just got my score, wonder if it is good enought for UQ traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPotato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an international student wanting to apply this year. I wonder what is the average for UQ and what is my chance in getting into UQ with a mcat score of 505 and a 3.25 GPA?

I'm feeling a little bit frustrated because it's my second time taking mcat already and I feel like given I've improved from my first one, 505 doesn't seem to be enough for anything... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm an international student wanting to apply this year. I wonder what is the average for UQ and what is my chance in getting into UQ with a mcat score of 505 and a 3.25 GPA?

I'm feeling a little bit frustrated because it's my second time taking mcat already and I feel like given I've improved from my first one, 505 doesn't seem to be enough for anything... :(

Hey, have you applied to UQ before?

It's um..not particularly competitive compared to the USA or Canada.
What country are you from? Or general part of the map if not wanting to be specific? (Asia or North America or Europe or something)

I know on the website the MCAT score is to be determined. According to Oztrekk, one of it's recruitment agencies, new MCAT cutoff is 499.
The cut off previously with the old MCAT was like 8/8/8 or 26 overall. (V.s. most North American schools probably wouldn't consider anything below 10/10/10) And when they mean GPA of 5, it's a 7 point scale. A 5 is roughly 65-70%. So you should be fine with a GPA of 3.25 on the 4 scale
See: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1964607. Sorry, can't find an official UQ link available publicly, but it's accurate. (If you're unsure, give an adviser a call, more official that way anyway than a public forum of anonymous posers. *posters)

They don't interview very intensely.
Last I heard it was like 5 mins of consultative skype to check that you're not crazy and that you're sure you want to go.
(correct if I'm wrong). A few years ago they didn't interview at all.

I wouldn't rely on Oztrekk for advice (it's a business, they get paid by UQ to recruit students, so vested interest in winning you over), however, if you go through them there's no application fee. Applying through them also allows you to submit one application and they can direct it to multiple medical schools on your behalf. A couple of schools don't even require the MCAT in Australia. If you're really desperate. (e.g. JCU - but it's 6 years, direct from high school entry).

I wouldn't worry about getting in if you apply early enough.
It's a rolling application thingo. Meaning they don't take in a mass of applications and review them.
It's more like..you apply, if you meet minimum cut off you get in. They keep adding students until they meet quota. It's rare that they turn students away (actually they find it surprising when they do). Seeing as it's a class of 500-550 each year - of like 170 Ochsner students (maybe more) and up to 100 traditional UQ international students, you probably wouldn't have much of an issue.

Honestly, just apply and see what happens as it doesn't cost you a thing if you go through Oztrekk.
The question really is are you sure you want to?

Last edited:

The website should tell you what you need. Last I checked when I applied 2 years ago the traditional 4 year international (non ochsner track) required an MCAT minimum of 496 no interview (Ochsner required 499 plus interview).

They started doing interviews for ochsner students 2 years ago but to my knowledge international students still don't interview (check website if this has changed).

I think a 505 and 3.25 would be competitive as an international to all Australian medical schools provided you apply early. (I had 3 oz med acceptances with worse stats). Although I do think that it is trending slowly more competitive over time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, have you applied to UQ before?
Nah, I haven't applied to UQ or any aussie schools before because I'm only graduating this June. And I'm from Hong Kong btw :) we don't really have program here that offers graduate entry so I'm applying elsewhere.

I've heard about the rolling basis thingy as well, not really sure how it works, but will definitely apply when the application is open for internationals.
Btw, why is it rare that they turn students away? I think UQ med is a highly competitive program? I mean, compared to other aussie schools coz I see that their cutoff is the highest for domestic students, though of course I know that internationals and locals aren't competing in the same way.

I had 3 oz med acceptances
Hi, do you mind telling which 3 schools? I will be taking GAMSAT next month to see if I can get my stat up and apply for Sydney U in May after I get the result.

No. Aussie medical schools are not competitive if you're international.
Yes it's competitive for domestics, because their government subsidizes their education.

