Just got off waitlist at state school and need help choosing, UF vs Stony Brook??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woozchew123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been all set on attending University of Florida for the past 3 months (my alma mater) but I just got off the waitlist for Stony Brook University (my state school). I have 3 days to decide and I would like any insight/opinions/recommendations/ANYTHING.

To give you a background: I was born and raised on Long Island, NY. I went to UF for undergrad to get the whole college experience and I absolutely loved it.

Throughout the entire application process, I always said Stony Brook was my #1 choice for med school, but I also never even considered UF as a possibility (I didn't think I had a shot at getting in).

**Cost is not a factor, both schools average out to be almost the exact same price when considering living expenses**

U of Florida
Pros
:
- nicer/newer medical school
- higher ranking
- college campus setting (can walk from apartment to class/hospital)
- their students absolutely LOVE it
- P/F curriculum
- weather (can't deny it)
Cons:
- very far from home
- less of a chance of matching into NY residency (therefore, potentially 8+ years away from home)
- stuck in Gainesville for 4 more years
- mostly Florida residents (have the opportunity to go home whenever they want)

Stony Brook
Pros:

- 30 min drive from home/family/friends
- better chance at NY residency (and even if I don't get NY residency, at least I had 4 years home)
- slightly higher STEP scores
- match list is mostly NY and amazing northeast residencies
- mostly NY students
Cons:
- not the nicest looking medical school
- needing to drive to campus
- H/P/F (more stressful?)
- students don't seem to LOVE it

When looking at the actual medical school/campus/student body, UF seems to stand out, I think I would be very happy there. But I also think Stony Brook might have an advantage in terms of my future and wanting to be in NY for residency or at least the northeast. And the thought of going to UF and being away from home for 4 years and potentially 3-5 more years is tough to think about.

I am truly undecided :/

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to you to match in NYC? If this is very important to you, Stony is definitely the better option as it has the clout/connections with program directors.

Next, something you didn't mention is cost. Are finances similar?

It seems from your post you would be happier at UF, but family/social support is also something you shouldn't discount. The rankings are similar enough that it shouldn't matter in terms of prestige.

SB is definitely the better pick for you, IMO. Medical school is going to be tough, so don't discount how easily you could just visit home for a home-cooked meal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I value being close to home and family, and would probably choose Stony Brook over UF. I don't know much about UF, but I know Stony Brook is a strong school that offers a ton of resources for you to succeed and match in NY for residency. Good luck!