC campus. Joplin may have a slightly less strict cutoff but I don't think anyone's gotten in to either campus with anything lower than 498 but they had a higher GPA to compensate. (Feel free to contradict me on the specifics)

I'd highly recommend retaking the MCAT and reapplying for next cycle in June.

According to the KCU-KC forum, there are currently 300+ people on the waitlist just to get an interview. As far as I know, all the interview spots have been taken and they're pretty much interviewing for the waitlist.

This last retake makes 5 times I've taken the MCAT. If this is your dream, don't give up. Do what you can to improve your application before the next cycle and retake the MCAT. If anyone understands how horrible it is, it's me. PM me if you want more details, etc.

Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favor.

This gave me so much hope. Literally my hero :)

I'm an ambassador here for KCU and we have been getting some great info regarding the Joplin Campus. With two very strong hospitals nearby with one carrying GME in multiple departments you will have the opportunity to learn and grow much far beyond rural medicine. In fact, there is no emphasis on rural medicine so to speak in the aspect of being the only doc and med student in a town far away.

We have been informed that currently 60% of the match last year was primary cary placement and will continue to fall to the 50% and 45%.
Hey AlteredScale, was just accepted off the waitlist this morning and was looking through this thread. Apologize if this is a dumb question but what is GME? I have never heard of it and was wondering if you could elaborate on what advantages that brings? Thanks!

Hey AlteredScale, was just accepted off the waitlist this morning and was looking through this thread. Apologize if this is a dumb question but what is GME? I have never heard of it and was wondering if you could elaborate on what advantages that brings? Thanks!

General medical education. Simply just having residencies there which allows for a formal teaching process that medical students become a part of (morning report, noon conference, grand rounds, journal club).

Just attended the Accepted Student Day yesterday. Am TOTALLY AMAZED BY THIS NEW CAMPUS. Everything has been designed for the students' comfort and success. They have secured Free gym memberships in Joplin for all med students. There will be a cafeteria with food catered from one of the best chefs in Joplin. Also a lounge with refrigerators and microwaves. The list is endless. There are state of the art anatomy labs and classrooms. Multiple study areas and rooms. All within one huge building. I was SO impressed. The faculty and administration were so gracious and welcoming. I AM SO EXCITED TO BE IN THE INAUGURAL CLASS!
this is great to hear! is there anywhere we can see updated pics of what the campus looks like these days? i missed accepted students day :( and the ones on the website looks more like concept art haha

@TheChosenGuan A couple people posted pictures on the KCU Facebook page from accepted students day. Go check them out!

Can someone attending this location answer my questions if possible please?
Are the anatomy and OMM fellowships available in Joplin?
I believe the dual DO/MA and MBA degrees aren't available at this campus is that correct?
And how do you like the school so far?

Can someone attending this location answer my questions if possible please?
Are the anatomy and OMM fellowships available in Joplin?
I believe the dual DO/MA and MBA degrees aren't available at this campus is that correct?
And how do you like the school so far?

As far as I'm aware, they will be offering the fellowships here in Joplin. We have OMM fellows here this year and they currently cart anatomy fellows from the KC campus.

As far as the dual degrees, they have already meet with us about the bioethics degree which they are 90%sure they are offering. The MBA will probably be here next year if I had to guess.

Also there is a new thread for this year's application, you should check it out!