If you don't meet the cut off for UQ you get turned away. That's fairly simple.
But if you meet the cut off minimum, I'm serious, they rarely turn students away. some years they don't meet quota. Occasionally they do and have to turn away a few because they applied so late in the year.

Bottomline is, the schools need money or want money (take your pick). It nets them full-fee paying international students footing $300k in fees for degrees each. UQ in particular takes the largest number of internationals each year (by far). They will take in..just about anyone to fill their quota.

There are no job guarantees after grad for internationals.
You have to think really hard about what happens after you gets your degree (if you get that far).
If you're from HK.. It's hard to apply for residency in HK if you're not HK medical school trained (I know it's very competitive to get into an HK school). Have you applied for med school in HK at all? If you're intending to come to Australia, I gather you need/want internship and residency training in Australia afterwards? The job process is not an easy journey. It's becoming increasingly hard for people to find jobs, not just after internship, but every year after that. There's a predicted oversupply of doctors in Australia by 7000 by 2030. It probably won't affect how they recruit med students (again $$$) but it will affect how you get a job if you want one in Australia. That would be the fine print that everyone kinda takes for granted. Irony is that so many premeds just enrol anyway and go I'll worry about it later..except that later is after you've dropped a quarter of a million and put in a lot of effort in studying etc.

If you really want to get into an Australian school with your scores..I'll repeat, you won't have any issues if that's what you're wanting. If you want to go back to HK after graduation, and/or you want job security, I would suggest that you stick to a medical school at home. Whether or not it's grad or undergrad, doesn't make any difference. Everyone comes out as a doctor. The real issue is how feasible it is to apply and obtain residency. You don't automatically become a consultant or attending after graduating from medical school, you still have to apply for further training afterwards. That training is heavily reliant on public hospitals and governments paying for you and universally, they tend to be stingy.

The one exception is Singapore. Singapore has a massive shortage of doctors and love Australian med graduates. That's like..the one place where I can confidently tell premeds from that country, that it'll be okay. You'll have a job after grad and probably even a scholarship.

The rolling application. It's exactly how I explained and what is described on the Oztrekk website. You put in an online application sometime before November. Their school year starts in February. Earlier the better because it's first come first serve basis. Then you wait for your acceptance letter. Done. (Also thanks mcat_taker for clarifying) - apparently no interview. There's no June or July deadline that most other Aussie schools have. If you're really not sure, phone them directly. Phone or email an adviser or UQ international student officer for prospective students.

There was one year they did interviews. I don't know if they'll bring it back. Even when they did them..they were 5 mins long, they aren't like the challenging interviews where you spend a half day in live interviews or something.

Try this webpage that an Aussie med grad made for premeds:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ool-search-engine-for-aussie-schools.1242379/.
It's very well done and *free/independent.
That will tell you all the Aussie medical schools you can apply to, their admission requirements and fees.

Last edited:
There are no job guarantees after grad for internationals.
A Leaky Sieve Thank you for the info ;) I understand that it's getting harder and harder to get residency in aus for internationals, but for some reasons (not only that fact that we don't have grad entry) I don't actually want to stay in Hong Kong, so I think I would still want to try first :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fair enough if you don't wish to stay in HK.
But I mean, I don't know you from any other random that posts on a public forum. So, I didn't really know what your goals were from your original posts alone. Hence touching on those two pathways after grad.

Nevertheless, you've been forewarned!
Easy in. No easy out.
It's not like say the USA or Canada, where it's harder to get in, but comparatively easier to obtain post-grad training (if you survive their licensing exams).

To reiterate, it's not straightforward to obtain with residency or registrar positions (you need both in Australia) to complete your training. It's very opaque and complex. It's not as simple as submitting an application and then assuming that if it's outstanding enough it will get seen.

And unless you wish to go into family medicine, you'll have a challenging time finding hospital based positions for registrar training. It's not necessarily about "competitiveness", family med is highly respected. However, it is the area that will always be the greatest in demand and have the most positions. Most patients are based in the communities, not in the hospitals. We're facing a glut in graduates, and maldistribution as most want to remain in the cities. Most international students will end up rural, depending on the state, most are actually rural now anyways.