Just matched IM, planning for fellowship match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Levo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into IM at a small-ish residency program at a county hospital. I'm fairly certain that I want to subspecialize in pulm/cc. The hospital I matched at does have a pulm/cc fellowship in-house that takes a couple of residents per year internally, and a few faculty doing pulm/cc relevant research. What steps can I take starting day 1 of intern year to maximize my chances of successfully matching pulm/cc, either at my home institution or at one of the university programs in the area? Should I try reaching out to the pulm fellowship PD or faculty members involved in research early on? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, be a terrific IM resident. Of course you can reach out to the Pulm guys at your program to let the, know you're interested but in general treat your time there in the IM program as a "3 year interview". If you prove yourself as a reliable and rock solid IM resident whom they enjoy working, is teachable, and gets along with the fellows/attending, then that'll go a long way into potentially securing a spot there.

I was in a somewhat similar position being at a smallish community IM program with a fellowship program in a field I wanted. I ended up staying at my program for fellowship as I proved myself as a strong/reliable IM resident and ultimately programs like a strong "known quantity" over the unknown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Start gunning. Pew pew pew, pew pew pew.

But in all seriousness, be nice, and make sure you don't do anything that upset anyone in your pulm/crit department. Interact with them, show them that you'll fit in with them. Whenever you have a pulm or ICU rotation, be on your A game. And try to snatch a research spot with one of the few pulm/crit people that you mentioned are doing research at your institution.