Just Passed my Comlex, took MCAT 5 times..1st score was a 16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A'int No Holla Back Guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Medical School 3 times.
-undergrad gpa 3.45 science 3.2

Junior year- MCAT scores 16M and 18N( 16 was 5th percentile)-applied to instate MD school-DENIED

Senior year- MCAT score 24M-applied to instate MD school and a few out of state MDs- DENIED

took a year off

The next year- MCATs 23N and 21M-applied to instate MD and 3 DO schools in region.
Got 2 interviews at DOs, waitlisted at both schools, ACCEPTED 3 days before school started

GPA 3.2 in my first 2 years of medical school, while having fun and living life

Just passed my comlex1 with a decent score on first try

Guys, if you want it you can get it. I worked as an EMT for the 3 years after college. That experience has helped tremendously.

If you are not a book nerd, you can be a doctor.
If you are not a genius, you can be a doctor.

Just wanted to post this because I felt it necessary being that I was in your shoes for quite a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users

Junior year- MCAT scores 16M and 18N( 16 was 5th percentile)-applied to instate MD school-DENIED

Senior year- MCAT score 24M-applied to instate MD school and a few out of state MDs- DENIED

took a year off

The next year- MCATs 23N and 21M-applied to instate MD and 3 DO schools in region.
Got 2 interviews at DOs, waitlisted at both schools, ACCEPTED 3 days before school started

Guys, if you want it you can get it. I worked as an EMT for the 3 years after college. That experience has helped tremendously.

Just wanted to post this because I felt it necessary being that I was in your shoes for quite a while.

Congrats on passing! What an accomplishment.

Just curious though, why on earth did you apply to MD schools at ALL with your MCAT scores?

took a year off

Just because you were eventually successful, this is NOT the way to do.

Taking the MCAT multiple times in the same year expecting different results is foolish. Congrats for making it, but no one should expect a similar outcome.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting to this point, which I have no doubt is largely due to your perseverance. But I agree with TG above that your saga is kind of more of a cautionary tale of what not to do rather than an unreserved success story. Be careful about getting cocky again and thinking you've done the hard part just because you've passed Step 1. In spite of what many med students may believe, Step 1 is NOT as tough as the going gets. If others here take anything away from your app experience, the lesson should be that cockiness only gets you into trouble. Which I think answers femme's question also.

Reactions: 1 users
Just because you were eventually successful, this is NOT the way to do.

Taking the MCAT multiple times in the same year expecting different results is foolish
. Congrats for making it, but no one should expect a similar outcome.
I couldn't disagree more

Obviously, I posted this not as a template to success, but as a motivational message.

Please do not try to copy my path.

Please do not give up on your dream.

:highfive:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on getting to this point, which I have no doubt is largely due to your perseverance. But I agree with TG above that your saga is kind of more of a cautionary tale of what not to do rather than an unreserved success story. Be careful about getting cocky again and thinking you've done the hard part just because you've passed Step 1. In spite of what many med students may believe, Step 1 is NOT as tough as the going gets. If others here take anything away from your app experience, the lesson should be that cockiness only gets you into trouble. Which I think answers femme's question also.

Use these kind of humans as motivation.

took a year off

I know this is an older post but thank you, thank you! I was starting to lose hope. I took the MCAT 5 times as well and applied twice. Finally received an interview this cycle and am currently on a waitlist. Praying for a good outcome but I am not sure what to do if this cycle doesn't work out. I know I won't give up on my dream though!

Reactions: 3 users